Johnsson or Kapanen your choice

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Unfortunately both Kapanen and Komarov will play ahead of Johnson. Its for no other reason other then needing the vet that can bang, kill penalties and pot the odd goal in a playoff atmosphere. Komarov will be a useful asset against the Bruins or Bolts. Does anyone remember how he single handidly turned game 3 in Toronto last season with two big hits against the Caps? I was there, totally turned the game around. This is what he brings, the intensity that is needed come playoffs.

Reactions: Once

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The Leafs organization does a phenomenal job at slowly transitioning their AHL players into the NHL. e.g. Kapanen has been up-down -up-down for ~3 years now, and has finally earned a roster spot.

Johnsson has his opportunity at the tail-end of a season for a playoff secured team. Accounting for the bigger picture here, the organization has a better evaluation of Johnsson for next year, thus easing the decision to move on from Leo this summer. My point is: I don't think coaching staff brought Johnsson up for the playoffs or to steal Leo's spot, that ain't happening. He's brought up for future considerations of not only next year, but barring injury to one of our forwards if we make a deep run in the PO.

Reactions: ToneDog

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not so sure. Babs remains loyal to his vets. He goes with who got him there and Leo is one of those guys. Leo is needed more vs Bruins than TB but it won't matter to Babs.
While he's loyal he also is sitting Martin for Kapanen which is sensible but goes against the Babcock will always go with his vet theory
My thought on grundstrom is that he's a big body but with better skill thy Leo so if he were showing well maybe Babcock would keep him in as gruny would also supply the needed sandpaper too

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Please don't think I'm dumping on Johnsson, I quite like him, so far and so far as what he's done, but his experience in the SHL is not equivalent to the Stanley Cup playoffs. I'm quite happy to have him on the team and think in certain situations he might be a valuable substitute or replacement as the playoffs wear on, but I'll go with proven experience and penalty killing abilities over youthful enthusiasm (and talent). Had he a more proven track record to establish himself, I might feel differently.
Ya I didn't think you were dumping on him at all and I know the leagues are different but I don't think we should count out Johnssons shl experience. It's still a very good league and a worthy accomplishment.

Reactions: meefer

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Obviously the leagues are different but your making Johnsson sound like a kid fresh out of the OHL whereas he has tons of pro experience
Like I said I will try to watch brown a bit closer and see but from recall he's not doing much out there except being good in out end

Have you seen his linemates play defense? That's why Brown is there

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Easily Kapanen right now. Johnsson hasnt proved much yet. This stretch of games was always going to be a "Test Run" for him. He also lucked out since with two of our regulars getting injured.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Johnsson has 1 goal 0 assists in 6 games = .17 points/game
Leo has 7 goals and 12 assists in 71 games = .27 points/game
Johnsson has no playoff experience
Leo has 13 games experience
Johnsson's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is unknown at this time.
Leo's penalty killing expertise in the NHL is appreciated and known.
Tampa and Boston are both scoring at more than 22% rate/pp and with the Leafs averaging 7 min/game in the box, that leads to both potential opponents scoring roughly one pp goal/1.5 games.

I'd want to have one of my better penalty killers available to me vs the unknown. I'd want someone who has experienced playoff pressure vs someone who has not, especially in a secondary/specialized role. I'd want someone who can agitate. I'd want someone who can support a Dzone face-off if the primary C gets booted from the circle. I'd want someone who is scoring at a higher rate than someone who is potentially going to score at a higher rate (and yes, I think Johnsson will eventually score at a higher rate than Leo, but he isn't now), and I'll take 'heavy' and savvy over light, young and unproven.
I'll take Leo.
While Komarov does have high points per game, it's a pretty unfair comparison since he generally gets way more ice time.
Johnsson: .98 p/60
Komarov: 0.69 p/60
obviously, Johnsson has been getting very unlucky and has created tons of chances for himself, but he still is more productive with his minutes than Komarov is.

Our PK has been fine without Komarov, and our 5v5 play has been better. Johnsson's possession and expected goals are much better than Komarov's, because he drives play so much better. Komarov isn't a good agitator because he takes more penalties than he draws. At least Johnsson can use his speed to give the other team fits and draw penalties. Really the only advantage Komarov has is his weight, which isn't good enough

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Have you seen his linemates play defense? That's why Brown is there

That line has been fine defensively since about mid November. The Bozak line's issue this year has been scoring not being scored on. I would swap Brown for Johnsson personally, I think Brown has helped the possession numbers but I think that's it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson had a burst carrying the puck out of our zone through the neutral zone last night that was impressive, genuine plus speed. I hadn't seen that in him before, always seemed fast enough but he could catch defenders flat footed as well

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
-- insert meme of cute little kid saying "Why don't we have both?" --

This is a false dichotomy. Kapanen is here to stay. And since Johnsson will be eligible for waivers this fall (according to CapFriendly), he definitely isn't getting demoted.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That line has been fine defensively since about mid November. The Bozak line's issue this year has been scoring not being scored on. I would swap Brown for Johnsson personally, I think Brown has helped the possession numbers but I think that's it.

It hasn't missed a beat since the Marner Brown swap either

It's a hard argument to make breaking up something that's working, I'd put the Hyman on the Matthews line thing as well

Hard to say he's not brown level yet. That 4th line is solid. They have been doing well against top lines in the d zone

That line works and playing well on the 4th line isn't the same thing Salt

I'd just not put Komarov back in which would be the smart option but I'm in no way willing to basically swap Brown for Komorov (which is what happens in your scenario)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

didn't see this posted anywhere. Here is the confirmation of what we all expected

I mean of course he was going in, the vet will always get the tie and he's hardly a liability killing penalties and being hard to play against. A guy like Leo excel's when the penalties a little more loose.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

They started playing well defensively before the swap though, I don't think Brown hurts the line just he's been the least impressive of the wingers who can be replaced when Leo returns. We know Marleau, Hyman, Marner, Nylander and JVR aren't going anywhere.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kapanen has shown he has breakout speed, that can take opposing teams by surprise and I would like to see him on the Bozak line where he will get more ice time, as much as I like Brownie, I think he is more suited to the Forth line, as a defensive forward with good speed and Komarov can play on the left side and perhps be replaced from time to time with Johnsson, however Johnsson may return to the Marlies because they too are in the AHL playoffs and with a number of player changes, I'm sure he will be make the Leafs next year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

It's a hard argument to make breaking up something that's working, I'd put the Hyman on the Matthews line thing as well

That line works and playing well on the 4th line isn't the same thing Salt

I'd just not put Komarov back in which would be the smart option but I'm in no way willing to basically swap Brown for Komorov (which is what happens in your scenario)
I agree that we need to add Leo for the heavy factor.
Brown and hyman imo is not a fair comparison. I still see hyman creating and crashing where I don't see brown doing that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They started playing well defensively before the swap though, I don't think Brown hurts the line just he's been the least impressive of the wingers who can be replaced when Leo returns. We know Marleau, Hyman, Marner, Nylander and JVR aren't going anywhere.

That lines offensive stats haven't taken a hit either with Brown so their scoring and not getting scored on

I'm not sure why were changing things in that case?

I agree that we need to add Leo for the heavy factor.
Brown and hyman imo is not a fair comparison. I still see hyman creating and crashing where I don't see brown doing that.

We're worse 5v5 with Komarov on the team and that's inarguable, statistically and by eye test the only thing he helps is the PK which is pretty good without him

Your using exactly the same argument people use as a justification to move Hyman

Seen this by chance?
"Sure the line works but changing things will make it better with this other guy" which when you look at things logically seems pretty unlikely as that line is kicking ass right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->