Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Where Are Ü Now That We Need Ya? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
The only way I see Drouin getting traded is if he's going to whine to his agent to be traded again. If that happens, maybe we will get Keller this time. :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He's been improving his game in his own zone all year and he makes alot of really solid plays to get it out, he has 52 points, and he's the same age Marchand was when he had 55 points. Look at that guy now. I wouldn't throw this guy away. Let him develop however he needs to. I see no glaring weaknesses in this team anymore that require a sacraficing of assets to address. Mete has come in and been outstanding with Shea, Domi and Danault have been unreal and Kotkaniemi is going to be dynamite. Just let him play and I'm confident he'll figure it all out.

Marchand had a fraction of the talent... Could not be a worse comparison.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He's been improving his game in his own zone all year and he makes alot of really solid plays to get it out, he has 52 points, and he's the same age Marchand was when he had 55 points. Look at that guy now. I wouldn't throw this guy away. Let him develop however he needs to. I see no glaring weaknesses in this team anymore that require a sacraficing of assets to address. Mete has come in and been outstanding with Shea, Domi and Danault have been unreal and Kotkaniemi is going to be dynamite. Just let him play and I'm confident he'll figure it all out.
Marchand, as much as I dislike him, he is talented and made of sandpaper. JD is talented, and made of butter in July....not even close. Sad for us...............

I can't imagine what the guys on the team think, when this softie goes out of his way to never take a hit, or go to the net...

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Drouin and Marchand should never be uttered in the same breath, like ever.
1. Team mates seem to appreciate and like Marchand
2. Marchand can score goals
3. Marchand is not made up of butter that had been microwaved for 15 seconds like Drouin

I will just stop right there. Just please for the love of God. I understand the comparison to stats but that means nothing if you put up few points and cost your team in so many other ways

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I said last year that Drouin would not play out his contract here and I also said that if he continues his same song and dance on a new team that he would not see another NHL deal and tbh I wonder if it would even bother him? He has lost his will to live since the game against the Jets in February and no one but him knows why. I wonder if he struggles mentally with being an NHL player or even really wants to be one for that matter. I know that some of you reading this from me will scoff at my words because I haven't exactly been a Drouin fan. I hated the trade from day one because it was done for the wrong reasons and I stand by that.

We will move on from JD and I wonder if we would package him and our first round pick in hopes of getting a partner for Weber? I don't know who might be available or if another team would want him, I can't imagine he would be in high demand so we might have to add a little. We desperately need a PMD to play alongside Weber. Thoughts?

Reactions: CHwest

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He is soff soff soff.............

Guess who lost his man last night on the TB 2nd goal? Yup...late to the party as usual and it's in his net.

He avoided going to the net, and missed an easy tap in goal last night....and avoids getting hit to make a play over and over...he is a fish out of water right now...
I wanted to bring that up but I figured why spoil the party. A lot of people blamed Folin for that second goal.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I said last year that Drouin would not play out his contract here and I also said that if he continues his same song and dance on a new team that he would not see another NHL deal and tbh I wonder if it would even bother him? He has lost his will to live since the game against the Jets in February and no one but him knows why. I wonder if he struggles mentally with being an NHL player or even really wants to be one for that matter. I know that some of you reading this from me will scoff at my words because I haven't exactly been a Drouin fan. I hated the trade from day one because it was done for the wrong reasons and I stand by that.

We will move on from JD and I wonder if we would package him and our first round pick in hopes of getting a partner for Weber? I don't know who might be available or if another team would want him, I can't imagine he would be in high demand so we might have to add a little. We desperately need a PMD to play alongside Weber. Thoughts?
We need a lot of things and some of our top players will age out soon, so it compounds the problem IMO. I’d really dislike having to package Drouin with one our promising rookies to get a decent/good return. At best? I think we could get a lower 1st round pick. From who? I have no idea. Be good buddy!

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We need a lot of things and some of our top players will age out soon, so it compounds the problem IMO. I’d really dislike having to package Drouin with one our promising rookies to get a decent/good return. At best? I think we could get a lower 1st round pick. From who? I have no idea. Be good buddy!
We desperately need help on defense and Drouin might be part of a package that gets it, he is not a fit for this type of market, you can't disappear and be a high profile player in Montreal(see Pacioretty). He has the talent but not the will and it's tough to find positives in his style of game, if he was on a deep team and could not be in a relevant role I think it would suit him better, not here though, not here.

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
A 60 point perimeter player at $5M isn't the end of the world. Yeah I wished he played with effort like Gally, Domi and Lehky but that isn't going to happen.

If he could be moved for a d man that's maybe stuck in a team's cap crunch or just not in the numbers going forward, we should consider it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We are too quick to.throw talented players away. I still think Drouin can be a player, someone needs to find a way to make him tick. The tough love approach won't work with everyone. Still young, still skilled, we should explore more avenues here before piling on a struggling player.

I think he can turn it around.

Yip

Jul 15, 2016
It’s not a lack of talent or speed, it’s a lack of heart and attitude and probably he’s also a bit lazy. That won’t change. Despite that, I would keep him. He’s still young. He’s a legit 45-55 pts player with the right partners and we need those guys. Play him on the 3rd line and on the PP like now. Give him 14-15 minutes of ice time. And stop thinking he’s a marvel. He’s just an average player.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
A 60 point perimeter player at $5M isn't the end of the world. Yeah I wished he played with effort like Gally, Domi and Lehky but that isn't going to happen.

If he could be moved for a d man that's maybe stuck in a team's cap crunch or just not in the numbers going forward, we should consider it.
How can he be a 60 point player when he hasnt hit 60 yet?

Reactions: Sorinth

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Marchand, as much as I dislike him, he is talented and made of sandpaper. JD is talented, and made of butter in July....not even close. Sad for us...............

I can't imagine what the guys on the team think, when this softie goes out of his way to never take a hit, or go to the net...

Yet gets all the PP time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I feel like he might be hurt. But if he’s hurt and playing then he should fight through it like the rest of the guys.

Reactions: Megaforce

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We desperately need help on defense and Drouin might be part of a package that gets it, he is not a fit for this type of market, you can't disappear and be a high profile player in Montreal(see Pacioretty). He has the talent but not the will and it's tough to find positives in his style of game, if he was on a deep team and could not be in a relevant role I think it would suit him better, not here though, not here.
I don't want to nitpick because for the most part I agree with you but I'd reverse that highlighted part. I think he has the will but is lacking one major talent: hockey IQ. I see him busting his ass to get back on defense and then not knowing what to do EVEN when the d-men are telling him what to do. Drouin just doesn't have the hockey smarts. I don't think he is dumb. He sounds like an intelligent kid and he is fluently bilingual but when it comes to the fluid moments in hockey he is as dumb as a rock. By that I mean I'm sure if he's sitting on the couch next to me he can tell me where the players need to go but when he is on the ice making split second decisions he just doesn't have it. I don't know if you can learn that.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
There’s NO hope. Get him outta here and fast! Take a loss! Get a decent LD somehow. Drouin is useless. Suzuki or Poehling can have his spot. BYE BYE LOSER.

Reactions: endo519 and cphabs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't want to nitpick because for the most part I agree with you but I'd reverse that highlighted part. I think he has the will but is lacking one major talent: hockey IQ. I see him busting his ass to get back on defense and then not knowing what to do EVEN when the d-men are telling him what to do. Drouin just doesn't have the hockey smarts. I don't think he is dumb. He sounds like an intelligent kid and he is fluently bilingual but when it comes to the fluid moments in hockey he is as dumb as a rock. By that I mean I'm sure if he's sitting on the couch next to me he can tell me where the players need to go but when he is on the ice making split second decisions he just doesn't have it. I don't know if you can learn that.
A few posts up someone mentioned him not wanting to get hit and that's a very good observation of him and it's rare at the NHL level to be able to get to any sort of next level without being willing to pay the price and by that, I mean taking a hit. People use excuses for him by saying that if we expect him to be Gallagher in his work ethic than we will be disappointed and they clearly don't get it. In order for a player to be successful, they have to be willing to take hits and engage themselves physically at times in order to make things happen. This is why he has gone through such a long stretch without any production, the checking is tighter as teams gear up for or fight for a chance at the playoffs. Space that was available in December is not there today and paying the price is the only way you are going to get it and that is what he lacks.

Reactions: Yoor and endo519

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
A few posts up someone mentioned him not wanting to get hit and that's a very good observation of him and it's rare at the NHL level to be able to get to any sort of next level without being willing to pay the price and by that, I mean taking a hit. People use excuses for him by saying that if we expect him to be Gallagher in his work ethic than we will be disappointed and they clearly don't get it. In order for a player to be successful, they have to be willing to take hits and engage themselves physically at times in order to make things happen. This is why he has gone through such a long stretch without any production, the checking is tighter as teams gear up for or fight for a chance at the playoffs. Space that was available in December is not there today and paying the price is the only way you are going to get it and that is what he lacks.
Yeah, i see that too but I don't think it's as egregious as his lack of hockey IQ.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's another knock against him and I do agree with his poor decision making and tbh I see a bit of the same thing from Kotkaniemi at times but he is only 18.
Yeah, I see that in KK but here are other issues with him. His skating worries me not so much his speed as his edges, his handling of his stick when it comes to his shooting, passing and puck control Also, I don't see an offensive game to him so I think he'll top off as a #2.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
It’s not a lack of talent or speed, it’s a lack of heart and attitude and probably he’s also a bit lazy. That won’t change. Despite that, I would keep him. He’s still young. He’s a legit 45-55 pts player with the right partners and we need those guys. Play him on the 3rd line and on the PP like now. Give him 14-15 minutes of ice time. And stop thinking he’s a marvel. He’s just an average player.

So trade players that are well liked on the team just to get this kid going?

Reactions: nhlfan9191
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad