Jonathan Drouin - Is there hope?

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I sitl love the kid. He just needs to be more consistent. When he is on he's money in the bank. He absolutely needs to be moved back to wing to have a chance though.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
His numbers last year were inflated because he was on pp1 with kuch and Hedman. He's a 50 pt player at peak...may get to 60 pts once and then a team will overpay thinking he's a 60 pt player.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
He would be the Leafs 3rd best center behind Matthews and Kadri and 5th best winger behind Marner, Nylander, JVR, and Marleau.

So, I guess he's a 3rd line center/winger who would be a decent 2nd liner in spot duty.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He would be the Leafs 3rd best center behind Matthews and Kadri and 5th best winger behind Marner, Nylander, JVR, and Marleau.

So, I guess he's a 3rd line center/winger who would be a decent 2nd liner in spot duty.
Drouin would easily replace Marleau or JVR on the wing.He would be fighting it out with Nylander. Marner i give you.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He should be fine. He just has straight trash to work with right now. Once the Habs are able to find a top 6 centerman and he goes back to being an offensive winger, his numbers will go up.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I bet LA could turn him around. We could pair him with one of our centers, all of which are either gifted in scoring or fast. We'd even make him a lethal penalty killer.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not enough to be worth mentioning (if he did at all).
I think we tried him the game after we lost four centers in the same game (I think Point was the only C that made it out healthy - it was right after the TDL so we didn't have Flip or Boyle, and Namestnikov and Johnson both were hurt and Paquette was as well I think), but then Gourde just completely outplayed him on the third line and that was all she wrote.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Drouin's kind of in the perfect storm of a bad situation in Montreal. It could be such a good situation if the people making decisions about his future weren't deranged morons, but unfortunately they are.

He's basically given a ton of rope there but being stubbornly misused. They hyped up his acquisition and extension to the high heavens; he's French, so Claude will always be lenient with him. If any other player had failed as clearly as he has playing center (albeit through no fault of his own, he's not a friggin center!), they would've been moved to a different position, but nah. He has endless room to make mistakes and fail and that's honestly bad for him. He needs to be coached in his proper position to learn and grow as a player, because he should be a damn good one.

At this point, unless Montreal finds a top flight center (or more than one) to push him to wing, or he develops off ice issues that get management on his bad side and get them to look to move him for someone with better character, he's stuck right where he is. Bergevin and Julien do not like to admit mistakes. They said he's a center, so he'll be a center for better or worse. I feel bad for him.

How long will Bergevin and Julien be around for? Shouldn't they be let go in the off season?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Can Drouin play on the RW? I saw the the lines for the Montreal Canadiens once and he was on the RW.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He can easily be saved if properly used. Dont' trade for a guy deployed as a middle-six winger with 1st unit PP time and then thrust him into the role as a number 1 center. If you are even going to try him at center, it should be in a very sheltered style. Even still, I remember when the Blackhawks attempted this for a short period of time with Kane, who even had Toews and Kruger to shelter him heavily zone-start wise and it was figured out pretty quickly move him back to the wing.

Give him a competent center he can probably be a perennial 60 point winger. I don't get how anyone thought this strategy could work.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Drouin would easily replace Marleau or JVR on the wing.He would be fighting it out with Nylander. Marner i give you.

What would Drouin be bringing to the table that makes him better than Nylander, JVR or Marleau?

He has elite looking skills but no toolbox and the Canadiens are the worst team he could have landed with to breakout. Who was the last French Canadian star in Montreal? Pierre Turgeon? He couldn't even hack the pressure. What chance does Drouin have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad