Johnny Hockey Contract Watch - The End of Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I totally trust Treliving.

I'm 100% sure that Monahan and Gaudreau want to be in Calgary for the next 5-6 years and want to win a Championship here.

I'm confident they'll sign, but I am a smidge worried or atleast curious about the length of their next deal.

Should clarify that my main concern centers around Johnny.

Does Gaudreau want to retire a Flame? Will he be here in 10 years? what about in 8 years?

At what point does Gaudreau want to play and win in Philly, NJ or Boston.

How does Gaudreau's longer term interests affect the length of this deal and buying up UFA years.?

Gaudreau isn't just your common young player coming off of his ELC and shouting off the roof tops that he'll be staying with his team forever.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I totally trust Treliving.

I'm 100% sure that Monahan and Gaudreau want to be in Calgary for the next 5-6 years and want to win a Championship here.

I'm confident they'll sign, but I am a smidge worried or atleast curious about the length of their next deal.

Should clarify that my main concern centers around Johnny.

Does Gaudreau want to retire a Flame? Will he be here in 10 years? what about in 8 years?

At what point does Gaudreau want to play and win in Philly, NJ or Boston.

How does Gaudreau's longer term interests affect the length of this deal and buying up UFA years.?

Gaudreau isn't just your common young player coming off of his ELC and shouting off the roof tops that he'll be staying with his team forever.

I have some serious doubts Gaudreau will want to play in Calgary his whole career. I would guess after this contract he may want to go back East.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have some serious doubts Gaudreau will want to play in Calgary his whole career. I would guess after this contract he may want to go back East.

I hope you're wrong, but who knows. I see it like I think Johnny is a real fan of the game and it's history. I think he wants to have a storied career and it's rare for a player to stay with 1 team their whole career unless their elite players. Gaudreau is best buds with Monahan, we just got Bennett and Tkackuk, as long as the Flames are competitive, I think he'll be content to stay.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I hope you're wrong, but who knows. I see it like I think Johnny is a real fan of the game and it's history. I think he wants to have a storied career and it's rare for a player to stay with 1 team their whole career unless their elite players. Gaudreau is best buds with Monahan, we just got Bennett and Tkackuk, as long as the Flames are competitive, I think he'll be content to stay.

I have a gut feeling he still wants to be a Flyer some day. It's not based on anything of substance though :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Who would've predicted Doan falling in love with Arizona? Or Patrick Kane with Chicago? Hell, Stamkos had an open opportunity to go home but stayed in Tampa instead. I'd say players choosing to bolt home is the exception, not the rule. Gaudreau with a long term contract will likely put some roots down in Calgary, and then he'll feel like Calgary is home. As long as he has good experiences hockey-wise, I doubt there's anything to worry about.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Who would've predicted Doan falling in love with Arizona? Or Patrick Kane with Chicago? Hell, Stamkos had an open opportunity to go home but stayed in Tampa instead. I'd say players choosing to bolt home is the exception, not the rule. Gaudreau with a long term contract will likely put some roots down in Calgary, and then he'll feel like Calgary is home. As long as he has good experiences hockey-wise, I doubt there's anything to worry about.

Iginla left.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau, who said his father's guidance was one of the main reasons he reached the NHL, is a restricted free agent. He is negotiating a contract extension and said he plans to have a long stint with Calgary but would love to play for the Flyers toward the end of his career.

"Everyone wants to play for their hometown team eventually," Gaudreau said.

Carchidi also tweeted that, "Gaudreau says he hopes to play a lot of seasons in Calgary, but would love to play for Flyers at end of his career."

He did say this all the way back in May of 2016.

YXgCUab.png

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That doesn't really mean anything. Iginla said it would be easy to return to Calgary to end his career here when he was traded, he had to say that. What's Gaudreau or anyone in that position supposed to say if asked that, "No I would never want to play here"? That's a pretty standard answer and bottom line he probably doesn't know what's going to happen. A lot will determine on how good the Flames are later in his career and whats the Flames appetite to keep him providing he doesn't have any serious injury problems.

I'm not directing anything at you Calc, I know you're providing something to talk about. But I don't think it means much TBH.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC

I think Johnny will stay, I think he likes it here.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The ball's very much in Johnny's court for the contract negotiations.

As for whether he'll be a Flame forever, I have my doubts. But I think as long as we keep making positive steps as an organization he'll stay. If we start to stagnate again in 3-4 years, I could see him asking for a trade.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, Johnny strikes me as a guy who will completely depend on if this team continues to go the right way.

Like Monahan, I see him sticking around for good. Independent if we're successful over the next 6 years or not.

I feel like Johnny on the flip side, if we're not competitive enough will either go to UFA or ask to be traded out East.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
As for Gaudreau wanting to end his career in Philly, he's 22 and a lot could change before his next contract will expire. Every 22 year old has a list of idealistic things that just didn't happen once they got older and life got in the way. All it would take is him getting with a Calgary girl that wants to stay in Calgary and next thing you know, he wants to finish out his career as a Flame.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A little bit of news today regarding Johnny from Elliotte Friedman: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/worl...gaudreau-play-world-cup-without-nhl-contract/

[fieldset=Elliotte Friedman]There’s some question about unsigned free agents — Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan and Jacob Trouba, for example — and whether or not they will compete without new contracts. According to a couple of sources, Gaudreau confirmed he will do so earlier this week.

Players can purchase extra insurance to cover themselves and it’s believed he did so.

Adding an extra layer to the story, word is the Calgary Flames were told Gaudreau does not wish to negotiate after his World Cup arrival, scheduled for Sept. 4, preferring to concentrate on the games. That moratorium would last for the duration of the event, which would be Oct. 1 if the final goes a full three games.

Gaudreau’s agent, Lewis Gross, declined to comment. Neither would Flames GM Brad Treliving.[/fieldset]

May 27, 2012
Earth
He probably wants Tarasenko money but the Flames are either low balling him or trying to get a bridge deal. Probably the same with Monahan.

This is just speculation obviously, but I don't see any other scenario other than both wanting out. Which I doubt.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still think the issue comes from signing bonuses. Agents want them, teams do not, especially in the season in which there will be another lockout. I would bet money this is where the problem lays.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the bonuses are definitely a factor. I also think they want to announce both deals at the same time, this isn't Wotherspoon were talking about, it's the cornerstones of our franchise and trying to sign them at the same time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Seems to me like with both of these statements, things have become a lot more serious regarding the negotiation. Before today, everything we heard seemed so amicable, but now I think the time factor is starting to weigh heavily, and both sides are starting to knuckle down. Could be seen as a good thing, but also could be seen as a bad thing with tension being taken up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad