Johnsson or Kapanen your choice

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Probably. To start - those are the key words there IMO, I think there's a better than 50% chance that Johnsson will play at some point in the 1st round.

Yup especially if they're down in the series and need a bit of a shake-up
But I think Leo will play higher in the lineup......unfortunately

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yup especially if they're down in the series and need a bit of a shake-up
But I think Leo will play higher in the lineup......unfortunately

I doubt it. I don't see them breaking up Kadri's line and I don't know where else Leo would play. It's either the 4th line or pressbox for Leo IMO, if he struggles then Johnsson may get a shot.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
When Leo returns who of these 2 would you rather we keep up?
I would choose johnsson just because he's completely home grown and I've been routing for a while.
I do think Kapanen has a higher cieling so I'm basically just being selfish.
What's your choice and reason?
I would much rather sit Komarov and play KK and AJ.
I love him as a player but he's only valuable in a defensive checking role now, where the other two are excellent transition players.
If Leo could regain some of this physical play from a few years ago I'd want him in there but as it stands, the other two options bring much more to the table.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I would much rather sit Komarov and play KK and AJ.
I love him as a player but he's only valuable in a defensive checking role now, where the other two are excellent transition players.
If Leo could regain some of this physical play from a few years ago I'd want him in there but as it stands, the other two options bring much more to the table.
I think everyone agrees with this but the chances are Leo will get his spot back so 1 of them will go down. More than likely AJ

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think everyone agrees with this but the chances are Leo will get his spot back so 1 of them will go down. More than likely AJ

Babs made it pretty clear that Leo will be back in. Not surprised, that has been Babs' style from day 1. Only way AJ gets in is if Kappy/Brown struggle or somebody is injured. Leivo is a distant memory at this point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
On whether he’ll be able to find a spot for Andreas Johnsson when Leo Komarov comes back:
Maybe I don’t. I can tell you Leo is going in for sure. We need the heavy body and the penalty killer. He’s a man. But that’s just the way it is. But I think Johnny has been real good.

Mike Babcock Post Game: Sabres 3 vs. Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

And no way Babcock sits him no matter how he performs

I hope you're wrong and I really think we should give Babcock a little more credit than that. Not saying you're wrong, but I hope you're wrong.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"Sorry Andreas. I like you and you're better than I thought, but we need a man to play. you're done"
that's just the public message too. I feel bad for the guy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babs made it pretty clear that Leo will be back in. Not surprised, that has been Babs' style from day 1. Only way AJ gets in is if Kappy/Brown struggle or somebody is injured. Leivo is a distant memory at this point.
Ya I actually agree with Babcock about the heavy body especially for the playoffs.
If this were Grundstrom instead of AJ I think Leo would ride the pine

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Johnsson has 1 goal 0 assists in 6 games = .17 points/game
Leo has 7 goals and 12 assists in 71 games = .27 points/game
Johnsson has no playoff experience
Leo has 13 games experience
Johnsson's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is unknown at this time.
Leo's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is appreciated and known.
Tampa and Boston are both scoring at more than 22% rate/pp and with the Leafs averaging 7 min/game in the box, that leads to both potential opponents scoring roughly one pp goal/1.5 games.

I'd want to have one of my better penalty killers available to me vs the unknown. I'd want someone who has experienced playoff pressure vs someone who has not, especially in a secondary/specialized role. I'd want someone who can agitate. I'd want someone who can support a Dzone face-off if the primary C gets booted from the circle. I'd want someone who is scoring at a higher rate than someone who is potentially going to score at a higher rate (and yes, I think Johnsson will eventually score at a higher rate than Leo, but he isn't now), and I'll take 'heavy' and savvy over light, young and unproven.
I'll take Leo.

Reactions: BlueBaron and Once

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Johnsson has 1 goal 0 assists in 6 games = .17 points/game
Leo has 7 goals and 12 assists in 71 games = .27 points/game
Johnsson has no playoff experience
Leo has 13 games experience
Johnsson's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is unknown at this time.
Leo's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is appreciated and known.
Tampa and Boston are both scoring at more than 22% rate/pp and with the Leafs averaging 7 min/game in the box, that leads to both potential opponents scoring roughly one pp goal/1.5 games.

I'd want to have one of my better penalty killers available to me vs the unknown. I'd want someone who has experienced playoff pressure vs someone who has not, especially in a secondary/specialized role. I'd want someone who can agitate. I'd want someone who can support a Dzone face-off if the primary C gets booted from the circle. I'd want someone who is scoring at a higher rate than someone who is potentially going to score at a higher rate (and yes, I think Johnsson will eventually score at a higher rate than Leo, but he isn't now), and I'll take 'heavy' and savvy over light, young and unproven.
I'll take Leo.
All fair points and I'm actually one that thinks Leo should play in the playoffs but AJ has shl playoff experience and won a championship.
I know different league but it's still valuable experience

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ya I actually agree with Babcock about the heavy body especially for the playoffs.
If this were Grundstrom instead of AJ I think Leo would ride the pine

Not so sure. Babs remains loyal to his vets. He goes with who got him there and Leo is one of those guys. Leo is needed more vs Bruins than TB but it won't matter to Babs.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What I like about AJ is his speed, hunger and passion. Want to see him score and see that smile a few more times this year.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Let Komarov center Johnsson and Kapanen. He may not be a natural center but he takes some face offs and is good defensively.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let Komarov center Johnsson and Kapanen. He may not be a natural center but he takes some face offs and is good defensively.

They didn't trade for Pleks to have him sit next to Leivo in the press box and to replace him with a winger is a reach.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
They didn't trade for Pleks to have him sit next to Leivo in the press box and to replace him with a winger is a reach.
Some times you just have to admit you screwed up. They can simply say they weren't expecting Johnsson to be ready this early.

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
All fair points and I'm actually one that thinks Leo should play in the playoffs but AJ has shl playoff experience and won a championship.
I know different league but it's still valuable experience

Please don't think I'm dumping on Johnsson, I quite like him, so far and so far as what he's done, but his experience in the SHL is not equivalent to the Stanley Cup playoffs. I'm quite happy to have him on the team and think in certain situations he might be a valuable substitute or replacement as the playoffs wear on, but I'll go with proven experience and penalty killing abilities over youthful enthusiasm (and talent). Had he a more proven track record to establish himself, I might feel differently.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
What I like about AJ is his speed, hunger and passion. Want to see him score and see that smile a few more times this year.

I think we all would like the same, but until he does he's just Soshnikov with a better smile. Attractive and tempting, but not a proved improvement.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Some times you just have to admit you screwed up. They can simply say they weren't expecting Johnsson to be ready this early.

Recall how many questioned Moore during the preseason? It took until the TDL to admit that Moore was not the answer. Pleks would truly have to suck to play his way off the team in the middle of the playoffs. Even if Pleks was injured, Moore would be the next up IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think we all would like the same, but until he does he's just Soshnikov with a better smile. Attractive and tempting, but not a proved improvement.

I think he has a higher ceiling than Sosh. Unlike Leivo he has also been able keep himself in the lineup. He is trending up; just needs more time to prove his AHL days are behind him (as did Kappy).

Reactions: meefer

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Komarov over Johnsson in the playoffs. We need a bit of toughness against the bruins. If we play the bolts first round, I could see Johnson in for a game or 2 in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00