Prospect Info: Jonah Gadjovich | WJC postmortem: Gold medal

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Im so tired of reading posters say that skating is fixable because Horvat did it.

Horvat is the exception not the rule. For every Horvat there is literally 100 Lucic who couldnt fix their stride

Skating is body mechanics and its very very hard to fix/change... if it was easy then everyone would just hire an olympic power skating coach.

As for Gadjo, i think he acceleration is fine. His striding and edging is below NHL level. His skating while he has.the.puck is meh as well.

Hooefully he can make improvements. A lot of his success right now is coming from him being more physicallt mature than everyone.

I see his ceiling as an Andrew Ladd type of player. He is definitley a gamer and would be a big asset to have during playoff runs.
Agree with post except use of Lucic. He is the worst example as his skating greatly improved. Though what you said was correct. Skating is hard to improve though for some it is possible.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
... just like 2014 and 2013 and 2009 which were all the 'best draft ever!' for 1-2 years afterward until players hit pro and the shine came off most of them.

It's looking like a good draft because of Pettersson. Of the rest, if one actually makes it that would be great.

True, but it is looking much brighter at this point then it has in years. You can at least agree on that I hope.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
... just like 2014 and 2013 and 2009 which were all the 'best draft ever!' for 1-2 years afterward until players hit pro and the shine came off most of them.

It's looking like a good draft because of Pettersson. Of the rest, if one actually makes it that would be great.

That's just the nature of a player's value post draft. It's not easy making the NHL and staying in the NHL. Benning's drafts, I think, have/are proving to be better than previous regime's. 2014 is a better draft than 2013 and 2009 in hindsight. The 2015 draft has already produced Boeser and there's Gaudette.

Picking at the top of the draft and early in the second really helps.

Usually ya. But Brock Boeser wasn't drafted at the top of the draft and he's a stud.

And since this is Gadjovich's thread, he is late 2nd round pick who could have easily gone in the 3rd.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thing is, during the prospects camp they had their edge/footwork exposed (I mean everyone, Pettersson was not so great in the drills as well).

Gadj, every stoppage or dead time was at center ice working on the drills. Seriously just constantly harassing the skating coach.

Maybe he doesn't improve his skating but he's got the drive to make his best attempt at it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Boeser was a great pick, no question about it but without all these high picks we wouldn’t be seen as having a good future. We’d have an average to below average collection of prospects and young players.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
What's with the ya buts? They don't change the original statement and sound like an excuse to not be happy with what we may have.

Who cares if we didn't have the high draft picks we wouldn't have these, the fact is we did. Now, if they don't turn out then I'm sure it will be a huge deal.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
What's with the ya buts? They don't change the original statement and sound like an excuse to not be happy with what we may have.

Who cares if we didn't have the high draft picks we wouldn't have these, the fact is we did. Now, if they don't turn out then I'm sure it will be a huge deal.
I’m happy with what we have, but Benning deserves little credit for it.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
What assessment did I change? His skating is so cumbersome I feel bad watching him try and keep up out there.
Didn't watch today's game, but thought he looked good against the Americans and was shocked he wasn't playing more.

I think I posted that he was probably Canada's best player in the Slovakia game before he even scored his second goal.

I think he looks good, and honestly should probably be playing more based on my viewings.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Didn't watch today's game, but thought he looked good against the Americans and was shocked he wasn't playing more.

I think I posted that he was probably Canada's best player in the Slovakia game before he even scored his second goal.

I think he looks good, and honestly should probably be playing more based on my viewings.

I agree that it seems like he's not getting much ice time. I want to see him let that shot go.

Reactions: dim jim

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Boeser was a great pick, no question about it but without all these high picks we wouldn’t be seen as having a good future. We’d have an average to below average collection of prospects and young players.

That’s the nature of sucking for a few years and piling up high draft choices. What you’re saying is basically the same as saying Chicago and Pittsburgh would never have won the Cup if they didn’t get to draft Toews, Kane, Malkin, Crosby and Fleury with top-3 picks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching Gadjovich in this year's WJC is a reminder of how easy it is to overrate performances in this tournament.....he basically sat, while some of the flashier, smaller but more skilled forwards garnered most of the ice-time. You can see his skating still needs work, but have a feeling he'll improve significantly once he gets into pro hockey Meantime some of those smaller, skilled guys could top out as AHL players or play in Europe, if history is any guide.

Reactions: BrockBesnar

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Watching Gadjovich in this year's WJC is a reminder of how easy it is to overrate performances in this tournament.....he basically sat, while some of the flashier, smaller but more skilled forwards garnered most of the ice-time. You can see his skating still needs work, but have a feeling he'll improve significantly once he gets into pro hockey Meantime some of those smaller, skilled guys could top out as AHL players or play in Europe, if history is any guide.

Yes the Canuck prospect is certain to improve while those other guys will no doubt stagnate.

Reactions: Josepho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes the Canuck prospect is certain to improve while those other guys will no doubt stagnate.
Yep...Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Pouliot, Baertschi, Demko and Sutter all played in the WJC and were considered 'mild to major' disappointments.....the AHL is actually where those flashy junior moves you regularly see at the WJC go to die in the pros.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I'm surprisd he played that much. I didn't see him out there.

Still, it's a plus that he even made that team.

My understanding is that he didn't play after the first.

And yeah, made the team and got a pog. Duh we'd all be extra yhrilled if he played a big role in the gmg but this tourney went well for him imo.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad