Injury Report: Jonathan Bernier- Had successful surgery

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Out 3 weeks looks like.

So unless Reimer does what I hope would happen, have the best 4 games in his career to finish the season and clinch a playoff spot. It's over.

Still, as soon as Reimer came on, I felt like, maybe this is going to be a cinderella ending with him coming back and getting the support he had last year.

I hope he runs the table and single handedly wins them a first round series. He has had his struggles this year, due in large part I think to extended periods of idleness, but he deserves better than how he has been treated.

If he is back with the Leafs next year (I think the only way that happens is if Carlyle is gone but, even then, it probably isn't likely that he comes back) then this could boost his confidence going into next season. If he isn't back (a far more likely scenario), then a good run now increases his trade value.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
points behind 7th and 8th, no one seems to lose and we lose Bernier?

Attachments

• aaaaaannnndddd-its-gone.jpg
    aaaaaannnndddd-its-gone.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 5

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Could have been worse so I'll take the sprain...he'll plenty of time to recover because his season is done as is likely the Leafs season. Running the table is a tall order but being in the position of having to hope teams around you are losing enough games makes it an enormous mountain. I don't think any non-clinched team is going to collapse the way the Leafs did and that's what it'll take at this point.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Reimer started the spiral down into oblivion. I could see him just as easily now backstopping this team to the post-season and winning everyone over again.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
No need to worry about Reimer when you have Drew MacIntyre, once Carlyle realizes DrewMac should be the starter over Reimer you will be in good hands. Trade Reimer in the offseason, have a Bernie/DrewMac Tadem, call up Percy and drag Komarov back from the KHL and next year is lookin' good for you even if you miss the playoffs this season!

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I'm just curious...at what point does Bernier's injuries start becoming a concern when it comes to his reliability?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Good call. Just to be sure he's healed up completely I'd go as far as resting him until the start of round three.
He needs to be fresh for the Finals, though.

Don't worry, Optimus Reim will transform and then Berns will be ready for the Finals against St. Louis.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm just curious...at what point does Bernier's injuries start becoming a concern when it comes to his reliability?

The first injury was a groin tweak which may or may not be a concern. But this most recent one has nothing to do with his reliability, IMO. I attribute it to Ranger screwing up, which isn't something that Bernier can be blamed for. Plus, it could happen to any goalie.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
The first injury was a groin tweak which may or may not be a concern. But this most recent one has nothing to do with his reliability, IMO. I attribute it to Ranger screwing up, which isn't something that Bernier can be blamed for. Plus, it could happen to any goalie.

Oh im not blaming these injuries on Bernier, and I'm aware it can happen to anyone. Obviously no goalie is gonna stay injury free but this is a knee injury and a groin injury which are pretty big to a goalie. What I'm hoping is that it's not something that's gonna ail him next year or be something that he can re-injure again.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Oh im not blaming these injuries on Bernier, and I'm aware it can happen to anyone. Obviously no goalie is gonna stay injury free but this is a knee injury and a groin injury which are pretty big to a goalie. What I'm hoping is that it's not something that's gonna ail him next year or be something that he can re-injure again.

From what I remember, Malkin tore his ACL and MCL a few years ago and then came back and won the Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsay the next season. So with the new treatments that are available to deal with these kinds of injuries, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue. I could be wrong, as I'm far from an expert in these matters, but I'm not overly concerned.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Goalies get hurt. In particular lower body injuries. At this point neithr of his injury look all too serious, so we can just hope for the best for next season.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
As long as Carlyle continues ripping on Reimer and destroying morale.

Two years ago it was Wilson's fault, last year it was Mac's and Grabo's fault, this year its Reimers fault, next year it will be the Pope's fault..... good thing we got rid of the right people so the SAME collapse dosen't happen YEAR after YEAR....

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Lower body injuries are common in goalies and a silver lining to both if his injuries is that they were as minor as you can get in terms or a pulled groin or injured knee. Something to look out for but considering that Bernier has been pretty aggressive in his crease (has been a part of a number of collisions that haven't injured him) I'd say it's probably too soon to worry about him not being durable enough.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The blame of Bernier's injuries is solely on the team's play. Jonathan Bernier has to work much harder than most top goalies in the league because he's facing an upwards of 35 shots each game no matter who he's up against.

That takes it toll in a long season.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Still can't understand why defenders keep doing that to their own goalies by pushing the forward on top of their goalies. Chances are your goalie will blow a knee and be out for the full season.
So stupid.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The blame of Bernier's injuries is solely on the team's play. Jonathan Bernier has to work much harder than most top goalies in the league because he's facing an upwards of 35 shots each game no matter who he's up against.

That takes it toll in a long season.

You can make a case with the groin injury but this knee injury has nothing to do with the shots he faces. Every team looks to create traffic in front of the net and that's a hazard that every goalie has to deal with. He's not the first goalie to get hurt by a player toppling on top of him and he won't be the last.

White Pine

May 26, 2011
upper ottawa valley
Good call. Just to be sure he's healed up completely I'd go as far as resting him until the start of round three.

I don't know... I'm not saying Reimer is better, but if the Leafs won all the rest of regular season, and made it to round three, I would hesitate to mess with a team that is clearly in a groove. New players can sometimes be a gamble, even if they're better, And IMO round 3 isn't a time for gambling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad