Value of: Jonathan Drouin

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
On the one hand, nothing would please me more as an Avs fan than for your scenario to come to pass. But if you knew how some of these Avs fan touting Drouin’s play felt about him early on in the season then you’d know the turnabout in their opinion of his abilities is genuine and sincere. He’s a more complete player now and you have to be in order to successfully play in Bednar’s system. I hope the Avs keep Drouin but he deserves a fair opportunity wherever he goes. Drouin has earned it. And many players need the right situation to thrive. Nichuskin is a prime example.
His being genuine and sincere has never been in question, he just needed to be in the right mindset to commit to it.

In Montreal a few times you could see he'd turned a corner, once starting to be more involved physically.... and then getting hurt because it had never been his style, and having issues staying committed to the level of involvement that got him hurt.

I'm not sure he'd do well elsewhere, it seems to take him a while to settle in, which is why I'd rather see him in Colorado (despite my deep annoyance at seeing someone succeed elsewhere after flaming out in Montreal, after being essentially handed the keys to the city and seeing a highly touted young D moved for him)

Think the best option for Drouin would be to sign a 1 year extension with Colorado. He's been a completely different player since the New Years, and his play should carry over to another team. If he stays another year I can see him hitting 65-70 points and then cashing in with a different team.

Selfishly I would love for him to sign a discounted multi-year extension.
Yup, if he could have a solid year from end to end, next season, a 3-4 year deal elsewhere might suddenly be a reasonable option.

Reactions: lionsDen

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I agree that Colton is the most likely one, but if Landy is healthy and Drouin sticks around, Lehk is getting pushed down to the 3rd line too, which makes his $4.5m cap hit less than ideal.

And Manson wouldn't be my choice to move either, but if Walker is getting a raise, I'm not sure how you justify keeping them both behind Makar.
Why would Walker wanna stay? I feel like he's much better than the #4-5 he is on the Avs, and could certainly get paid on the UFA market. Ya'll shouldn't move Manson either.

There are some guys like Lehkonen and Nuke who made sense to keep. But I just don't see the benefit for Walker in terms of money and minutes

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
His being genuine and sincere has never been in question, he just needed to be in the right mindset to commit to it.

In Montreal a few times you could see he'd turned a corner, once starting to be more involved physically.... and then getting hurt because it had never been his style, and having issues staying committed to the level of involvement that got him hurt.

I'm not sure he'd do well elsewhere, it seems to take him a while to settle in, which is why I'd rather see him in Colorado (despite my deep annoyance at seeing someone succeed elsewhere after flaming out in Montreal, after being essentially handed the keys to the city and seeing a highly touted young D moved for him)

Yup, if he could have a solid year from end to end, next season, a 3-4 year deal elsewhere might suddenly be a reasonable option.
Let's be clear many of the stupid and ignorant takes in here about Montreal and Habs fans have less to do with Drouin, and more to fit into an obnoxious opinion about the franchise they hate.
I'm very happy to see Drouin turn it around and hope he finds professional stability in colorado. He's had a great year. He's a good guy.

All of this stuff about blaming Montreal has been beaten to death. He wanted
to be traded here. Bergevin desperate for a C was happy to oblige.
Him being miscast is on Bergevin and his incompetencies.
The pressure is part of hockey; it exists in other markets too.
Guess what? booing does too. I know it's shocking to some of you.
Also Drouin's rep preceded him, the entitled part which grew out of TB and his relationship with Yzerman.
Guess who his agent is? Montrealer, Allan Walsh

He had a lot on injuries in Montreal, especially chronic wrist issues.
Once he missed the covid run, and it was explained to fans that he had chronic insomnia and anxiety issues his whole career, the habs fans who like
to take things a little too passionately (like many team's fans here) backed off.
He was fine, he played out his contract and was done.
He still lives here, has a successful, charity golf tourney here and was roundly applauded on his return.
that's it.
May he continue to find success in colorado

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Why would Walker wanna stay? I feel like he's much better than the #4-5 he is on the Avs, and could certainly get paid on the UFA market. Ya'll shouldn't move Manson either.

There are some guys like Lehkonen and Nuke who made sense to keep. But I just don't see the benefit for Walker in terms of money and minutes

Sure, he can easily get paid more and get more minutes on the UFA market. But, he's also almost 30, and if he wants to win the Cup in the next couple of years, there aren't many teams that give him a better chance than Colorado.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
As a Habs fan I'm really happy that Drouin is playing well. Things never really worked in Montreal, and the fact that we gave Sergachev for him made us all salty with him underperforming.

I can see him sign something like 2-3 years at 3-3.5M$/yr in Colorado.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It really will be pretty fascinating to see what he gets. I think it’ll be one of the most interesting contracts of the summer. He’s been flat out good. Not like “oh cute story, he’s handcuffed to MacK and has some points” type of good but like legitimately top six good on his own merits. He’s shooting, playing hard both ways, of course is a skilled playmaker.

Does he view the Avs as such a perfect place for him that he takes less than what his pure market value may be? Do the Avs offer him less AAV but give him an extended deal for security? Do other clubs view him skeptically - again that perfect scenario season and in his market lukewarm vis-a-vis his production? Or do some clubs say yeah, this looks repeatable and Drouin looks like a matured and talented player where Montreal was actually the outlier nightmare scenario for him (I’m not blaming the Habs here FYI…) and he ends up getting some really good offers?

You can look at this next contract for a myriad of angles…I don’t think any of them are “wrong”. My guess is the Avs extend the security of a very long term contract in order to get the cap hit palatable and I think that security may appeal more to Drouin than anything else. That said…if he hits the open market, anything can happen.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sure, he can easily get paid more and get more minutes on the UFA market. But, he's also almost 30, and if he wants to win the Cup in the next couple of years, there aren't many teams that give him a better chance than Colorado.
Exactly he's almost 30. This is his last big contract. And it's not like he's made boatloads of money already. 12 mill in career earnings total. This isn't a guy who's already made 30+ million coming. I'd expect him to secure the bag

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me to see a 5x3.25. Tiny bit more money than 4x4, which he may get on the market by someone who's noticed the transformation of his play outside of "points 'cause MacKinnon".
Also a bit cheaper than Lehkonen, which would have to go. Plus someone else.
This summer is going to be so interesting cap-wise for the Avs, unless you're a psycho Finnish hf-poster, of course. Then it's easy-peasy:laugh:
You want to move Lekhonen to keep Drouin!?

Playoffs will determine where he is at. When the hitting and grind starts, Drouin typically wilts.
It's hard to know what's the norm for Drouin...

Exactly he's almost 30. This is his last big contract. And it's not like he's made boatloads of money already. 12 mill in career earnings total. This isn't a guy who's already made 30+ million coming. I'd expect him to secure the bag
12M ? He had a 5.5M contract for 6 years with the Habs + his ELC + one year deal with the avs. Can't remember if he got a bridge deal in Tampa also?

Reactions: pth2

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I'm not suggesting that he should sign with the Avs at a massive discount or anything, but if the choice is between the Avs at close to market value or a bottom feeder offering a little more money, the allure of actually getting to play in the playoffs and potentially win a Cup could help sway things for the Avs. He will have chances to make money after he retires from hockey. He won't have more chances to win the Cup.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Actually, this IS a guy who's already made 30+ million. To be exact $35 360 271

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Actually, this IS a guy who's already made 30+ million. To be exact $35 360 271
Sean Walker has had 2 NHL contracts:

2.6x4 and 0.75x2.

You want to move Lekhonen to keep Drouin!?

It's hard to know what's the norm for Drouin...

12M ? He had a 5.5M contract for 6 years with the Habs + his ELC + one year deal with the avs. Can't remember if he got a bridge deal in Tampa also?
Sean Walker never played for the Habs

Reactions: dirtydanglez

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
With an opening line like that, it's clear you won't be capable of providing any value to the conversation.

I assure you, nobody else read beyond your first line either
The vitriol directed generally at habs fans is over the top.
Sure, a few habs fans are bitter and want to see Drouin fail, but that's just silly. The context for what Drouin went through is what most of my post is about.
I can't control that you're hurt by the truth and your arrogance makes you incapable of conversation.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue with this asinine back and forth.

good luck with Drouin. Hope you sign him

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The vitriol directed generally at habs fans is over the top.
Sure, a few habs fans are bitter and want to see Drouin fail, but that's just silly. The context for what Drouin went through is what most of my post is about.
I can't control that you're hurt by the truth and your arrogance makes you incapable of conversation.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue with this asinine back and forth.

good luck with Drouin. Hope you sign him

After however many years of incessantly trying to pawn off Price, or Ryder+Halak+2nd, or Monahan, or even Drouin, to the Avs, usually at seriously laughable valuations, I'd say the vitriol coming from Avs fans has been well earned by some of the more active Habs fans around here. If you don't like this truth, maybe you could convince those members of the Habs fanbase to stop making the rest of you look bad.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm betting 5-6 years, at $3-4M in Colorado.
I'll bet he's looking for something shorter. Might be in the team's best interest too -- this isn't a guy who lived up to his last long term deal.

I think a one year deal might be in the best interest of both sides. Let Drouin put up 80 points and show he's for real. (I say that as a guy who is hoping Drouin has a second go of it; he had so much potential in TB.)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Drouin signed a 6 year, $33M contract with Montreal in 2017. That's substantially more than $12M.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad