Speculation: Jonathan Ericsson close to signing an extension

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
4 for 4-4.5 would be perfectly reasonable. I really hope they shy away from a 5 year deal though.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I didn't mean Holland should dictate line combos, I meant if we can't get any of three lines to work with any of 17 forwards, perhaps we should bring in a new player.

It has already taken weeks to figure that out.

They are waiting for an injury that'll last months or until they have the cap space. That's all they are willing to do.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I doubt his cap hit exceeds Kronwall's.

I don't know you can't really use Konner's cap hit as a basis since it was signed awhile ago under a different cap structure. I just look at it as free agent defenders get PAID, Holland is negotiating from a point of weakness and him getting played to take a discount seems to be a thong of the past. I think he definitely will exceed 4.5m a year.

Plus Kronwall is a good NHLPA soldier.I don't think he is the type to worry about whole has the higher cap hit especially if it means lowering the market in any way.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't know you can't really use Konner's cap hit as a basis since it was signed awhile ago under a different cap structure.

Kronwall was signed when the cap was higher, which is even more reason Ericsson's cap hit should come in lower.

I just look at it as free agent defenders get PAID, Holland is negotiating from a point of weakness and him getting played to take a discount seems to be a thong of the past. I think he definitely will exceed 4.5m a year.

I don't think it will, mainly because reputable sources are reporting "a little over 4." They could easily be wrong, but I was thinking 'a little over 4' before I even saw those reports. We shall see. "Definitely" is a pretty strong word in this case though :)

Plus Kronwall is a good NHLPA soldier.I don't think he is the type to worry about whole has the higher cap hit especially if it means lowering the market in any way.

I don't think how Kronwall feels really makes a difference. It's the Wings who won't want Ericsson's cap hit higher. He's not in the same class as Kronwall, and the Wings aren't one to throw their internal structure out of whack like that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious where he got that salary figure from. I'm willing to bed he gets closer to 5m per than 4 if not north of 5.

Does not really fit with what Hjalmarsson and some of the other defensive D-man stalwarts are getting. It really shouldn't go higher than 4.25 million given the market.

Hjalmarsson 4.1 (Just extended)
Emelin 4.1 (just extended)
Gorges 3.9
Seidenberg 4.0 (Just extended)
Vlasic 4.25
Stuart 3.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Beauchemin 3.5

Don't see how in the world he gets to 5 million.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The cap was higher yes, but the CBA was different. We are seeing higher AAV under the current structure than the previous.

Well yea definitely is a strong word. However it followed 'think as in it's my thought it will happen not saying it definitely will because none of us definitely know if it will or won't until it definitely happens. Or something...

Sure they can have that as the internal cap. However we will never have a true number one or bring in a quality free agent defenseman if Kronwall is the cap. Kronwall is not a superstar player his salary should be irrelevant. He is only highest paid because Rafalski and Lidstrom retired and Holland went all failbot on replacing them. Kronwall is highest paid just like he us a number one defenseman...by default.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sure they can have that as the internal cap. However we will never have a true number one or bring in a quality free agent defenseman if Kronwall is the cap. Kronwall is not a superstar player his salary should be irrelevant. He is only highest paid because Rafalski and Lidstrom retired and Holland went all failbot on replacing them. Kronwall is highest paid just like he us a number one defenseman...by default.

I'm not talking about any defenseman, or superstar defensemen, in comparison to Kronwall. Just Ericsson. I highly doubt the Wings would refuse to pay a premier defenseman more than Kronwall. But Ericsson is not premier.

That said, it's not just superstar players whose salaries are relevant. Kronwall wears an A, he's the captain of the defense, and he's our best defenseman, a true #1. His salary is very relevant to the other defensemen currently on the team, as well as anyone the Wings might sign.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Does not really fit with what Hjalmarsson and some of the other defensive D-man stalwarts are getting. It really shouldn't go higher than 4.25 million given the market.

Gorges 3.9
Vlasic 4.25
Stuart 3.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Beauchemin 3.5

as UFA he'd get 5mill easily. for an extension i think it depends what he wants and how smart his agent is. considering how bad the wings D is, the agent could argue that his client is worth 6mill simply because the wings barely have any NHL Ds. :D

but i got the impression that ericsson wants to stay, so i guess 5 years for a bit over 4mill will be the deal. and it would work for both sides.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if we're unwilling to pay any dman more then kronner then we are screwed as all dmen better then him get paid more

that said, ericsson isnt better then kronner and thus his salary should reflect that

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

Gorges 3.9
Vlasic 4.25
Stuart 3.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Beauchemin 3.5

Those are pretty good comps. I'd be happy with $4.1-$4.3 but I'd really prefer 4 years instead of 5. I just hate 5 yr deals

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
If its a four or five year deal for close to 4.0 a season then consider me a happy camper. He's been a very solid defensman for us the past two seasons, we definately need him going foward.... at least until Sproul and Ouellet make it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's not good at anything, not bad at anything = Medicore.

What do you mean? Like not flashy in any one area?

Whys that even matter? Lidstrom didn't have any stand out ability. Not very fast, not the strongest, not a big shot. But that didn't matter.

Ericsson can play a lot of minutes and play sound defensively, while transitioning the puck efficiently. If he's mediocre id hate to hear what the other 3/4 of our d is.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He's not good at anything, not bad at anything = Medicore.

Ericsson is great defensively. His offensive skills are so-so but the guy is a strong force on the blue-line. Him Dekeyser and Kronwall make a good trio of talent all around.

Just need one of Smith or Kindl to break out a bit or find another top-pairing/top-4 defenseman and we will have a very strong core on the back-end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad