Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Where Are Ü Now That We Need Ya? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, i see that too but I don't think it's as egregious as his lack of hockey IQ.
This is my guess, too. We saw his lack of IQ last year when he played C; we're seeing it this year with and without the puck. He's playing by rote, as if he's following a script given to him by coaches but gets lost if the situation wasn't covered in class. "I should be here... oh wait.... no, I've gotta move there now...", like a bad dancer in a ballroom dancing school. Drouin's got a natural instinct for carrying the puck solo. He's got a good shot. To become a complete player he needs to integrate better vision and decision-making. It may never become instinctive, but if you practice enough it may become part of his game. Will that happen here? No idea whatsoever, because I have no idea what the relationship is between him and Julien. Drouin's fate in Montreal largely depends how the head coach perceives him.

I'd be curious what we could get for him. As frustrated as we are with him, his youth and talent are still valuable assets.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
A 60 point perimeter player at $5M isn't the end of the world. Yeah I wished he played with effort like Gally, Domi and Lehky but that isn't going to happen.

If he could be moved for a d man that's maybe stuck in a team's cap crunch or just not in the numbers going forward, we should consider it.

Sure a 60 point player isn't the end of the world but Drouin isn't a 60 point player. He'd need 8 points in the next 2 games to reach 60.

Megaforce

Thankfully Habs brass will ignore the idiocy that is reigns in this thread.

If Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman had listened so the braying jackals we would have dumped Lafleur too and some other team would have been hauling those late-70s Cups.

Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, etc, will never have Drouin's speed or stickhandling abilities. If you think the PP is bad this season, try to imagine how bad it will be with Tatar shooting the puck in on every occasion and Gallagher chasing after it because they don't have JD there to haul it into the zone and dish it to Weber.

We know you didn't like Dandenault and Brisebois and Latendresse but that doesn't give you unlimited license to attack and belittle every French Quebecer who puts on a Habs sweater.

Reactions: Vern

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I have taken it pretty easy on Drouin thus far but this player has been very disappointing down the stretch when the team really needed his offense. He only has 1 goal and 5 assists in his past 24 games and all 6 points came in 2 games so he's been pointless in 22 of his last 24 games and that just isn't good enough. A player with the speed and skill that Drouin has should never be that bad offensively for such a long stretch of a season.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I have kinda given up on JD. HE will get his 50 or so points a year and thats decent but I think MB needs to explore moving him, in another Domi/AG type swap.

He just isn't bringing it and you can see CJ has lost confidence in the guy.

He is a decent player but I don't know if he has that extra gear in him needed to get to the next level.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It’s not a lack of talent or speed, it’s a lack of heart and attitude and probably he’s also a bit lazy. That won’t change. Despite that, I would keep him. He’s still young. He’s a legit 45-55 pts player with the right partners and we need those guys. Play him on the 3rd line and on the PP like now. Give him 14-15 minutes of ice time. And stop thinking he’s a marvel. He’s just an average player.
I don't find anyone who made it as far as Drouin has can be lazy. He's a 50+ point player in the best league in the world. He's worked on his craft to the point where he has a ton of tools to work with, you don't develop the kind of skills he has by being lazy, 99% of this board wouldn't be able to be half as committed as he has been.

He lacks some hockey IQ and he is easily frustrated when some of his tricks don't work, but I honestly don't think he's lazy. He's smug and immature, but not lazy IMO.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I have kinda given up on JD. HE will get his 50 or so points a year and thats decent but I think MB needs to explore moving him, in another Domi/AG type swap.

He just isn't bringing it and you can see CJ has lost confidence in the guy.

He is a decent player but I don't know if he has that extra gear in him needed to get to the next level.
I don't think he will get more points or same points next season if Julien remains the head coach. He's kindof burnt his chances with this coach, and that's why he's not playing an important role right now on this team. He had more quality ice time in the beginning of the season and better linemates, now he's playing with grinders and he won't produce as much if used that way.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

If Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman had listened so the braying jackals we would have dumped Lafleur too and some other team would have been hauling those late-70s Cups.

Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, etc, will never have Drouin's speed or stickhandling abilities. If you think the PP is bad this season, try to imagine how bad it will be with Tatar shooting the puck in on every occasion and Gallagher chasing after it because they don't have JD there to haul it into the zone and dish it to Weber.

We know you didn't like Dandenault and Brisebois and Latendresse but that doesn't give you unlimited license to attack and belittle every French Quebecer who puts on a Habs sweater.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but it's tough to drop lower than 31st on the pp in a 31 team league don't you think?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
This is my guess, too. We saw his lack of IQ last year when he played C; we're seeing it this year with and without the puck. He's playing by rote, as if he's following a script given to him by coaches but gets lost if the situation wasn't covered in class. "I should be here... oh wait.... no, I've gotta move there now...", like a bad dancer in a ballroom dancing school. Drouin's got a natural instinct for carrying the puck solo. He's got a good shot. To become a complete player he needs to integrate better vision and decision-making. It may never become instinctive, but if you practice enough it may become part of his game. Will that happen here? No idea whatsoever, because I have no idea what the relationship is between him and Julien. Drouin's fate in Montreal largely depends how the head coach perceives him.

I'd be curious what we could get for him. As frustrated as we are with him, his youth and talent are still valuable assets.
Ducharme worked with him in Halifax so he might be able to help him with the "what do I do when I don't have the puck?". Drouin has a lot of tools, but he's more of an individual talent. Once he can use his teammates better, he may be more productive (See Domi).

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I don't think he will get more points or same points next season if Julien remains the head coach. He's kindof burnt his chances with this coach, and that's why he's not playing an important role right now on this team. He had more quality ice time in the beginning of the season and better linemates, now he's playing with grinders and he won't produce as much if used that way.
Don't blame anybody. Himself blaming himself.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Ducharme worked with him in Halifax so he might be able to help him with the "what do I do when I don't have the puck?". Drouin has a lot of tools, but he's more of an individual talent. Once he can use his teammates better, he may be more productive (See Domi).
The concerns are way deeper than it seems.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but it's tough to drop lower than 31st on the pp in a 31 team league don't you think?
Remember when Marinaro said that Drouin would be THE best player in the league on the PP.. Lmao.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
52 points... He played a lot with our best player and he's not even able to leech points correctly.

Canadien: «veulent-ils détruire Jonathan Drouin?» - Guy Lafleur

Guy Lafleur Is outraged by the "treatment" reserved to Drouin.

Maybe we are all wrong...
I would never go against the words of one of the greatest habs of all time and my fathers and my own favorite player but Drouin has not been penalized as a hab. It has only been in the last few weeks that he has seen his ice time cut and his linemates changed and I don't think he has capitalized on playing against weaker competition either, he can be much better and I have seen it but he has to do the work required to be great just like Lafleur had to.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

It seems you’re trying to create some movement that no one is going to join you with on this board.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Remember when Marinaro said that Drouin would be THE best player in the league on the PP.. Lmao.
We just finished a disastrous season and Tony started throwing names out there along with the rest of his blah blah blah. I would have not made that trade especially when it involved a defenceman on a team so thin on D. It's done and hopefully they find a way to move him for some D help in the near future.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
We just finished a disastrous season and Tony started throwing names out there along with the rest of his blah blah blah. I would have not made that trade especially when it involved a defenceman on a team so thin on D. It's done and hopefully they find a way to move him for some D help in the near future.
The Bergevin special. Trade away a position of weakness to bring in another winger. He better fix his mistake and trade Drouin ++ for a good LD. Drouin is finished here IMO, he will never live up, and will be trashed.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Bergevin special. Trade away a position of weakness to bring in another winger. He better fix his mistake and trade Drouin ++ for a good LD. Drouin is finished here IMO, he will never live up, and will be trashed.
We definitely need help on D and Drouin might be the best way to get it.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's a question of triggering something. To provoke a brainwave. Nobody will do it in his stead. Begin to question yourself objectively speaking. Change once and for all your way of playing.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I would never go against the words of one of the greatest habs of all time and my fathers and my own favorite player but Drouin has not been penalized as a hab. It has only been in the last few weeks that he has seen his ice time cut and his linemates changed and I don't think he has capitalized on playing against weaker competition either, he can be much better and I have seen it but he has to do the work required to be great just like Lafleur had to.
Drouin go remove your helmet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad