Jonathan Bernier - To the AHL on a Conditioning Stint

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
They can both go. Toronto needs to move on from these goalies. Been long enough now. It would be good for the team and good for the both of them too - Leafs get a fresh start with new tenders and the two of them get a fresh start elsewhere. It's long overdue.

This. Right here.

I think there should be a clear understanding as to whether or not we have our starter going forward by the TDL. And if not... Sell em, see what you can get.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
This. Right here.

I think there should be a clear understanding as to whether or not we have our starter going forward by the TDL. And if not... Sell em, see what you can get.

If he's not good this year, he won't be able to get anything at the TDL. I'd rather hope he can somehow bounceback next year as our defense improves than get rid of him for a really bad return.

We still need someone in net next year, might as well be Bernier.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If he's not good this year, he won't be able to get anything at the TDL. I'd rather hope he can somehow bounceback next year as our defense improves than get rid of him for a really bad return.

We still need someone in net next year, might as well be Bernier.

Yup. Even the small chance that Bernier turns things around again is more valuable than the return a guy like him would get at the TDL.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Yup. Even the small chance that Bernier turns things around again is more valuable than the return a guy like him would get at the TDL.

Should have traded him before giving him a new contract and instead sign/trade for someone with more potential.
If they want to see what he's capable of they should not overuse him.

mikebel111*

No contest. Easily better than Reimer. Bernier allows softies but still has stretches of great play.

Easily Bernier is better

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No contest. Easily better than Reimer. Bernier allows softies but still has stretches of great play.

Easily Bernier is better

Bernier might be better but it seems he couldn't handle the workload in his 2nd game. Before the season they said Bernier will play 62 games and now Bernier has 5 games and Reimer 4. Something went wrong. I'm sure before the season I said 62 games is a stupid plan. I'm really disappointed with Babcock because Reimer could be so much better.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bernier might be better but it seems he couldn't handle the workload in his 2nd game. Before the season they said Bernier will play 62 games and now Bernier has 5 games and Reimer 4. Something went wrong. I'm sure before the season I said 62 games is a stupid plan. I'm really disappointed with Babcock because Reimer could be so much better.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Bernier played 20 minutes in his 2nd game. If there was no problem he should play the next day. Instead Bernier got 8 days rest.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Bernier and Reimer especially seem like they do better with a heavier consistent shot load. I remember Vokoun was similar where he looked great on bad defensive teams and closer to just ok behind good defenses. Seems like its a mental thing where they need to stay on their toes all game or they start letting in softies.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014

Your joking right?

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Bernier played great against Pit & Buf, Ok He had a bad game against the Habs but you couldn't blame him entirely for that loss yet he's sat next game and Reimers given the chance to reclaim #1. Reimer ***** the bed and then Berniers supposed to go back in and prove he's #1 again. This going back and forth is just insane. Give the better goalie a commitment and let him play through his struggles.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock jealous NYR has Lundqvist? "Bernier can do the same thing for us. There's no question in my opinion. He's just got to find his game"
Babcock on Bernier: "If you look at all the goalies in the NHL, lots of goaltenders struggle early in the year. That's nothing new."

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Gary Nylund said:
Agree 100%. It's amusing that so many are writing off Bernier at this stage. I remember late last season, most were saying similar things about Gardiner, basically that he's a head case and who cares what we get back for him, just trade him now etc. Now Gardiner's rep is for the most part rehabilited (due in no small part IMO to the tireless work Nithoniniel has done exhibiting statistical evidence showing Gardnier to be not bad at all). Does anyone still want to trade Gardiner for a bag of pucks?

It wouldn't surprise me the least bit to see Bernier regain his form which is yes, a legitimate top 10 goalie. I'm not saying it will happen and I don't know what the odds are that it happens. I do think however that it is absolutely possible that it does happen, it could happen very soon and trading him at this point (for what would likely be a relatively insignificant return) would be incredibly stupid.

Everybody just stay calm, there's no need to panic here. If by the end of the season Bernier hasn't turned it around then I'd agree it makes sense to start planning for a future without him. Right now though is just too early. Much too early.

A rebuild cannot be done without having patience. Period.

Carried over from the starting goaltender thread.

The bolded is a very good point you're making.

Bernier hasn't proven he's a bona fide #1 starter. But he also hasn't proven he's not. He's shown real quality, and he's also shown some causes for concern. I think his SV% was slightly inflated from playing under Carlyle. He was hurt by the team collapsing around him last season, but he wasn't playing well either.

Anyone who's commenting with certainty on if Bernier is a starter has been sucked into the polarization of arguing on the internet. Give it a season, and then we'll see.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Carried over from the starting goaltender thread.

The bolded is a very good point you're making.

Bernier hasn't proven he's a bona fide #1 starter. But he also hasn't proven he's not. He's shown real quality, and he's also shown some causes for concern. I think his SV% was slightly inflated from playing under Carlyle. He was hurt by the team collapsing around him last season, but he wasn't playing well either.

Anyone who's commenting with certainty on if Bernier is a starter has been sucked into the polarization of arguing on the internet. Give it a season, and then we'll see.

It shouldn't be. That would indicate that he faced tougher shots than average, when the truth is probably the other way around. There's no way to judge just how good every shot against is, but you can see what areas are dangerous. Toronto had the worst differential in the league under Carlyle in this category. Not only did we face a ton of shots against, they were also more frequently from dangerous areas of the ice than what even the Oilers goalies have faced.

I think what might be the issue is that Bernier has really seemed to thrive under a heavy workload in the games. It's just a feeling I've had, but it seems that most of his best games are when we face a lot of shots against. Some goalies just are like that.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Bernier played great against Pit & Buf, Ok He had a bad game against the Habs but you couldn't blame him entirely for that loss yet he's sat next game and Reimers given the chance to reclaim #1. Reimer ***** the bed and then Berniers supposed to go back in and prove he's #1 again. This going back and forth is just insane. Give the better goalie a commitment and let him play through his struggles.

Agreed. I don't know what Babchuk is playing at.

As I said above, ride Bernier for 5-10 straight. See how he fares. If he gets on a roll, stick with the hot hand. Even if he has a couple stinkers, stick with him for 5+ games.

If he's good, roll with him, if he stinks it up, then start Reimer 5+ straight and see if he can grab the job. If not, repeat cycle again, giving one guy the extended run so he can hopefully catch fire.

Goalies need to get into a rhythm. I think we've seen that alternating starts with like a week off between games for each goalie is not conducive to good performances.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Babcock jealous NYR has Lundqvist? "Bernier can do the same thing for us. There's no question in my opinion. He's just got to find his game"
Babcock on Bernier: "If you look at all the goalies in the NHL, lots of goaltenders struggle early in the year. That's nothing new."

He's just playing the media game. Taking the pressure off Bernier.

If you look at his actions, despite what he said above, he started Reimer against Phoenix when he easily could have, and probably should have, started Bernier.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's just playing the media game. Taking the pressure off Bernier.

If you look at his actions, despite what he said above, he started Reimer against Phoenix when he easily could have, and probably should have, started Bernier.
Meh maybe but he could also have said "our goalies" as opposed to singling out JB.
As for the Reimer start, if he didn't start Reimer that would have been 2 weeks between games for him coming into this b2b, and Bernier was not playing great. Maybe he wanted him to be ready for the b2b game? Hard to tell what was going on in Babs' mind, but I do believe him when he states that Bernier is the starter and believes in him. Remember the winter classic Bernier stole the games vs the wings? Maybe babs is remembering that performance and sees the potential in Bernier?
I don't know but I'm just posting his quotes and thus far he doesn't seem the type of person to play the media game to shelter his players. The Arizona game he called a spade a spade. I think the general consensus agrees that the games we have competed well he has said such and the opposite. He has called out Holland most recently and Arcobello (obviously). He doesn't seem to be sugar coating anything.

Just my opinion

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
October leafs had 12 games, 8 b2b. Reims may or may not play the Pens tonight, but either way he should have 4 games this month minimum due to scheduling.

mikebel111*

Bernier starting both games. Looks like he is the one being leaned on
Babcock is going with the bettrt goalie which is the right move

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Bernier needs to be given every chance to play really well.
He can't and won't be offered good money if he can't play to the elite level.

If he plays alot of games, and his Save%, performance, etc is below average .... he can't expect big money.

Reimer isn't a part of the Leafs plans. He's just there in case Bernier gets tired or injured.

Mad Brills*

Bernier needs to be given every chance to play really well.
He can't and won't be offered good money if he can't play to the elite level.

If he plays alot of games, and his Save%, performance, etc is below average .... he can't expect big money.

Reimer isn't a part of the Leafs plans. He's just there in case Bernier gets tired or injured.

Yeah, if bernier isn't the guy the leafs need to get a starter this offseaosn

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, if bernier isn't the guy the leafs need to get a starter this offseaosn

More importantly they can't sign him to Cap Space and Term if he isn't the goalie to take them deep into the playoffs in 4 years.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Bernier likely own't have a good game tonight. Goalie performance drops significantly, even for elite goalies, when playing both halves of a back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad