Prospect Info: Jonah Gadjovich | WJC postmortem: Gold medal

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
guy has a motor and stays strong right through his shifts.
Oh man his skating :oops:

Nice to see him on the PK though.

It's horrid. It looks like an average beer league player. He frequently stops moving altogether on the PK....other times does the train tracks all over the ice. No chance he makes the NHL the way it is. He needs a lot of coaching in that area. If he fixes that though....oh man....the rest of what he offers is absolutely NHL quality.....and much of it in short supply.

His skating as is will stop him from making the NHL. It's that bad.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's horrid. It looks like an average beer league player. He frequently stops moving altogether on the PK....other times does the train tracks all over the ice. No chance he makes the NHL the way it is. He needs a lot of coaching in that area. If he fixes that though....oh man....the rest of what he offers is absolutely NHL quality.....and much of it in short supply.

His skating as is will stop him from making the NHL. It's that bad.

my motor comment referred to his energy level and the fact he is still competing hard late in shifts.

his skating is choppy but i don't think that bad.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
my motor comment referred to his energy level and the fact he is still competing hard late in shifts.

his skating is choppy but i don't think that bad.

It's really bad. I'd say he looks a touch faster than last year and he's very strong on his skates, but that may have a lot to do with his wide stance. I'm even strong on my skates when I skate like that and I suck. He has a massive amount of work to do. It's 100 percent technique. He has plenty of power in his legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's really nad. I'd say he looks a touch faster than last year and he's very strong on his skates, but that may have a lot to do with his wide stance. I'm even strong on my skates when I skate like that and I suck. He has a massive amount of work to do. It's 100 percent technique. He has plenty of power in his legs.

i agree his skating is poor and needs a lot of work.

with big guys i am cautious in judging skating too harshly and i think drive and endurance is important. i watched lucic play for the giants and predicted he'd have to be a fighter to see the nhl because of his skating. i didn't consider the fact the guy was involved every shift.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
What is usually more important than flat out speed is a quick, explosive first 2 or 3 steps. That first 2 steps gains you body position so a defender (or attacker) has to skate a lot farther to beat you. This is usually the problem for bigger players. Further - as Krutovsdonut said, endurance. Fitness is important and few junior player come to their first training camp in NHL condition. But Gadjovich - despite the "man child" label, is not a physical monster. He's listed as 6'2" and 200lb. With some coaching on technique there is no reason he couldn't improve his first steps and fitness.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Is there much nastiness to his game? He seems like a gentle giant ala Steve Bernie & Taylor Pyatt

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The great thing about skating is that... it's fixable with coaches.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The great thing about skating is that... it's fixable with coaches.

I think this has gotten overblown somewhat.

There are guys for whom skating was a weak point and were able to improve like Horvat.

But then there are guys whose skating was just never good enough and no amount ot coaching could fix it, like Cole Cassels. I think your skating needs to be at a certain minimum level for coaching to be able to help you.

Reactions: sting101

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Is there much nastiness to his game? He seems like a gentle giant ala Steve Bernie & Taylor Pyatt

iPLLhEw.jpg

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Luckily Gad has kind of built his game around his poor skating. He's a net front presence who uses size to screen, and his hand-eye to deflect pucks/get to rebounds. He plays such an easily translatable game. The part of his skating he needs to work on is his push off strength. He needs to be able to use his feet to make his position in front of the net, and you can't just plant like he does in the CHL (because he's the biggest guy, he can get away with leaning on his stick and planting his feet). He needs to be able to quickly gain position ona defending player, but his footwork is definitely sub-par

That being said, his game is very easily translatable, that's what I love about him. He's the type of guy that really no matter where he falls in his potential, as long as he's NHL calibre, he can play up and down the lineup. He's a good PP presence (I wouldn't trust him on the PK because of his skating), and his vision on seeing rebounds is fantastic.

If he hits his potential, I think he could be a great compliment to Pettersson and Boeser on line 1. He wouldn't be a first line talent on his own, but he's one of those complimentary guys who makes a line better. Sits his ass in front of the net, bangs in Boeser rebounds, or just screens the goalie. I think it would be a good trio. He's trending well right now

Reactions: Nomobo

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I dunno, I liked his game. Sure, his skating sucks but that can be worked on. I liked the fact he was always involved in the play, parked in front of the net...I guess I just noticed him a lot out there. Okay, one of the goals was a deflection off his ankle as he tried to block a shot, but I noticed him for a lot of good reasons as well. Won a lot of board battles, good physically, went eyeball-to-eyeball with a Finnish dman during a stoppage in play...don't have much of that these days around here.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
What is usually more important than flat out speed is a quick, explosive first 2 or 3 steps. That first 2 steps gains you body position so a defender (or attacker) has to skate a lot farther to beat you. This is usually the problem for bigger players. Further - as Krutovsdonut said, endurance. Fitness is important and few junior player come to their first training camp in NHL condition. But Gadjovich - despite the "man child" label, is not a physical monster. He's listed as 6'2" and 200lb. With some coaching on technique there is no reason he couldn't improve his first steps and fitness.

I'm going to disagree. The guy could walk into camp tomorrow and very easily be the strongest player on the Canucks. At 19 years old, the guy is a beast and could likely very easily put on more weight and strength. He's 210lbs now and already pretty cut. 210 cut is basically a physical monster.

DR7LlFaUQAA1k8B.jpg

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Last years draft is looking like one of our best in at last a decade.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Definitely out best draft since 2004. Honorable mention to 2015 (Boeser and Gaudette).

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Definitely out best draft since 2004. Honorable mention to 2015 (Boeser and Gaudette).

It's still way too early to tell. Lind, Gadjovich and Dipietro could all very easily bust leaving basically Pettersson as the only NHL player from that draft (and even he could bust). I do agree that this draft has the potential to be a good draft, however, although this is more a result of finishing very poorly in the standings and getting lucky to receive an additional second round pick for Torts than any "great" drafting IMO.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

... just like 2014 and 2013 and 2009 which were all the 'best draft ever!' for 1-2 years afterward until players hit pro and the shine came off most of them.

It's looking like a good draft because of Pettersson. Of the rest, if one actually makes it that would be great.

Reactions: Pavel96

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Was really surprised by Gadjovich's skating... i was expecting it to be much much worse.

His problems in the department must be his first few steps. .. cuz i saw a couple of shifts where he was skating down the wing and looked ok... workable technique and stride.
This observation alone has upticked my initially low expectation for him to crack our NHL roster one day.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Im so tired of reading posters say that skating is fixable because Horvat did it.

Horvat is the exception not the rule. For every Horvat there is literally 100 Lucic who couldnt fix their stride

Skating is body mechanics and its very very hard to fix/change... if it was easy then everyone would just hire an olympic power skating coach.

As for Gadjo, i think he acceleration is fine. His striding and edging is below NHL level. His skating while he has.the.puck is meh as well.

Hooefully he can make improvements. A lot of his success right now is coming from him being more physicallt mature than everyone.

I see his ceiling as an Andrew Ladd type of player. He is definitley a gamer and would be a big asset to have during playoff runs.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad