Speculation: Jonathan Ericsson close to signing an extension

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ericsson, among other valued traits, has hands-down the best stretch pass on the team. Me being a forward with speed, he's my favorite type of d-man to play with. A guy who is reliable defensively and who can hit me at the far half of neutral ice from his own zone.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Does not really fit with what Hjalmarsson and some of the other defensive D-man stalwarts are getting. It really shouldn't go higher than 4.25 million given the market.

Hjalmarsson 4.1 (Just extended)
Emelin 4.1 (just extended)
Gorges 3.9
Seidenberg 4.0 (Just extended)
Vlasic 4.25
Stuart 3.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Beauchemin 3.5

Don't see how in the world he gets to 5 million.

The problem for the Wings, and I guess for any team is that agents use comparables in a way to reflect actual assignment and ice time. If you have to use E as your #2 because you don't have a better #2, well the agent is going to want a salary reflective of league-wide #2s. There's actually quite a range of ability/talent in that group.

I'm sure they will want to lock him up for 4-5 yrs, and knowing KH, he may want an even longer deal....

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
The problem for the Wings, and I guess for any team is that agents use comparables in a way to reflect actual assignment and ice time. If you have to use E as your #2 because you don't have a better #2, well the agent is going to want a salary reflective of league-wide #2s. There's actually quite a range of ability/talent in that group.

I'm sure they will want to lock him up for 4-5 yrs, and knowing KH, he may want an even longer deal....

yep, that's the problem for the wings, unless ericsson is taking a discount. and i mean a real one, not the fake ones like franzen.

and knowing holland we can be sure ericsson gets a NMC, even if he didn't ask for it.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Ericsson, among other valued traits, has hands-down the best stretch pass on the team. Me being a forward with speed, he's my favorite type of d-man to play with. A guy who is reliable defensively and who can hit me at the far half of neutral ice from his own zone.

He and Kronwall both make me really nervous whenever there's action right around the net. It's like they forget everything they ever learned about positioning. He's been good in the other areas.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What do you mean? Like not flashy in any one area?

Whys that even matter? Lidstrom didn't have any stand out ability. Not very fast, not the strongest, not a big shot. But that didn't matter.

Ericsson can play a lot of minutes and play sound defensively, while transitioning the puck efficiently. If he's mediocre id hate to hear what the other 3/4 of our d is.

Lidstrom was the best pp-quarterback ever, his shot had the highest accuracy that I can remember, his positioning in the D-zone was 2nd to NONE, he had LOTS he was VERY GOOD at.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He and Kronwall both make me really nervous whenever there's action right around the net. It's like they forget everything they ever learned about positioning. He's been good in the other areas.

I think he's a very good #4 and is just as good as Stuart was for the majority of his tenure. I know what you mean about his positioning around the net. Reminds me of how Stuart used to fall down and flail around.

But while Ericsson being re-signed is great, Holland needs to dump Quincey and find another true top 4 defensemen.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
But while Ericsson being re-signed is great, Holland needs to dump Quincey and find another true top 4 defensemen.

preferable someone who is able to move the puck, because that's what this team is missing.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Quincey is a prime example of what's wrong with this team. They need more puck possession and Quincey is the antithesis of that. Head down too much, too many dumps that go straight to the other team instead of finding the open man, and can't pass for **** when he does manage to look. Almost feels like he gets worse every game, but that might just be mounting frustration.

crashman

Quincey is a prime example of what's wrong with this team. They need more puck possession and Quincey is the antithesis of that. Head down too much, too many dumps that go straight to the other team instead of finding the open man, and can't pass for **** when he does manage to look. Almost feels like he gets worse every game, but that might just be mounting frustration.

I defended Quincey for awhile (and the trade), but I think you may be right, he is getting worse. The guy just doesn't play a smart game at all. He's done in Detroit after this year.

His passing is terrible.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I defended Quincey for awhile (and the trade), but I think you may be right, he is getting worse. The guy just doesn't play a smart game at all. He's done in Detroit after this year.

His passing is terrible.

He is literally *the only* defensemen that I cannot recall a single time where I've said "Damn. That was a nice pass." Ericsson makes some great outlet passes and even springs people occasionally. Kronwall of course. Kindl sometimes, and even Smith. But Quincey....

Now, I personally think he's not been *that bad* defensively at least. He's made some good plays breaking up odd man rushes and getting sticks in lanes. That's great. I think he looks better now than I ever remember him being on this team.

But if you're trying to build a puck possession team, Q is not the way to go. One of him is enough, zero would be better, but maybe that's not realistic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lidstrom was the best pp-quarterback ever, his shot had the highest accuracy that I can remember, his positioning in the D-zone was 2nd to NONE, he had LOTS he was VERY GOOD at.

I thought maybe you were talking about physical traits, which is why I was looking for clarification.

Ericsson is very good defensively and very good at positing defensively as well.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I love that you snuck in a scouting report on you as a player :laugh:

Had you pegged as a 2-way forward, dependable but not too flashy... but now I'm totally buying you as the guy who never backchecks and instead spends your shifts cruising in the neutral zone, looking for that stretch pass to send you in on a breakaway :nod:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I love that you snuck in a scouting report on you as a player :laugh:

Had you pegged as a 2-way forward, dependable but not too flashy... but now I'm totally buying you as the guy who never backchecks and instead spends your shifts cruising in the neutral zone, looking for that stretch pass to send you in on a breakaway :nod:

:laugh:

What is this back checking you speak of??

I saw the defensive zone once. Everything was backwards. It was weird.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Which is sad since Kindl, Smith are suppose to be exactly just that.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
preferable someone who is able to move the puck, because that's what this team is missing.

If we replace Q on the market it better be someone proven like Girardi or Phaneuf or something like that. Otherwise we're better off bringing Backman, Ouellet, Marchenko and Sproul to camp and let one win a spot. No more short term fixes, not with what we have coming. Trading prospects for someone proven is also an option, of course.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
He's not good at anything, not bad at anything = Medicore.

He is a pretty good depth 2nd pairing defenceman, and those arent THAT easy to find. Hopefully DRW can resign him, otherwise they have to get a replacement which I doubt will be any cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad