Speculation: Jonathan Ericsson close to signing an extension

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
On bright side, D Jonathan Ericsson on verge of signing extension with DET. Guessing 4 or 5 yrs, somewhere in $4M range, maybe touch higher.

Not a bad cap hit, given what some others have gotten. Plus the cap should go up a lot in the next few years.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I am fine with keeping him around for the next five years while we see how/if the prospects develop.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I'm cool with that.

This is what they're spending their time on, though? Really don't think this should be anywhere near the top of management's priorities right now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd be fine with four or five years. His signing all but shuts the door on Quincey, which I also look forward to.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's the best defensive defenseman the Red Wings currently have. In agreement that four years would definitely be better than five.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
remember when we didn't have any money or spot left for cleary?

:p:

I think it would be more for insurance than anything. I can't see Holland going into the offseason with Ericsson and Quincey unsigned. I think he'd end up signing one of them just to have the spot filled.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
:p:

I think it would be more for insurance than anything. I can't see Holland going into the offseason with Ericsson and Quincey unsigned. I think he'd end up signing one of them just to have the spot filled.

considering we only have 3 solid Ds at the moment, ericsson was a must signing. if you want to improve this D, you need to keep at least the good guys. although i'm sure holland will find a way to keep the bad guys too.

but signing ericsson to an extension is probably one of the best things to do at the moment. (unless he starts playing like crap once he has his extension, similar to kindl)

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Yea seriously. I'd like to hear your response.

Since we're not icing the best lineup we possibly can with the players we have under contract, his current top priority should be to figure out how to make that happen. Resolve the 17 forwards issue. Find a way to get Gustav Nyquist up. Find a combination that will allow any of lines 2-4 to contribute something.

With an eye on the longer term, we need to decide if we want to be a puck possession team. If so, why are we letting the Filppulas and Hudlers and Brunners walk while we re-sign the you-know-whos? If we don't want to play that style anymore and we're going in a more north-south direction, why do we still have a roster and cupboard full of small, often soft skill players? Do we have a plan to contend for a championship again while Dats and Z are still elite? If so, what is it and where's the evidence we're moving towards it?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. This organization is at a crossroads and has some big decisions to make (although they seem totally unwilling to do so). I think the Ericsson move is a good one, I'm just amazed that they have time to make it a priority right now. I dunno, maybe it's an easy deal to close and all, but it seems like it still must be taking some of their time and effort. :(

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Think 4.1 X 5 would be a good deal. We will see what it actually is, but getting this done was important. Guessing he will have some form of a NTC, he did on the last one.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Since we're not icing the best lineup we possibly can with the players we have under contract, his current top priority should be to figure out how to make that happen. Resolve the 17 forwards issue. Find a way to get Gustav Nyquist up. Find a combination that will allow any of lines 2-4 to contribute something.

With an eye on the longer term, we need to decide if we want to be a puck possession team. If so, why are we letting the Filppulas and Hudlers and Brunners walk while we re-sign the you-know-whos? If we don't want to play that style anymore and we're going in a more north-south direction, why do we still have a roster and cupboard full of small, often soft skill players? Do we have a plan to contend for a championship again while Dats and Z are still elite? If so, what is it and where's the evidence we're moving towards it?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. This organization is at a crossroads and has some big decisions to make (although they seem totally unwilling to do so). I think the Ericsson move is a good one, I'm just amazed that they have time to make it a priority right now. I dunno, maybe it's an easy deal to close and all, but it seems like it still must be taking some of their time and effort. :(

Holland's job isn't to figure out line combos, that's Babcock. To get Nyquist up and figure out the 17 forwards problem, they know what they have to do and what they're going to do. It doesn't take weeks to figure that out.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Working on an Ericsson deal right now absolutely should be one of their priorities. When you have an impending UFA whom you know you want to keep, you get him signed earlier rather than later. Standard operating procedure. They have plenty of time to work on this, given how many people are in the front office and the fact that there are only so many phone calls you can make in a day/week/month regarding trades.

Would be perfectly happy with something like 4 x 4.25, but I can live with a 5-year term as well.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I didn't mean Holland should dictate line combos, I meant if we can't get any of three lines to work with any of 17 forwards, perhaps we should bring in a new player.

To get Nyquist up and figure out the 17 forwards problem, they know what they have to do and what they're going to do. It doesn't take weeks to figure that out.

It has already taken weeks to figure that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad