Prospect Info: Jonah Gadjovich | WJC postmortem: Gold medal

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Before Lind? Is this our first 2017 draft signee?

If both are signed....does it really matter who was signed first? Also, in the Hockey Prospects Radio interview I believe Benning said Gadjovich was going to sign + Lind would be signed in the off season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If both are signed....does it really matter who was signed first? Also, in the Hockey Prospects Radio interview I believe Benning said Gadjovich was going to sign + Lind would be signed in the off season.

You're right... Although I'm a bit confused as to why we signed Gadjovich now...

Does his contract slide?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I believe by signing him this year his contract will be eligible to slide next season as well, even though he'll be playing in the AHL.

If they waited until next year to sign him to a contract then his 2018-19 season wouldn't slide.

Kole Lind should be signed his year as well. Pettersson too if they want him in the AHL next season.

From Article 9.1 (d)

(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the
exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

Gadjovich is still considered 18 this year, and thus eligible to have his contract slide for two years. But because he turns 20 next year his contract wouldn't slide if he was signed in 2018.

This is why Shinkaruk's contract slide his first season in the AHL, but Dahlen's contact will not this season. Shinkaruk signed his ELC in his draft year, so he was considered 18 and his contract was slide eligible to two years. Dahlen wasn't signed until the year after his draft, and turned 20 that year, so his contract isn't slide eligible.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Too much, too long, he's just taking a roster spot away from one of our unsigned rookies. When will Benning get it?

Sarcasm aside, I like him, and I'm hoping for big things from him, Lind and Pettersson in the coming seasons.

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Terrible signing. Has done absolutey nothing and received a ELC. The next Mckenzie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just have a good feeling about this pick....obviously needs to pick up a step, but down low he's already got a nose for the net and is deft at tipping the puck and tracking down rebounds.....eligible for the AHL next year and a virtual automatic for the Comets.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Only thing surprising about this is he got signed before Lind. Both should be signed by the start of next season and start next season in the AHL (while Pettersson might stay oversea longer depending on how the team feels about his development).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad