Proposal: Johnsson & 2nd for NYR DeAngelo

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
When it's all said and done, I think we will laugh at what an overpayment this offer is. I'd take it and I don't even know who Johnsson is. He could be the guy selling pretzels and I would still make the deal.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Wait... Are you using plus minus to judge someone...and going all the way back to juniors to do it?

Yikes.

He's been a consistent minus player since he was 16....on 7 different teams.

And you're to scared to acknowledge it & figure out why.

Yikes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait... Are you using plus minus to judge someone...and going all the way back to juniors to do it?

Yikes.
Not only that he's terrible at math, its only about-80 combined and other than his his 16 and 17 year old seasons, he only aged one 1 team where they were even 5 games over .500 and that was the Greyhounds here he was +30 something

Yikes.
see above response

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Yikes.

I think Erik Karlssons had like 1 positive season by the time he was 22 as well. A -30 in his first year, too.

Fun times.

For the record, this isn't a comparison or insinuating that DeAngelo is the next Karlsson, or anything of the such. Just highlighting how bad a stat plus minus is for young players, specifically, offensive defensemen.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I love Andreas Johnsson, but with the Leafs' wing depth, I'd consider it. ADA may be bonkers, but sometimes you go for the home run, talent-wise. To me though, it depends on how much of "attitude problems" is "mouths off to coaches" and how much is "lazy." I won't name names because I don't wanna start a fight, but there are plenty of a-holes in the NHL. The last guy who had a long career who I genuinely thought didn't give a **** was Alex Kovalev (tho, I understand the argument that we were too hard on Euros and Russians back then and maybe he was misunderstood).

Mouths off to coaches may have been a problem in lower levels. Lazy is definitely not an adjective I'd use to describe him. I'm sure there are other posters who know more about his off ice issues than me, but I always got the impression that his main "attitude isssue" is that he's a Tony Macaroni from New Jersey who rubbed people the wrong way.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I think Erik Karlssons had like 1 positive season by the time he was 22 as well. A -30 in his first year, too.

Fun times.

For the record, this isn't a comparison or insinuating that DeAngelo is the next Karlsson, or anything of the such. Just highlighting how bad a stat plus minus is for young players, specifically, offensive defensemen.

On one team it's irrelevant (Karlsson). I would agree.

On 7 different teams it's a concerning trend.

Especially when the guys up 2 PPG in an OHL season & still goes -30 .

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

Fun times.

Tony Angelo doesn't ever belong in a sentence with EK.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
On one team it's irrelevant (Karlsson). I would agree.

On 7 different teams it's a concerning trend.

Especially when the guys up 2 PPG in an OHL season & still goes -30 .
Do you really need to make things up?

DeAngelo's best season in the OHL was 89 points in 55 games. He was +34 that year.

But why let something like facts get in the way of this obvious blind disdain you have for DeAngelo, right?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
wouldnt even want the leafs to give up a 2nd for denagelo, let alone add johnsson

very poorly thought out proposal. kid is arguably the worst dman in his own end in the league. yikes

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why is he a minus 150'ish throughout his career? (OHL + AHL + NHL).

He's been a minus player on like 7 different teams?

(I'm actually just asking because I don't know)

And why did he switch from Anthony to Tony as an adult?

Did he join the NJ mob?

because he is gifted offensively, but easily one of the worst defensively .

I hate +/- but -30 over his 74 NHL games is a HUGE red flag

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If I was given a choice of adding either of these packages to my team I'd take johnsson + 2nd.

Canucks Fan.

I'm guessing you haven't seen much of DeAngelo because his skillset and in particular his passing is top notch. Throwing away a defensive prospect like him for Johnsson and a draft pick would be idiotic. The Rangers should absolutely give him more ice time and see what he's capable of in an expanded role. Trading him makes no sense, but trading him for that particular package is even dumber.

Reactions: slg1963

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I've seen many, many, many games from Gardiner and without a doubt his defensive flaws are very evident in his own end.
Gardiner's biggest defensive flaw (and the one that makes people think he is bad defensively, even though he clearly is a net positive) is that he makes bad decisions and mistakes on the offensive blueline. Bad pinches, stumbles/fumbles the puck, or simple trips over his own skates leading to a breakaway or 2-on-1. While he is never going to be a defensive stalwart, or win many corner battles against bigger forwards - he is far from being a terrible defender in his own zone.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gardiner's biggest defensive flaw (and the one that makes people think he is bad defensively, even though he clearly is a net positive) is that he makes bad decisions and mistakes on the offensive blueline. Bad pinches, stumbles/fumbles the puck, or simple trips over his own skates leading to a breakaway or 2-on-1. While he is never going to be a defensive stalwart, or win many corner battles against bigger forwards - he is far from being a terrible defender in his own zone.

Time and time again I've seen him blow coverage in his own zone, be soft on guys in the corner and in front of the net and make ridiculously poor decisions moving the puck in his own zone by passing to a player who is not able to receive the puck or worse, passing to no player at all.

If you've watched Gardiner's career and your take away is that his has no issues in his own zone and that his biggest issues are at the offensive blueline, I would seriously question what you've been watching.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
wouldnt even want the leafs to give up a 2nd for denagelo, let alone add johnsson

very poorly thought out proposal. kid is arguably the worst dman in his own end in the league. yikes

This is arguably the most ignorant post in this thread. ADA isn't the worst dman on his team, let alone in this league.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

That isn't even close to being true. You really shouldn't make statements when you have no idea what you are talking about.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It doesn't work for the Leafs. It also doesn't work for us. If you look at our current group of D-men, ADA is more value to us right now, whether he turns into something or not.

Reactions: slg1963

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I've seen many, many, many games from Gardiner and without a doubt his defensive flaws are very evident in his own end.

The legend himself, throwing sucker-punches of truth at us.

278_mirror.jpg

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Do you really need to make things up?

DeAngelo's best season in the OHL was 89 points in 55 games. He was +34 that year.

But why let something like facts get in the way of this obvious blind disdain you have for DeAngelo, right?

I've never met Deangelo or seen him play. So I have no opinion of him.

upload_2018-10-15_12-38-48.png

But why get so defensive of this instead of explaining it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad