Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
On Sept 20th (election day) RDS will broadcast a 30 min interview with Drouin.

Jonathan Drouin en entrevue sur RDS le 20 septembre

Looking forward.

Great timing. Anyway, I don't get the hate for Drouin at this point; it is what it is, let's just start over and hope he can become a legit LW threat. It's not inconceivable, especially if he had mental health issues that are now under control. It happens. We'll finally know more by then.

Reactions: dralaf and Gyfu

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Great timing. Anyway, I don't get the hate for Drouin at this point; it is what it is, let's just start over and hope he can become a legit LW threat. It's not inconceivable, especially if he had mental health issues that are now under control. It happens. We'll finally know more by then.

Won't change the fact he has a shit attitude and work ethic, is lazy, floats and won't play dirty areas. He's a waste of a roster spot.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Won't change the fact he has a shit attitude and work ethic, is lazy, floats and won't play dirty areas. He's a waste of a roster spot.

Where does this come from? I heard Jonathan Drouin was one of the most fanatical about hockey.

To say he's a waste of a roster spot is asinine. He had several good stretches which were broken by injuries or his leave of absence. He was clearly a Top 6 LWer in those stretches, and a good one at that.

Seriously, I can get both side on this issue but your post is just you spitting venom at the wall hoping it sticks.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Where does this come from? I heard Jonathan Drouin was one of the most fanatical about hockey.

To say he's a waste of a roster spot is asinine. He had several good stretches which were broken by injuries or his leave of absence. He was clearly a Top 6 LWer in those stretches, and a good one at that.

Seriously, I can get both side on this issue but your post is just you spitting venom at the wall hoping it sticks.

Did you see him play? I have zero respect for gutless players that won't go into the corners and fight for the puck. To say he is soft is an insult to the word soft. Venom? Ok, that's fair - I don't like the guy as a player. Never did, and never will. You do not win with cowardly players like him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Did you see him play? I have zero respect for gutless players that won't go into the corners and fight for the puck. To say he is soft is an insult to the word soft. Venom? Ok, that's fair - I don't like the guy as a player. Never did, and never will. You do not win with cowardly players like him.

Jonathan Drouin isn't softer than all the other soft players in the history of the NHL, many of which were phenomenal star players. It's not his job to park himself in front of the net. Couldn't care less about this hot take. Empty calories.

Clutchness isn't related to toughness. Patrick Kane is immensely soft, yet most clutch player of his generation. So was Guy Lafleur, who certainly wasn't a banging winger.

Reactions: Vachon23 and dralaf

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Jonathan Drouin isn't softer than all the other soft players in the history of the NHL, many of which were phenomenal star players. It's not his job to park himself in front of the net. Couldn't care less.

I can't remember a softer, more gutless player than he. Ever. In the 35+ years I've watched this game. He does nothing well at all. I don't get why people defend this guy.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I can't remember a softer, more gutless player than he. Ever. In the 35+ years I've watched this game. He does nothing well at all. I don't get why people defend this guy.

I mean Drouin isn't softer than Wayne Gretzky, yet the Oilers managed to win with that "coward".

Reactions: Surfer72

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I mean Drouin isn't softer than Wayne Gretzky, yet the Oilers managed to win with that "coward".

Gretzky was not afraid to go into corners at all. He would do the dirty work if he had to. He would hit and TAKE hits. Unlike Drouin. Also, Gretz had more talented in his pinky finger than Drouin will EVER have. Gretzky was a target because he was so talented, so was given tough guys as wingers - like Semenko, who Gretz would literally bank pucks off of into the net. Nobody has ever called Gretzky a coward. Ever.

Drouin IS the softest NHLer I have ever seen.

Reactions: amethyst

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Gretzky was not afraid to go into corners at all. He would do the dirty work if he had to. He would hit and TAKE hits. Unlike Drouin. Also, Gretz had more talented in his pinky finger than Drouin will EVER have. Gretzky was a target because he was so talented, so was given tough guys as wingers - like Semenko, who Gretz would literally bank pucks off of into the net. Nobody has ever called Gretzky a coward. Ever.

Drouin IS the softest NHLer I have ever seen.

Gretzky didn't take hits much. This is complete madness. There was even an urban legend of the "Can't hit Gretzky rule". Obviously this was exagerrated, and most of it came because Gretzky had eyes in the back of his head and was extremely hard to hit, but let's not pretend like taking hits was part of his game. If he took a hit, it was a mistake.

Now my example was just to use an extreme, caricatural case. Of course Drouin isn't Gretzky. But there are several soft players who were clutch throughout history. Hell, even Drouin performed rather good in the playoffs in his limited sample size.

I get that you hate him and he's not your type, but your judgement is way too severe and critical.

Reactions: dralaf and Gyfu

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I really don't see any of that.... well maybe the dirty areas part. If anything he tries too hard and gets down on himself.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Gretzky didn't take hits much. This is complete madness. There was even an urban legend of the "Can't hit Gretzky rule". Obviously this was exagerrated, and most of it came because Gretzky had eyes in the back of his head and was extremely hard to hit, but let's not pretend like taking hits was part of his game. If he took a hit, it was a mistake.

Now my example was just to use an extreme, caricatural case. Of course Drouin isn't Gretzky. But there are several soft players who were clutch throughout history. Hell, even Drouin performed rather good in the playoffs in his limited sample size.

I get that you hate him and he's not your type, but your judgement is way too severe and critical.

Gretzky took hits - but then you had to deal with Semeko and McSourley. He never avoided contact though. He even had a few fights in his career - one against Neal Broten, I think. Most were gloves on wrestling matches but still... anyway, fine - you're not saying Drouin is on par with Gretzky. Few are. You said he's clutch though? What makes Drouin cluth? Hell, what makes him even worthy of a roster spot in your eyes?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I really don't see any of that.... well maybe the dirty areas part. If anything he tries too hard and gets down on himself.

He was a healthy scratch in Tampa Bay, while considered the next big thing, for his poor work ethic and attitude. As a Hab - same story. Just not benched. Telling the media to look at his assist stats when having just two goals... the man has a bad attitude. He always has. The mental health thing, I won't comment on. That would be low of me. But his attitude even before removing himself from the team, has always been awful.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Gretzky took hits - but then you had to deal with Semeko and McSourley. He never avoided contact though. He even had a few fights in his career - one against Neal Broten, I think. Most were gloves on wrestling matches but still... anyway, fine - you're not saying Drouin is on par with Gretzky. Few are. You said he's clutch though? What makes Drouin cluth? Hell, what makes him even worthy of a roster spot in your eyes?

I'm not saying he's clutch, I'm saying his style of play doesn't preclude him from being clutch. That said, in the limited sample size of playoff games he had, he did nothing that would worry me. If anything, his mini run in Tampa was somewhat impressive, definitely on the "good" side more than the "bad".

As for your last question, he's worthy of a roster spot because he showed he could be one of the most offensively dominant player on the team for stretches that were long enough not to be a fluke, on top of his visible, visually obvious talent. He's 25 years old and scored 50 pts twice already, which were considered to be "underwhelming" for him; that should tell us about how people perceive his talent. Injuries and his mysterious leave of absence destroyed any momentum the last two seasons; as far as I'm concerned I just check them out and look forward in his case. Hopefully he can finally put it all together in a complete season.

Those are the main reasons why he would deserves a Top 9 LW spot, and quite easily so. The last season he played that wasn't screwed by injuries or leave of absence, he scored 53 pts. Not great but not bad for a Top 6 LWer.

Reactions: Vachon23 and dralaf

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I'm not saying he's clutch, I'm saying his style of play doesn't preclude him from being clutch. That said, in the limited sample size of playoff games he had, he did nothing that would worry me. If anything, his mini run in Tampa was somewhat impressive, definitely on the "good" side more than the "bad".

As for your last question, he's worthy of a roster spot because he showed he could be one of the most offensively dominant player on the team for stretches that were long enough not to be a fluke, on top of his visible, visually obvious talent. He's 25 years old and scored 50 pts twice already, which were considered to be "underwhelming" for him; that should tell us about how people perceive his talent. Injuries and his mysterious leave of absence destroyed any momentum the last two seasons; as far as I'm concerned I just check them out and look forward in his case. Hopefully he can finally put it all together in a complete season.

Those are the main reasons why he would deserves a Top 9 LW spot, and quite easily so. The last season he played that wasn't screwed by injuries or leave of absence, he scored 53 pts. Not great but not bad for a Top 6 LWer.

I guess we will see this season; hopefully it is a full season too. (Not Covid shortened). I think he has a lot to prove and will be expected to show more this year. For the Habs sake - I hope he finally lives up to his potential and expectations.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I guess we will see this season; hopefully it is a full season too. (Not Covid shortened). I think he has a lot to prove and will be expected to show more this year. For the Habs sake - I hope he finally lives up to his potential and expectations.

Oh we're in agreement here; he has to prove himself. That's all I'm asking, that people give him a chance, even if they dislike him for whatever reason, many of which can be defensible. But he deserves a chance, and honestly, we could use the boost, if he did fulfill his potential once and for all. That would dramatically alter our lineup.

Cheers!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's amazing that Brendan Gallagher is not afflicted by this fear or most players for that matter. Drouin avoids getting hit at all costs and he was that way before the great 8 ever touched him, it's a lazy excuse to gift to a pro hockey player.
I wouldn't say he avoids getting hit at all costs but comparing Gallagher to him is kinda weird.

Gallagher never really has the puck on his stick for too long, the guy is not a playmaker.

Drouin on the other hand needs to be in control of the puck for long stretches if you want to maximize his talent so yeah he's a much easier target to get hit.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I wouldn't say he avoids getting hit at all costs but comparing Gallagher to him is kinda weird.

Gallagher never really has the puck on his stick for too long, the guy is not a playmaker.

Drouin on the other hand needs to be in control of the puck for long stretches if you want to maximize his talent so yeah he's a much easier target to get hit.

Drouin starts bracing for a hit the moment the moment the puck hits his stick in the neutral zone. He has absolutely no idea how to create an offensive zone entry.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Drouin starts bracing for a hit the moment the moment the puck hits his stick in the neutral zone. He has absolutely no idea how to create an offensive zone entry.
Pretty sure he's one of our best players to be able to penetrate the O-zone with the puck on his stick on the PP.

Reactions: WinterLion

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pretty sure he's one of our best players to be able to penetrate the O-zone with the puck on his stick on the PP.

He can only do things on the man advantage because he has time. The fancy dekes rarely work ES. He can’t penetrate the offensive zone at all unless he dumps it in which played into our powerplay being so terrible. He’s as predictable as it gets when trying to gain entry and he does avoid contact. He can’t beat players at the blueline which doesn’t compliment our two best RW in Gallagher or Anderson at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad