Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Cheap contract this year in Colorado to rebuild his value. 0.7pts per game altogether, basically a PPG player since the New Year, trusted with increasingly high ice time. Clearly fits well in Colorado.

How much is his next contract and does he get term? Are other teams willing to pay, or are they scared that he won't replicate outside of Colorado.

My initial thoughts are he gets a few year offer at a lower number in Colorado and if he's happy he takes it. Or larger one year contract on another team to prove it again, but with more money because of his play this year. I would love to see him stay in Colorado, I feel like a team like Chicago should give him a one or two year payday to play with Bedard. Help the team immediately, trade him at deadline.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He's definitely staying in Colorado
I would have to imagine he wants to stick around. But Colorado will have an incredibly hard offseason. They have to move out several guys, just not enough money to go around. Now if they win the cup this year, it makes it easier. But it's going to be a much different team next year.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I'm betting 5-6 years, at $3-4M in Colorado.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a 5x3.25. Tiny bit more money than 4x4, which he may get on the market by someone who's noticed the transformation of his play outside of "points 'cause MacKinnon".
Also a bit cheaper than Lehkonen, which would have to go. Plus someone else.
This summer is going to be so interesting cap-wise for the Avs, unless you're a psycho Finnish hf-poster, of course. Then it's easy-peasy:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BerthMania

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I would have to imagine he wants to stick around. But Colorado will have an incredibly hard offseason. They have to move out several guys, just not enough money to go around. Now if they win the cup this year, it makes it easier. But it's going to be a much different team next year.

Some of this depends on Landeskog. If he returns in the playoffs and is actually healthy again, it's a different off-season than if he's headed back to LTIR.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Some of this depends on Landeskog. If he returns in the playoffs and is actually healthy again, it's a different off-season than if he's headed back to LTIR.
It's still not easy even if Landy effectively LTIRetires. Mittelstadt is getting a raise, they probably want to retain Walker and maybe Duhaime and/or Trenin... Someone is still going to go out the door. And maybe not just one guy. Also you need to figure out what to do with Mikko. Obviously re-sign him, but he's going to get a raise. How much, and can the Avs afford it?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dont think winning the cup makes a difference. Theres only so much cap.

Avs will have to once again look for a cheap "steal" like they got with Drouin and Erod. Not too difficult since wingers are plentiful.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's still not easy even if Landy effectively LTIRetires. Mittelstadt is getting a raise, they probably want to retain Walker and maybe Duhaime and/or Trenin... Someone is still going to go out the door. And maybe not just one guy. Also you need to figure out what to do with Mikko. Obviously re-sign him, but he's going to get a raise. How much, and can the Avs afford it?

Absolutely. Landeskog going to LTIR only makes things a little easier, but there's still going to be some changes in the bottom 6.

If he's healthy, then we're probably looking at at least 1 but probably 2 of Colton/Lehk/Manson getting traded.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Absolutely. Landeskog going to LTIR only makes things a little easier, but there's still going to be some changes in the bottom 6.

If he's healthy, then we're probably looking at at least 1 but probably 2 of Colton/Lehk/Manson getting traded.
Colton is the most likely one. Good player but we need cheap depth and Trenin might just be a cheap but better value 3C. Getting assets for lehkonen would only work if Kovalenko is legit. Manson is too rare to trade.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Dont think winning the cup makes a difference. Theres only so much cap.
It makes it sentimentally easier for fans and the organization to let go of some of the players. It obviously doesn't make the math easier, only harder when the players you need to re-sign now have that cup winning pedigree.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This guy is a heck of a talent. Looks like a 1st liner more often than not. A better 200 foot player than I expected. Not amazing defensively or along the boards. But he does compete and he does win his share of battles.

His skating is great. His passing ability exceptional. Good size. It’s vexing this guys career found him where he was last offseason because he’s such an obvious player.

Trade Colton for whatever he’d fetch and reallocate most of that to Drouin on a 4 year deal. His chemistry with Mack is real.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colton is the most likely one. Good player but we need cheap depth and Trenin might just be a cheap but better value 3C. Getting assets for lehkonen would only work if Kovalenko is legit. Manson is too rare to trade.

I agree that Colton is the most likely one, but if Landy is healthy and Drouin sticks around, Lehk is getting pushed down to the 3rd line too, which makes his $4.5m cap hit less than ideal.

And Manson wouldn't be my choice to move either, but if Walker is getting a raise, I'm not sure how you justify keeping them both behind Makar.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Nobody is going to give him term or dollars. There's not a GM in the league dumb enough to think playing with a 140 point center isn't the reason for his very average production. This is the same guy 0 teams wanted at the deadline last year for even a 7th round pick. Everyone also knows his production will crater without that elite-tier player pushing him.

I guess he stays in Colorado or goes back to Tampa on a mildly cheap contract. He played well with Kucherov before and Tampa's got little cap space and a poor farm. He can also continue to play with an 140 point player. Or Edmonton.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

“Colton/Lehk/Manson”.

Why are we putting those three in the same convo. Lex is one of the Avs better and more important forwards.

Manson is a middle pair big RHD with some offensive chops.

And Colton is a rather disappointing, defensively deficient 3C that can’t PK or win faceoffs.

There isn’t a decision to make here. You trade Colton 10 times in 10 of you’re picking between those three.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
“Colton/Lehk/Manson”.

Why are we putting those three in the same convo. Lex is one of the Avs better and more important forwards.

Manson is a middle pair big RHD with some offensive chops.

And Colton is a rather disappointing, defensively deficient 3C that can’t PK or win faceoffs.

There isn’t a decision to make here. You trade Colton 10 times in 10 of you’re picking between those three.

Because those three guys have the only three contracts that could plausibly be moved for some cap savings without giving up a real core player.

And Colton being the easy answer doesn't mean he's definitely the right answer. If we need to add something to him to dump that contract, but could get a 2nd + good prospect for Lehk, is he still the right answer?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree that Colton is the most likely one, but if Landy is healthy and Drouin sticks around, Lehk is getting pushed down to the 3rd line too, which makes his $4.5m cap hit less than ideal.

And Manson wouldn't be my choice to move either, but if Walker is getting a raise, I'm not sure how you justify keeping them both behind Makar.
Landy isn’t going to be healthy. That’s a pretty big long shot. Lonzo Ball didn’t even come close in his recovery. I’d love to see it but Avs should be planning long term around a future without their Captain.
Because those three guys have the only three contracts that could plausibly be moved for some cap savings without giving up a real core player.

And Colton being the easy answer doesn't mean he's definitely the right answer. If we need to add something to him to dump that contract, but could get a 2nd + good prospect for Lehk, is he still the right answer?
Hell yes. Lex is close to a core player and Colton is close to a bust. That’s said. He’s a cost controlled bottom six C that can score a bit and plays a heavy game. Good skating. Some crappy team that can’t attract UFAs would toss us a middle round pick.

Won’t cost an asset to dump him. If he returns something like a 4th round pick, you pull the trigger. His cap space is way more valuable than he is to the Avs.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This guy is a heck of a talent. Looks like a 1st liner more often than not. A better 200 foot player than I expected. Not amazing defensively or along the boards. But he does compete and he does win his share of battles.

His skating is great. His passing ability exceptional. Good size. It’s vexing this guys career found him where he was last offseason because he’s such an obvious player.

Trade Colton for whatever he’d fetch and reallocate most of that to Drouin on a 4 year deal. His chemistry with Mack is real.
Playoffs will determine where he is at. When the hitting and grind starts, Drouin typically wilts.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Happy to see that Drouin seems to have revived his career in Colorado after being an absolute disappointment in Montreal and Tampa. I think not being "the guy" absolutely helps. He can just play his game.
To be honest he got completely f***ed around by Jon Cooper in Tampa because they got mad he wasn't getting molded into Ondrej Palat. Imagine seeing a guy with that skillset and stapling him to the bench and only playing him with 4th liners. We went through a year and half of that crap and said "time to go to the minors" for absolutely no reason. Then Drouin asked to be traded. Once that crap was over he was put with Kucherov and was one of our best players every night.

Then we go and run a globetrotters system perfect for Drouin from 2017 to 2019. Massive LOL's

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lionsDen and Sky04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad