Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No they're not...that's what being inconsistent or streaky, by definition, is.
So far, he has a run of good games, then bad ones...Been like that since he entered the NHL.
he's no doubt been inconsistant, but he's been having alot more good games than bad games lately.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Agreed. He has way more to give and he needs to move his feet. He's playing smarter and less dangling lately which is nice but he needs to play with more energy and speed IMO.
It’s coming, he’s producing points despite not playing to his potential, he will get smarter as he’s goes. He’s so young too, imagine what he could be in a couple of seasons...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Drouin's success is tied to Domi right now... which isn't a slight, it's actually a good thing. It's what a lot of us said last season which is that Drouin needs to play wing with a center who can drive the play for him and take some attention.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If anything his lack of consistency gives him that much more upside. If the guy ever finds it, 80+ is certainly doable.
Something that can be applied to most top 6 players..
Anyways, we will see. I think Drouin is a 60pt guy at most...hopefully he can more though.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Drouin's success is tied to Domi right now... which isn't a slight, it's actually a good thing. It's what a lot of us said last season which is that Drouin needs to play wing with a center who can drive the play for him and take some attention.

Domi and Drouin were primarily pass first guys before, playing together they are learning to shoot more and unsurprisingly both are scoring a lot more goals now.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
They both just work well together I think. Domi is driving the play but Drouin is right there in sync with him. Drouin is more complimentary and that's perfectly fine by me.

Reactions: habsfan909

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Only Peca and Shaw have worse possession numbers than Drouin on the team. Peca is the worst in the league. The other two are not far behind. I guess that's what some of the "haters" see when talking about Drouin. Stop thinking it's a French Canadian thing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
23 is the new 33?
23 is the "always has been" a player is what he is, unless he's been considerably held back by their team.

Points_aging_1_medium.png

Scoring rate for forwards, starts declining at 24... Slow decline, obviously, but the stats are pretty clear, a player is what he is at 23 and will, on average, slightly get worse as time goes by.

Drouin seems to be peaking this year, he's most likely what he is.

Reactions: Runner77

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He’s also 23 and playing wing for the first time in Montreal. The bad games are also becoming less and less common.

No they're not...that's what being inconsistent or streaky, by definition, is.
So far, he has a run of good games, then bad ones...Been like that since he entered the NHL.

No, DGS is right, the bad games are factually becoming less common by absolutely any metric you wanna used. If the eye test hasn't been sufficient (and I've seen you post enough to know it should be) then you can just look at the hard numbers. After a slow season start, he's really picking up now. 11 points in his last 9 games against 8 points in the first 13 games.

Want a bigger sample? In his first 22 games last season, Drouin appeared on scoresheet 10 times (45% of the time) and accumulated 13 points.

This season, Drouin has appeared on the scoresheet 13 times (59% of the time!) and accumulated 19 points.

He's improved each and every season, except the one where he was asked to bail the team in the middle. And now that he has been put exactly where he belongs, he's right back on track and is on his way to achieve the best season of his young career. (in fact, he was already starting to get back on track by the end of last season)

I think you're letting an overall extremely eventful and chaotic last season cloud your judgment on this one.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Only Peca and Shaw have worse possession numbers than Drouin on the team. Peca is the worst in the league. The other two are not far behind. I guess that's what some of the "haters" see when talking about Drouin. Stop thinking it's a French Canadian thing.

That's just a last ditched argument, it was the same for DD even when he was absolute garbage. It's okay to call Alzner or Benn garbage in 500 posts and no one ever brings up that they are "unfairly picked on" because they are from BC, it's actually funny.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
While people question whether Domi and Drouin can keep up their pace all season long, you guys fail to mention that once Weber comes back, it should actually make our PP that much more dangerous, and potentially generate more rebounds and more secondary assists for those on the PP.

It's fair to expect these guys can possibly both hit 70 points if they stay healthy (knocks on wood). When's the last time two 23 years old forwards both posted 70+ points seasons in Montreal?

People have every right to be optimistic about these two. If you want to point at disappointing players this year, Danault, Hudon, Lehkonen should be the first ones that come to your mind. Not Drouin.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
23 is the "always has been" a player is what he is, unless he's been considerably held back by their team.

Points_aging_1_medium.png

Scoring rate for forwards, starts declining at 24... Slow decline, obviously, but the stats are pretty clear, a player is what he is at 23 and will, on average, slightly get worse as time goes by.

Drouin seems to be peaking this year, he's most likely what he is.
Yet I can find tons of players who buck this trend...so i'm not sure how much value it has.

Take for example the player the Habs played last night, Taylor Hall

At 23yrs old, he didn't have a 30 goal season under his belt and had just finished a season with the Oilers where he had 65pts in 82 games...

Then at 24yrs old, he gets traded to the Devils and puts up a modest (relative to his talent) 53pt season.

Then BOOM, at 25yrs old, he blows up for 93pts and a Hart trophy.

P.S. - no i'm not suggesting Jonathan Drouin is going to win a Hart trophy

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yet I can find tons of players who buck this trend...so i'm not sure how much value it has.

At 23yrs old, he didn't have a 30 goal season under his belt and had just finished a season with the Oilers where he had 65pts in 82 games...

Then at 24yrs old, he gets traded to the Devils and puts up a modest (relative to his talent) 53pt season.

You left out that at age 22, Taylor Hall already posted a 80 pts in 75 game season in Edmonton. So him suddenly peaking at 25 again was return to dominance, not a first-time peak.
He also posted a 50 pts in 45 season at the age of 21.

So, while he didn't hit 30 goals, he more or less reach his entire offensive potential at age 21 in his third full season in the league. Taking three seasons to peak is the normal track. Drouin is on a delayed track and it might be an indefinite delay before he can even break 60 points.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You left out that at age 22, Taylor Hall already posted a 80 pts in 75 game season in Edmonton. So him suddenly peaking at 25 again was return to dominance, not a first-time peak.
He also posted a 50 pts in 45 season at the age of 21.

So, while he didn't hit 30 goals, he more or less reach his entire offensive potential at age 21 in his third full season in the league. Taking three seasons to peak is the normal track. Drouin is on a delayed track and it might be an indefinite delay before he can even break 60 points.
I think that just reinforces my point...a player's career trajectory isn't always an upwards trends, there are peaks & valleys and players mature or reach full potential at different ages.

Using a graphic that tells you that all players peak at 23 isn't really realistic...there are other examples I could have used as well.

At 23yrs old...Blake Wheeler was a good player on the Bruins, not outstanding, just good.

But he really came on the map at the age of 29yrs old (78pts in 82 games)...he had his first PPG season at the age of 31yrs old.

Jonathan Drouin has 263 games under his belt, the equivalent of just over 3yrs worth of NHL seasons.

To suggest there's no possibility of growth or expansion in his game at this age because of some graphic is silly to be honest.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Playing in front of a league worst D and on a pp that can’t score he’s on pace for more then 70. Scoring some beauties. Clearly improving his game. And Habs fans are down on him.

These boards always raved about how we need skill and talent, and that skill and talent trumps character and consistency. In front of us we have as much skill as we’ve had in 20 years and we want character now.

Personally I love watching him fly around out there. He makes a few bonehead plays a game and I wish he’d drive wide and shoot more but dude is dangerous on every shift. Couldn’t care less if he is a 90 or 80 point player he’s an obvious first line winger and can flat out play, Julien is letting him go and its a treat to watch. I suspect he will get even better but if not wth is wrong with an uber skilled local guy that can put up 65 and possibly stretch into the 70s? This is a problem somehow?

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
While people question whether Domi and Drouin can keep up their pace all season long, you guys fail to mention that once Weber comes back, it should actually make our PP that much more dangerous,
Our PP was worse with Weber on it last year. Small sample size indeed, just like this hot start for Jo Drouin and Max Domi.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Do you have insider information and knowledge about the character of Drouin to make such a statement ? Or are you just constantly spewing the same garbage without any evidence about a player you dislike ?

No offense but, the bold part is so obvious that they're no need for him to answer the question, i dont think there is one poster here who takes his comment regarding JD seriously

:laugh::laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Nice, and what about Halls 20 and 21 years old season where he put up PPG +?

I can also find a bunch of people whove died at 20 years old, doesnt make them the norm.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think that just reinforces my point...a player's career trajectory isn't always an upwards trends, there are peaks & valleys and players mature or reach full potential at different ages.

Using a graphic that tells you that all players peak at 23 isn't really realistic...there are other examples I could have used as well.

At 23yrs old...Blake Wheeler was a good player on the Bruins, not outstanding, just good.

But he really came on the map at the age of 29yrs old (78pts in 82 games)...he had his first PPG season at the age of 31yrs old.

Jonathan Drouin has 263 games under his belt, the equivalent of just over 3yrs worth of NHL seasons.

To suggest there's no possibility of growth or expansion in his game at this age because of some graphic is silly to be honest.
TFW when you dont understand basic stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad