Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I wouldn't say he avoids getting hit at all costs but comparing Gallagher to him is kinda weird.

Gallagher never really has the puck on his stick for too long, the guy is not a playmaker.

Drouin on the other hand needs to be in control of the puck for long stretches if you want to maximize his talent so yeah he's a much easier target to get hit.

I think the opposite is true.

Gallagher, while not a playmaker, is a bit of a puck hog and it's not easy to take it away from him.

Drouin is actually more effective when he doesn't hold onto the puck for too long. He needs a lot of puck touches, but the duration of those touches is best kept short. He's a give and go kind of player, that's why he was most effective with Domi. As soon as he tries to slow it down, he runs into trouble.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yeah well, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

If people could just appreciate what he brings without always thinking he could do more he'll be just fine.
Given the salary structure of our team and our depth at wing, it's hard to appreciate a 50-point winger making $5,5M, who needs loads of cupcake minutes, including the powerplay, and doesn't bring much else.

Had he been a scoring leader on this team, the perception would be much different. People will readily accept flaws in a player's game, as long as he's an offensive catalyst for his team.

Drouin is superfluous, as last playoffs have demonstrated.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I expect Drouin to give a touching interview, maybe trying to raise awareness about mental health issues, respect and the importance of being there for each others.

And then, knowing this board, I fully expect people here to continue to shit on him on a daily basis, calling him names and trying to drive him out of town.

Yeah, even though I hang out here, I don't have a very high opinion of the average level of maturity and empathy of this board.

Hope I'm wrong.
Why is it not ok to be critical of his play? Every player in the league goes through the same thing....
I don't see people attacking him like you say......I just see fans frustrated with his play, and lack of effort...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Given the salary structure of our team and our depth at wing, it's hard to appreciate a 50-point winger making $5,5M, who needs loads of cupcake minutes, including the powerplay, and doesn't bring much else.

Had he been a scoring leader on this team, the perception would be much different. People will readily accept flaws in a player's game, as long as he's an offensive catalyst for his team.

Drouin is superfluous, as last playoffs have demonstrated.
Truth.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I expect Drouin to give a touching interview, maybe trying to raise awareness about mental health issues, respect and the importance of being there for each others.

And then, knowing this board, I fully expect people here to continue to shit on him on a daily basis, calling him names and trying to drive him out of town.

Yeah, even though I hang out here, I don't have a very high opinion of the average level of maturity and empathy of this board.

Hope I'm wrong.
I think that the average level of maturity is normal. But only 6-8 members of the site change the perception we have because they all post a tone of negative comments against players/coaches/GM/medias, especially from our province.
We feel that they are the barometer of all the members here, but not at all. Just open a thread about Drouin or Danault and you will see what i mean. The same guys, the same negative kind of comments, the same way to demolish a player with exaggerated overturned analyses . And then , next, they will turn it that they have the right to critic a player and it's us the problem because we are blinded by the name on the jersey

Reactions: dralaf

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think that the average level of maturity is normal. But only 6-8 members of the site change the perception we have because they all post a tone of negative comments against players/coaches/GM/medias, especially from our province.
We feel that they are the barometer of all the members here, but not at all. Just open a thread about Drouin or Danault and you will see what i mean. The same guys, the same negative kind of comments, the same way to demolish a player with exaggerated overturned analyses . And then , next, they will turn it that they have the right to critic a player and it's us the problem because we are blinded by the name on the jersey
With all due respect......most on this board do not care where a guy was born....they care about the play from a player.
Players from any country Russia, Sweden, or province BC, Ont, or Que should expect to be called out if they are mailing it in....and that's what happens....
It seems that then, certain posters start to segregate it....
Just my 2 cents....you may think I am one of the few you are talking about, and I say nothing could be farther from the truth....because I don't care about the back of the jersey....only the front.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Yes, you are probably right. I also noticed it's usually the same names, with a few new ones joining the club once in a while.

Reactions: ZUKI and dralaf

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Every pre season is different. :)
Full of hope and excitement.

I'm speculating that he changed. Drouin is not the same person he used to be. He took time to work on himself and got help. He won't be as inconsistant if he can sleep through his nights, for example. He built himself up and now will perform. I think it's a very plausible scenario. Hence it is a different preseason for Drouin this year. I can't wait to watch the Machabée interview. There are many things that can affect the performances of a player, not just talent and hard work.

Reactions: HankyZetts and ZUKI

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'm speculating that he changed. Drouin is not the same person he used to be. He took time to work on himself and got help. He won't be as inconsistant if he can sleep through his nights, for example. He built himself up and now will perform. I think it's a very plausible scenario. Hence it is a different preseason for Drouin this year. I can't wait to watch the Machabée interview. There are many things that can affect the performances of a player, not just talent and hard work.
As someone that has gone through depression I am pulling for him. I was one of his biggest critics.

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
I’ve noticed a trend in this thread that the very same people dismissing KK’s ability to put it all together are the same folks telling everyone that “this is the year” for Drouin. So I’m wondering what convinces people that Drouin still has room to grow at 26 while KK is done at 21
Drouin is a very special player....

He's the only player I've heard of to leave his team during a playoff run to the Stanly Cup finals.

With those kinda team building skills, I'm sure he's going to be very valuable to the Habs this year.
Just think of what he can teach to the young players.....
I'm surprised we don't have several offers for him, with the kind of skills he has.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Drouin is a very special player....

He's the only player I've heard of to leave his team during a playoff run to the Stanly Cup finals.

With those kinda team building skills, I'm sure he's going to be very valuable to the Habs this year.
Just think of what he can teach to the young players.....
I'm surprised we don't have several offers for him, with the kind of skills he has.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Rapala

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

You seem to know a lot about what he's done. Are you his wife or his mistress?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Every preseason, someone here says this
Oh yeah and point to the first 8 games where he puts up brian savage like early numbers of 4-5 points. Hell I wish him well each year. But if some of the busts on this team had the same rope as "super skilled guy" that drouin has this would be a different discussion. Even Kovy took heat for being a lazy player, (is it cuz he is russian?) but he had an undeniable skill level that I do not see in Drouin. And even an half interested kovalev was still putting up 70 points a year.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
(5 years ago) Just open a thread about Carey Price, Pk Subban, Max Pacioretty and Alex Galchenyuk and you will see what I mean. See, it can go both ways.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

In fairness, you can find this in a lot of player threads… the worst is the past season’s KK thread. The same posters continued to pile on in the offer sheet, good bye KK and Dvorak threads also.

Drouin and Danault threads are hardly the worst.

As for #92, I hope he’s recovered and has a solid season this year.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
It's shocking that this organization kept a french speaking player, who has been mediocre at best and hasn't lived up to expectations, over a young upcoming 21 year old center. Maybe KK overvalued himself but I can't blame him when players around the league are overpaid and don't contribute to the team's success. Once again, MB slept on the wheel. Excluding the Price, Drouin and Byron caphits, KK could have easily been signed to a comfortable 3.5/4 mil dollar bridge deal and the team could have traded a first for Dvorak.

Since Price, BargainBin has either traded, lost or released former first rounders which says a lot about player development. I don't expect Jo to be anything special this upcoming season. He should have been placed on unconditional waivers for an eventual buy-out. That would have at least helped the player sign elsewhere and get another crack at it. Expectations will be extremely high this season and I don't see this failed experiment lasting longer than it should. Hopefully, he has a solid start to merit a trade for some needed help at the backend.

Once again, Alzner and Drouin are the gifts that keep on giving. Many thanks to BargainBin for trading a promising LD to please the media.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
In fairness, you can find this in a lot of player threads… the worst is the past season’s KK thread. The same posters continued to pile on in the offer sheet, good bye KK and Dvorak threads also.

Drouin and Danault threads are hardly the worst.

As for #92, I hope he’s recovered and has a solid season this year.
Well said.........we all hope for this, as we are Habs fans.....god forbid we point out the obvious on a player who has not lived up to expectations.
We need this guy to have a good season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad