Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Guy Laflamme edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
HFHabs is a form of social media.

HFHabs is self-contained, if he know about what is going on here, it's because he come here on his own free will. You can't get in direct interaction with Drouin from HFHabs and that's why your post don't make any sense. If he's getting harassed on twitter, then take it over there.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I actually saw Domi force a very low percentage play because Drouin went out of position for no reason.

The mistakes he makes are amateurish and you can't have that in the NHL.

Not surprised you think the mistakes he makes are amateurish cause you think you are a smarter hockey player vs Drouin which is a joke.

He's not a complete 200' player. He is a offensive top 6 talent and still maturing at age 23. It is what it is. No need to exaggerate it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
HFHabs is self-contained, if he know about what is going on here, it's because he come here on his own free will. You can't get in direct interaction with Drouin from HFHabs and that's why your post don't make any sense. If he's getting harassed on twitter, then take it over there.

I think you are missing the point. The point is we should support our young players, not throw them under the bus. Criticism comes from all sorts of angles and it's a culture that eventually gets back to the player one way or another. HF Habs boards is just one source of many.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's making 5.5M$ per year for god sake!

You expect out of him some Kucherov or Tavares **** by reading your posts! Maybe you should reevaluate your expectations or something?

Your incessant whining is just ridiculous!

Keep putting pressure on him though, he will definitely perform better...

My God I hope you are right! The team needs it!

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Dude, my point went over your head. I'm comparing PK to Drouin in terms of popularity with the management and team mates. Not player value. Give your head a shake. I could be mistaken but I think you did this before to me as well.

Make an attempt at understanding the point please.

Yes i got that. I still dont understand how you can make the comparison.

PK was loved by his teamates and management wanted him out

Drouin is not very popular with his teamates and management is getting fed up of his lazy play.

But any ways that doesnt matter because the point is, its better to trade Drouin now than later.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are comparing Drouin to Gaudreau? JG has produced at a consistently high rate since coming into the league(nearly at a ppg) and you are comparing him to Drouin? Forgive me if I misread this.

Yes, I am comparing one offensive talent to another on different teams with different talent. I think Gaudreau is the better offensive talent but if he played in replace of Drouin with the Habs, the results is the same. Our fan base will throw them under the bus.

If you ask me if I rather have Kovalev or not back when, my answer is I rather have him in our line-up than not have him. Same goes towards Drouin and he is only 23 man. Don't treat him like a vet already.

Domi is also making bone head moves while he is trying to be creative. Why does he get a pass? Cause he is gritter and scored from a nice play by Tatar in the last game?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes i got that. I still dont understand how you can make the comparison.

PK was loved by his teamates and management wanted him out

Drouin is not very popular with his teamates and management is getting fed up of his lazy play.

But any ways that doesnt matter because the point is, its better to trade Drouin now than later.

Sounds like PK narrative before he got traded. I repeat, be careful with what you wish for.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If there is any credence behind that, it shows that Julien has learned a lot about how not to lose a room.
Indeed it would. Drouin responding by laying another egg the following night, despite a team-high 19:20, only gives Julien more justification. Not that Drouin hadn't given him enough.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you ask me, I want Drouin to be creative as much as possible. He will figure things out as he matures and he's 23, not 26 people. The real value we get from Drouin will be from 25-30 range. So many players fall in this category.

Drouin has matured a lot since he became a Habs. He will continue to mature. Lets leave it at that. Point out the flaws and coach him to be better (it's called constructive criticism) but lets stop calling him a dumb hockey player at age 23 please.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I think you are missing the point. The point is we should support our young players, not throw them under the bus. Criticism comes from all sorts of angles and it's a culture that eventually gets back to the player one way or another. HF Habs boards is just one source of many.

The point is you don't get to decide what we should do, you only get to decide what you should do. You want to support Drouin then you are free to do so for whatever the reason you see fit, but keep in mind that if other want to criticize Drouin they're also free to do so.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Hurry! Quick! Someone pat lil Johnny on the head before he develops a complex from the big bad people on hfboards
It's not only the HF Boards though, he gets criticized all over the place!

While he's having his best season in his career FFS!

I would definitely avoid such a f***ing toxic place to play if I would be a player...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Drouin dumb as rocks. This crowd isn't rough, it's just dumb as rocks (since we can throw around comments like that freely without justification).

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
The point is you don't get to decide what we should do, you only get to decide what you should do. You want to support Drouin then you are free to do so for whatever the reason you see fit, but keep in mind that if other want to criticize Drouin they're also free to do so.

Are you allright with the fact that some players will stay away from Montreal because of the pressure from fans and medias? Those fans should keep whining tho, they are free to do so.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think Drouin has come a long way vs how he looked last season. Lets give the kid a break. His -3 (+/-) is a concern and is the reason why we have him playing with Danault. I rather have Drouin be creative vs getting complacent and not trying to be creative and setting up his line-mates for goals.

He has flaws, no doubt about it. However, he is off to his best season ever this year. Lets look at the positives. The only guy who can quaterback our PP is Drouin at the moment. Nothing to brag about but imagine watching Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, quarterback our PP? I wonder how the pressure gets to them if they wear Drouin's shoes?

The 2nd PP unit has really hurt this team. The 1st unit has been better but incredibly inconsistent. I’m not denying he’s a good PP player. Like I said in a previous post, if he has space, he’s good at utalizing it and making nice plays. I get frustrated with the dangerous passes that turn into odd man rushes, the lack of back checking, and his lack of consistency. I thought moving him to the wing would help cover up some of his defeciency’s in those areas but he’s been just as much of a liability as when he was playing center. And that’s essentially what he has been since coming here. A complete liability to the team when he isn’t producing. He’s young, so I want to believe these things are fixable but a lot of the time it’s not if it’s between the ears and his short NHL career so far is indicating that is likely the case.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let’s all blame the team’s 2nd leading scorer for their recent slump and completely forget that he singlehandedly won them games the week before.

Is he inconsistent? Yeah. But he’s 23, makes $5.5m per year and produces in the grand scheme. He’s not to blame for losing to the best team in the league and the backup shitting the bed in the 1st period against the Panthers.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, I am comparing one offensive talent to another on different teams with different talent. I think Gaudreau is the better offensive talent but if he played in replace of Drouin with the Habs, the results is the same. Our fan base will throw them under the bus.

These 2 players aren't even close, so no, the results would not be the same.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm OK with criticism towards vets on big contracts. They got their agent to get them paid and now they need to live up to the expectations. I was even OK with the criticism Patch got last year as our captain. He wasn't paid a lot but he was a vet and he needed to produce.

Drouin is 23. I think we are being premature on throwing him under the bus.

And the highest paid forward....but he's not vet that i admit. Were you saying the same for Galchenyuk?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let’s all blame the team’s 2nd leading scorer for their recent slump and completely forget that he singlehandedly won them games the week before.

Is he inconsistent? Yeah. But he’s 23, makes $5.5m per year and produces in the grand scheme. He’s not to blame for losing to the best team in the league and the backup ****ting the bed in the 1st period against the Panthers.

His own coach called him out, with the endorsement of the room.

Franco media is generally soft on local players, but not on him. Even AC has been on his back repeatedly.

If by "Let's" you mean everyone, including Claude Julien and the room, then yeah, everyone wants him to do better but they're growing frustrated as he keeps making the same mistakes. He's a soon-to-be 24 year old with over 300 NHL games and he hasn't shown up for a lot of them. Normand Flynn has closely monitored him from his days in the minors and says that this is how he's always been.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If Gaudreau played for the Habs in replace of Drouin, the result is the same. Think about that

1a9.gif

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Jaffy, he is our highest paid forward and can be much better. I don't think it is one bit harsh to expect him to show up and play like he gives a damn for more than 25 % of the games. What is his problem if it is not decision making? He seems to physically fit, he can skate well, he can pass, he can shoot, what else can it be? To call him dumb might be harsh but what else is it that is holding him back from being what he should be if it is not a mental issue?
I’m on board with everything you’re saying, but to call someone dumb as a bag of hammers I’m not ok with.

His ability to process the game at a high level is questionable, doesn’t mean the guy is dumb.

Nobody can process the game here even at the OHL level, doe it mean we’re dumb??

The problem with Drouin is his decision making, maybe that comes with a bit more experience....I dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad