Value of: Johnny Hockey to LA

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Starts with one of Kopitar/Doughty and Vilardi/Kupari for both Gaudreau and Brouwer. Don't like it? Well too bad, Flames won't trade Gaudreau to a rival.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Love the ignorance.

He put the team on his back as a rookie and dragged them to the playoffs, where he was the MVP of their playoff run. He did the same in the back 1/3 of the 2016-17 season to get them to the playoffs.

Without Gaudreau the Flames would be at 9 consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs (and counting).

He's won at every level, and proven to be big game player.

USHL Championship
NCAA National Championship
WJC Gold Medal

How am I ignorant? How far has Calgary got with him in 5 pro seasons? They've won 5 playoff games and made the playoffs twice. CLUTCH. He's a great player but he's not the solution to that team.

Yep, he won kids tournaments. He's won nothing in the NHL. Excuse me, he's won 5 playoff games and 1 series against a luke warm Canucks team. Nigel Dawes has won WJC Gold who cares. The WJC is a whole different game than the NHL one.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Gaudreau seems to be money for 75-85 points per season and he is in his prime and he is on an undermarket Cap hit of $6.75 million.

... so a lot.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
How am I ignorant? How far has Calgary got with him in 5 pro seasons? They've won 5 playoff games and made the playoffs twice. CLUTCH. He's a great player but he's not the solution to that team.

Yep, he won kids tournaments. He's won nothing in the NHL. Excuse me, he's won 5 playoff games and 1 series against a luke warm Canucks team. Nigel Dawes has won WJC Gold who cares. The WJC is a whole different game than the NHL one.

One player doesn’t win you a cup. It’s a team achievement. He was just showing that Gaudreau is capable of being on a winning team.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
One player doesn’t win you a cup. It’s a team achievement. He was just showing that Gaudreau is capable of being on a winning team.

I totally agree with your first sentence. The name of the game is all about quality of depth, and having a team that fits your system. That's why Vegas is such a great team and did so well. One player doesn't win you a cup. That's why I think given the fact that Calgary has struggled even with Gaudreau that unloading 1 player for a bunch of quality depth is an interesting strategy, especially when you'd be getting peak value for that 1 player.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

You answered your own question in the very next sentence. Good job.

Also funny to see someone relate clutchness with team success, especially when playing for a garbage team. I guess John Tavares is the opposite of clutch then?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It would realistically take Toffoli, Vilardi, Clague, and a first rounder, but there’s no real reason for either team to actually do it.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Lol... Love how you included his first season... Where he played 1 game and got 1 goal as a "pro season"...

In four seasons, he's dragged stuggling teams into the playoffs multiple times. He is the offence. He produces consistently, regardless of how bad the team around him is. He is the definition of a winner.

Reactions: CF84

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I totally agree with your first sentence. The name of the game is all about quality of depth, and having a team that fits your system. That's why Vegas is such a great team and did so well. One player doesn't win you a cup. That's why I think given the fact that Calgary has struggled even with Gaudreau that unloading 1 player for a bunch of quality depth is an interesting strategy, especially when you'd be getting peak value for that 1 player.

BT manages to build some depth this off season without trading Gaudreau.... WTF do they need to trade quality for quantity now.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
pretty simple

Giordano+Gaudreau

Doughty+Tiffoli

Pretty simple, all you would hear is outright laughter on the other end of the line, Treliving saying get serious, and the phone hanging up. That's a terrible trade for the Flames.

Cap wise its awful.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lol... Love how you included his first season... Where he played 1 game and got 1 goal as a "pro season"...

In four seasons, he's dragged stuggling teams into the playoffs multiple times. He is the offence. He produces consistently, regardless of how bad the team around him is. He is the definition of a winner.

Lots of good players produce for bad teams. That doesn't make them winners lol.

We'll just have to see what happens, I can't see Gaudreau getting dealt, but I also can't see the great Gaudreau taking the Flames to the playoffs next season. The team isn't good enough in comparison to the teams in that division and conference. Vegas, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim are all still strong, and the other struggling non-playoff teams like the Flames have also improved. Gaudreau will carry this team to the golf course, book mark this comment and make me eat my words if I'm wrong.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

We'll just have to see what happens, I can't see Gaudreau getting dealt, but I also can't see the great Gaudreau taking the Flames to the playoffs next season. The team isn't good enough in comparison to the teams in that division and conference. Vegas, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim are all still strong, and the other struggling non-playoff teams like the Flames have also improved. Gaudreau will carry this team to the golf course, book mark this comment and make me eat my words if I'm wrong.
Gaudreau has produced in every single situation his entire hockey career, the NCAA, the NHL, and in international tournaments. That what he does.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

San Jose sucks led by old greasers

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

It's a terrible strategy generally.

The best teams keep their best players and try to find their depth any way they can. It's way easier to find depth players than replace stars.

Why don't the Kings trade Doughty or Kopitar for a second liner and a 1st?

Because you can always draft another second liner, or luck into one through trade. Finding another Doughty is almost impossible.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

So by your logic, John Tavares is not a winner? And I guess Connor McDavid and Jamie Benn too?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doughty and Kopitar have more if not similar value. Doughty has more, but with CGY needing a RH forward, a goaltender, and a sweetener maybe something like

Pearson, Tiffoli, and Quick would and should do it- but that’s a lot from LA.
A couple things. 1) the Flames don't need anymore RH shot forwards. Between the draft and July 1st, we acquired 3 of them in Lindholm, Ryan and Czarnik. 2) We don't need a goalie until at least next summer (I actually expect Smith to re-sign for a year or two).

That said in a vacuum your offer isn't terrible, but it is not something the Flames (or Kings for that matter), would go for.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We can't get Gaudreau from Calgary. This is just not a good premise for a deal. We're asking for an exorbitantly expensive, unavailable asset and we don't even need a player like that.

If anything we need Toffoli to just perform like he's supposed to and then we'll be just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad