JOKERIT 2020-2021 (GOING ALL IN?)

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Still, Jokerit has been leading all Finnish teams in attendance for how long?

This is not a big accomplishment. Helsinki is by far the largest city in Finland, almost four times larger than the next closest city, and Hartwall Arena is by far the largest arena in Finland. And like others have said, they have been giving away free tickets for who knows how long. If Jokerit haven't been leading all Finnish teams in attendance, Jokerit would really have been doing something wrong.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Below is an example of how a biased approach work

yesterday, negative news about Jokerit = 2 retweets plus "like" of another tweet.

today, positive news (home matches at Hartwall) about Jokerit (published 2h ago) = zero retweets and zero "like"

DuckJazz

Jan 11, 2014

yesterday, negative news about Jokerit = 2 retweets plus "like" of another tweet.

today, positive news (home matches at Hartwall) about Jokerit (published 2h ago) = zero retweets and zero "like"

This is a really comprehensive study you've done here, thank you very much for your hard work.

I for one as a local Jokerit fan wish they'd come back to Liiga one way or another. The KHL organization and the KHL-Jokerit team is hollow and souless.

Reactions: Jussi and Exarz

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They've been hollow and soulless all 2000s, but significantly less so in the KHL than they were in Liiga despite all these current issues. Any obvious path to the lost glory of the 1990s there isn't.

Reactions: CPFC

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

Seems to be very a very empirical and quantitative study. You compare apples and oranges in this example, the whole Minsk scenario has been a huge in Finland and clearly drew a lot of international media attention as the team got tied up in a diplomatic mess in the middle of a political unrest that all of Europe is watching.

The second example is local that really doesn't matter if you live outside Helsinki. But sure, those positive news have received positive responses if you look through Finnish Twitter and forums.

Reactions: Jussi and mkev400

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think, Jokerit has good chances to win the league this season. At least, Russian press call it favorite in the Western conference, because the team has remained pretty much the same, and all other teams have become way weaker. And if it happens, most fans will forget all this political shit...

If you ask Jokerit fans, they will tell you quite differently. Team basically has only two natural centers, Tolvanen and Lehtonen will be gone by November etc.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I think it is possible that the oligarchs who pay Jokerit bills might drop out, they do no pay the team to embarrass the KHL.

Jokerit is 40% owned by a Russian owned nickel mine, I don't understand why a nickel mine wants to own a deeply financially unstable hockey team unless it is a political thing. If Jokerit starts to rebel against the Russians, they will just dump the team with tons of debt.

Under Hartwall co-ownership (the corporate reports I could find are beyond opaque) there was lots of latitude to financial engineer your way into paying out for losses for the business from Russian funds while paying your other companies not based in Russia a healthy profit.

I have no idea if that happened(due to opaqueness of corporate filings) but the possibility is there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Under Hartwall co-ownership (the corporate reports I could find are beyond opaque) there was lots of latitude to financial engineer your way into paying out for losses for the business from Russian funds while paying your other companies not based in Russia a healthy profit.

I have no idea if that happened(due to opaqueness of corporate filings) but the possibility is there.

Hartwall have not owned Jokerit nor the arena. They pay for the arena naming rights.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
The guy who owns Hartwall owned Jokerit. That was part of the gimmick.

Im sorry, just for clarification, do you mean the owner of Hartwall Arena or Hartwall the Drinks company. Because the company is very much owned by Heineken and by international conglomerates since the early 2000's. The arena is owned by Timchenko, who used to be part owner of Jokerit (the result of which would be the "gimmick" you describe).

Are those corporate reports for Hartwall or the Arena ownership group (Arena Events Oy) which is owned by Timchenko and Rotenberg?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If they're in a mandatory quarantine it will have been imposed purely on medical grounds and can not be lifted based on any unrelated considerations. On the other hand if it's voluntary it also can not be lifted as it's the team's decision to start with.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If they're in a mandatory quarantine it will have been imposed purely on medical grounds and can not be lifted based on any unrelated considerations. On the other hand if it's voluntary it also can not be lifted as it's the team's decision to start with.
As always, you are right!

Reactions: CPFC

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Is he better than Kalnins though? And if not, it does nothing to the playoff roster.

Was just looking at Janis Kalnins' profile and seems he's put up pretty good numbers in the KHL since playing in Hungary. Realize he's a bit under ideal size for an NHL goalie but did he ever receive an NHL camp invitation?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looks like 5 more sponsors have dropped out: SOL, Matkapojat, Milwaukee, IKH and Puustelli (I think they dropped out already with Veikkaus during the Belarus trip thing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad