Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
So now Drouin, after a stuttering start (IIRC) has hit a career high for points and may still eclipse his career best goals before the season is out.

All fan tribalism aside, I absolutely love it when a player has a career revival like this after they've been kind of left for dead. I know people were talking about a MacK/Drouin reunion for a while, but the fact that it came to pass, and Drouin's career bounced back in a major way, on a contending team, is just awesome to see. Especially since Drouin had mental struggles to overcome too. I hope he really does sign long term in Colorado and continues to prosper there.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Drouin normally can have a 4m x 4years but if he really want to stay as we heard, he need to take less than this.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I wonder what AAV would make sense for Drouin on a 4 year deal, taking him to 34 years old. Or are you thinking longer term?
I think they will target the AAV, so whatever term it takes to get him in under $4m is my guess.
I don't think the market will be out there for him to get much more than $4.5m anyway beyond a cap light team on the short term.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So now Drouin, after a stuttering start (IIRC) has hit a career high for points and may still eclipse his career best goals before the season is out.

All fan tribalism aside, I absolutely love it when a player has a career revival like this after they've been kind of left for dead. I know people were talking about a MacK/Drouin reunion for a while, but the fact that it came to pass, and Drouin's career bounced back in a major way, on a contending team, is just awesome to see. Especially since Drouin had mental struggles to overcome too. I hope he really does sign long term in Colorado and continues to prosper there.
Drouin might be a rare case where the tribalism is minimal. You don't see all that much hate coming from his former teams. I feel like TB fans (me) have wished him well the whole time. He looked like a major talent who went way off the rails. A lot of it was his fault, to be fair. But still, nobody likes seeing talent wasted, and I stand by the opinion that, when he was in TB, he looked well on his way to becoming a star player.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Weird that an avs fans would try and troll a rebuilding team as if they don’t know what it is like.
I guess you didn’t read the post he responded too? Your guy he responded too has hate in his heart for the Avs/fans.. alls fair in love and war

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Drouin might be a rare case where the tribalism is minimal. You don't see all that much hate coming from his former teams. I feel like TB fans (me) have wished him well the whole time. He looked like a major talent who went way off the rails. A lot of it was his fault, to be fair. But still, nobody likes seeing talent wasted, and I stand by the opinion that, when he was in TB, he looked well on his way to becoming a star player.
Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part. I didnt mean tribalism in the sense that he has a bunch of critics out there, I mean more in the sense of the fans that are constantly invested in who "won" or "lost" the trade.

Like you said, Drouin the player was justifying his hype in his early days in the league. As a Pens fan, he was made me afraid every time he touched the puck in that 2016 ECF. I thought at the time "TBL have yet another young star". Obviously the MTL trade/situation was alot of pressure, and sounds pretty hellish for the guy, but hopefully still being fairly young at 28 he has a long, healthy road ahead of him. And if they Avs have pulled another Nichushkin-style rabbit out of the hat, then everyone wins.

Side note, I remember thinking the Pens should try to nab him at 50%, in the last two years of his deal. Would've been a big roll of the dice, but at the time I thought it was worth the gamble even at 2.75M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad