Jonathan Drouin - Is there hope?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No hope for him in MTL imo. He's not a center and he'll need a good center that they done' have to play wing well with.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If Montreal can sign Tavares, both would benefit greatly off of playing with each other. Would instantly be one of the most dynamic duos in the NHL.

Doesn't even have to be Tavares. Just bring in someone who is a legit center. Sign Tavares, sign Stastny, trade for Anisimov, offer sheet Brock Nelson. I don't care who or how. Any C depth that pushes Drouin over to the wing will help him.

I think he can be a part of the solution in Montreal. Just not in his current position (or with the current coaching staff).

Reactions: David Suzuki

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Bring that boy to Colorado, there is always hope in Denver ! Old pal Mack is there but sadly for him Barrie is now his BFF :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
They were traded (or in the case of Gardiner probably nearly traded) from one or more teams because they "weren't working out" and they ended up having a lot of success (or look like they will have a lot of success) on their new teams.

Kinda what I'm expecting to happen to Sam Bennett at this point to be honest. Unless a new coach comes to Calgary and does it here, I think they only way he's going to succeed is with another organization.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
He looks great when I watch him on the power play. I think when surrounded with more talent, his numbers 5v5 will go up a lot.

jack238923

Dec 15, 2017
That whole team needs a jolt of some kind. Maybe it's a new GM, maybe it's a complete reset. Not being a dick Leafs fan, but the eye-test says they haven't had the confidence of a top-tier team since the P.K. trade, even when Price is lights out.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He has so much skill he could stop practicing altogether and still have more skill than skilled players in the league, its everything else that I worry about.

Having it be that he just got paid and his team is suited against his strengths, he hasn't really cared this year, this is the worst hockey I've seen him play maybe ever. I've always seen him as the kind of player who looks great when everything for the team goes well, but he can't drive an offense that doesn't have the right pieces like a top Centre to take the responsibility off.

He could still be an amazing offensive talent if he finds the proper environment, for sure.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think that he is one of those players where we all thought that he would be the driver on his line. However, he just unfortunately isn't. In Flames' terms, he's like Bennett. So much untapped potential, but he can only really show it when he has solid forwards playing with him on the same line. I am confident that Bennett will pick up his game again if he is able to play with Gaudreau and Monahan more, or even get a little bit of time with Tkachuk. For Drouin, I am sure that he'll be a key piece for the Habs when they find more quality players that can play with him. I think Montreal just simply needs to find a center that will have really good chemistry with him.

Reactions: Haj

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Doesn't even have to be Tavares. Just bring in someone who is a legit center. Sign Tavares, sign Stastny, trade for Anisimov, offer sheet Brock Nelson. I don't care who or how. Any C depth that pushes Drouin over to the wing will help him.

I think he can be a part of the solution in Montreal. Just not in his current position (or with the current coaching staff).

so long as its not galchenyuk

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I never thought he would end up being anything great, but there's no question that he's miscast at the moment.

Judging by Julien's time in Boston, he is one of the worst coaches in the league for bringing a player like Drouin along. I can't help but think of Ryan Spooner. Julien never liked him but was more or less forced into using him at center, despite the strength and defensive issues. He still put up decent production, but the eye test suggested a square peg in a round hole. Spooner looked better under Cassidy, and now looks to be flourishing in New York. Shifting over to the wing probably has something to do with it as well though.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He should play wing, period. He doesn't have much to play with in Montréal though.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
put him LW and you will see ! this guy as to much talent

I actually think he was even better as a RW, though that could just be because that’s where we were playing him most recently. But it seemed like he was more of a goal scorer from that side.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think he can be a great power play weapon. I don't think he is efficient enough to be a big time 5 on 5 guy.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I said it when he was here - he can be great at making great plays, but he sucks at making good plays. Sometimes the cross-ice pass isn't there and the best play is to get it to the point or get it on net. He just doesn't have that mindset.

At the end of the day, he's still young and maybe he figures it out. I'm not putting money on it though.
Jamie McClennan was talking about Jake Gardiner a couple years ago and said: "Jake is always looking to make a million dollar pass when most of the time a ten dollar pass will do."

Sounds like what you're describing.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Here’s an example of what Drouin can give you when he actually feels like trying:

There were times with the Lightning when he would just singlehandedly take over games. If he would only play with that sort of intensity on a consistent basis he’d be a beast, but unfortunately you’ll only see that sort of effort from Drouin when he feels like giving it.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Can someone tell me if this Mulletman guy is trolling or not ? It's really hard to tell.

"As things are now, Drouin might be out of the League in the next 5 years..."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyway, Drouin is a tremendous talent but he's not a player who can drive a line on his own. He needs a big dominant 2 way player who will create space for him. I have a feeling in 2-3 years that player might be Ryan Poehling. That being said, I don't think he will ever be more than a 50-60 point winger which is why I absolutely HATED the Sergachev deal from day 1 :( :( :(

member 298589

The problem with Drouin is Bergevin. Just like when Bergevin initiates year 7 of his 5 year plan and trades Montreal's first round pick to Vancouver for Virtanen, giving him a large contract and claiming he is your first pairing D. The problem will not be with Virtanen.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin got everything he demanded this year and look at his result - Montreal is in tough times but he's also part of the problem not a solution from his play this year. Lackluster effort, poor decision making, zero defensive awareness and non-existent 5v5 play all this after being handed a fat contract shows plenty of character - just not in a good way.

What did he want in TB?

More ice time
Better linemates
Top line role

All checks in MTL as well as a coveted spot at C which he believed he was - what you have here is a guy who grossly overestimated himself and a GM who did the same. Cooper didn't do a bang up job developing Drouin but even he knew 2 games into playing him at Center that he wasn't one - MTL is at nearly 70.

Still laughing at the MTL fans telling us how good he'd be at center though - we're at the 70 game mark and his production is still in the 30's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad