Johnny Hockey Contract Watch - The End of Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This how we do things in Calgary for the last 25 years. I don't like it at all. Talk about ruining a summer for parties involved.

I think comparing these two to Kane and Toews is legit. Thank goodness this isn't a few years down the road with them having cups under their belts. But again, we're doing things the yokal small-town way in Calgary. And this with maybe the best talent (Gaudreau) we've ever had.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This how we do things in Calgary for the last 25 years. I don't like it at all. Talk about ruining a summer for parties involved.

I think comparing these two to Kane and Toews is legit. Thank goodness this isn't a few years down the road with them having cups under their belts. But again, we're doing things the yokal small-town way in Calgary. And this with maybe the best talent (Gaudreau) we've ever had.

What the hell? How do you define the "small-town way?" Negotiating?

This doesn't ruin their summers in any way, because it's their agents' job to negotiate on their behalf. You can follow Johnny and Sean's summers, and they certainly aren't held captive in Calgary until they are signed.

The way Treliving has gotten guys re-signed since he took the job has been pretty much exemplary. If that's what you're defining as "small-town" as opposed to how a big market might just throw around dollars without a second thought, then obviously we should want to stay "small-town" forever. What a ridiculous comment.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Does it though? I imagine their agents are doing most of the work involved in this process.

I think we are probably more concerned than they are. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

This doesn't ruin their summers in any way, because it's their agents' job to negotiate on their behalf. You can follow Johnny and Sean's summers, and they certainly aren't held captive in Calgary until they are signed.

The way Treliving has gotten guys re-signed since he took the job has been pretty much exemplary. If that's what you're defining as "small-town" as opposed to how a big market might just throw around dollars without a second thought, then obviously we should want to stay "small-town" forever. What a ridiculous comment.

Great post AS. Being smart with your money and being small town, are not the same thing. I find it hysterical people are worried about this. Treliving is just doing his usual "process" to make sure the number works for the players so that they are happy and the team has a manageable cap number.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Johnny and Mony have not won cups like Toews and Kane.

I think we are looking at:

4 years - 5.25 mill
5 years - 5.75 mill
6 years - 6 - 6.25 mill
7 years - 6.25-6.5 mill
8 years - 7 mill

I think that is what Treliving would probably cap out at. He may be below these marks by $250-500K and likely the player camps are up $250-500 from these.

Meaning, that my guess is that the parties are $500K to $1 mill apart per year.

They will close this gap, but no rush until say early Sept.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd bet the dollars and term have been agreed upon in principle, but I think the hangup is the July 1st signing bonuses. There will likely be another lockout during the term of these contracts and you can bet your sweet ass that their agents are trying to get almost the full salary for their players in the 2022-23 season and any other season in which the CBA could expire because the bonuses would be paid out prior to the expiration of the CBA and thus their clients would lose minimal dollars that season. These signing bonuses also have to be paid in full on a buyout, so more or more agents are pushing for them to guarantee more of the contract.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

So waiting to hear if you're going to make $6 million or $8 million a year for the next half decade means your summer's ruined? Haha.

Kris Russell's summer is ruined. Not the kids'.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Outside of Hamilton . . . Have we ever once spent? I don't even care if the word recklass for once is involved. I mean we've been a nickle and dime our stars team since the 80s. Just once I'd like to see our best not have to take a hometown discount. And Stajan was just a bad contract.

Honestly this ONE time I'd have liked to see a contract done months ago. Hell Yzerman in Tampa blasted out what 3 or 4 superstar and star contracts within a week or so of the draft? Just once I'd like to see this in Calgary. And I'm talking more about Gaudreau than Monahan. I get every detail about the money climate of today's contracts. It doesn't change my mind. Both of these contracts could have been done months ago and I bet for no difference than what they'll end up being.

Anyway, you're probably right and I'm probably wrong. But I do feel I earned my armchair gm dollars today. I feel like Glen Sather.

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Outside of Hamilton . . . Have we ever once spent? I don't even care if the word recklass for once is involved. I mean we've been a nickle and dime our stars team since the 80s. Just once I'd like to see our best not have to take a hometown discount. And Stajan was just a bad contract.

Honestly this ONE time I'd have liked to see a contract done months ago. Hell Yzerman in Tampa blasted out what 3 or 4 superstar and star contracts within a week or so of the draft? Just once I'd like to see this in Calgary. And I'm talking more about Gaudreau than Monahan. I get every detail about the money climate of today's contracts. It doesn't change my mind. Both of these contracts could have been done months ago and I bet for no difference than what they'll end up being.

Anyway, you're probably right and I'm probably wrong. But I do feel I earned my armchair gm dollars today. I feel like Glen Sather.

This is laughable at best. You want us to go out and just blow the bank on players, which then impacts additional players we bring in? Or do you want us to sign players as soon as July 1 hits of the final year of a contract?

Regardless, totally ridiculous. You don't build an NHL franchise, or a business, on this basis.

And just to put an end to your point, we never Nickle and dimed Kipper, Iginla, Dion or Regehr (all our star players) - so saying we have done this since the 80s is ridiculous.

Id rather Brad take his time signing these kids and working out deals to their benefit and the teams. If both take a 1 million discount and Tkachuk and Bennett do the same, that's an extra player top 6 we can bring in to help the team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Outside of Hamilton . . . Have we ever once spent? I don't even care if the word recklass for once is involved. I mean we've been a nickle and dime our stars team since the 80s. Just once I'd like to see our best not have to take a hometown discount.

Why? That means fewer dollars to build a team around those stars. If you're worried about players bolting because they think they're mistreated, I'd say this team has a pretty good track-record with their core guys sticking around until we decide to end it.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Some Flames fans right now

spongebob-brain-fire.gif

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I'm surprised these deals haven't gotten done by now, but I'm not worried. I trust Treliving to get this done and both players to be locked up long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad