Eklund Rumor: Johnny Gaudreau

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
That’s not gonna get you close to Gaudreau, yikes.
A 1st round pick, a top prospect and a top-4 defenseman? If that's the case and it's not close, nobody would bother looking into him.

Both times he was traded Ryan O'Reilly went for less, and he's a 70 point Selke-caliber center.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
then why would he say the Flyers were interested ?
Because he's from Philly.

So, naturally, Buffalo is trying to get Patrick Kane.

Tavares went home, so now someone like Eklund thinks everyone is going to go to their home/childhood team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah yeah...I'm well aware its Eklund but I'm sharing regardless. Get over it.

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Johnny-Hockey-to-Philly-or-NJ--Hall-deal-by-end-of-January/1/102960

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

Yeah I am gonna go ahead and call BS and that this is just the musings of Eklund because the makeup of that deal makes about zero sense for the Flames.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Johnny-Hockey-to-Philly-or-NJ--Hall-deal-by-end-of-January/1/102960

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

NOT trading Ghost, A TOP prospect and a number 1 for Gaudreau ! I'm not saying he's not a good player but i'm not giving up a top prospect and a number 1 pick along with a ghost or Myers in a package ! If that top prospect means a Frost or Farabee, CLICK ! I'd trade Ghost and say a couple prospects like Ratcliffe. If it takes a kid like Farabee or Frost, Hang up

Reactions: Flyer lurker

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flames needs: Top 6 right show winger and a top six right shot center
Flames strengths: Top line left wingers and left side D.

Flyers needs: Centers(?) and right shot D.
Flyers strengths: Left shot D, top six LWs

LeTs TrAdE Our Lw FoR yOuR Ld
Niskanen, Braun, Myers all play right D.
Hayes, Couturier, Laughton Giroux and even Raffl can all play center. Frost is also a center.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The Philly rumor is sooo bad. Ghost is a healthy scratch and the flames are in win-now mode, no picks or prospects will be the main piece, maybe as add ins to even out value.

Gaudreau for Hall (extended) 1 for 1. It makes sense. Hall is from CGY and wants to win, Calgary isnt lighting the world on fire yet but they did finish first in the west last year.

Where i see this deal falling through is if Hall demands 10+ mil plus. Which is very likely. He probably wants to hit FA for the first time in his career and see what his options are.

On the other hand, Gaudreau, while stumbling this year, is on arguable the best contract in the league, after Mackinnon. Top 5 contract for sure. Treliving may very well consider him un-touchable.

He had 99 points last year and is locked up for 3 more at 6.75 per. That makes him the 70th highest paid player in the league.

just bc he was a healthy scratch doesn’t mean he’s bad. He came back and scored a goal in the first game back.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT was brain damaged by the Peters thing

Go ahead and send all your troubles to the flames for Johnny.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
A 1st round pick, a top prospect and a top-4 defenseman? If that's the case and it's not close, nobody would bother looking into him.

Both times he was traded Ryan O'Reilly went for less, and he's a 70 point Selke-caliber center.
- No.

While on paper that does sound like an awesome offer, but when you break it up, Ghost is a top four offensive left shot D man that the flames simply dont need. And say what you want, but anytime a "top 4" D is healthy scratched, it looks bad. I dont care why. The first rounded is always a nice touch, but it doesnt fit the flames needs when trading a top line 99 pt winger. And the "top prospect"? well who is it? what does he play? its too vague to hold water in a trade offer. Is it nolan patrick? is it Frost? Who? Sanheim? Need names.

Also, O'Reilly was never a 70 point point player nor was he a selke-nominee until he arrived in St.Louis, after both of his trades. When he was traded from Colorado, he was a 60 point guy asking for a huge contract that the AV's didnt feel he was worth, he had also just signed an offer sheet with Calgary, which likely upset them. He was then traded to Buffalo, for a package better than the above proposal which was: defenseman Nikita Zadorov (top 4 D), forwards Mikhail Grigorenko (top prospect, former 12th overall pic), a first round pick and J.T. Compher, (draft 35th overall).

Then, he went Buffalo and basically gave up, got a DUI, told the media hockey wasnt fun anymore and contemplated quitting. Even after that, he was traded for a pretty decent, arguably better package than the OP's. He was then traded to St. louis for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka and Tage Thompson, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, and a second-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

Oreilly then went to St.Louis and became an asbsolute beast , winning the Selke and Conn Smythe, and is worth his weight in gold. But before that, he was not a 70 point selke winner with a conn smythe, and he got a huge return.

Also, Gaudreau is signed to a song and a dance, hes the 70th highest paid player and finished with 99 points last year. In a cap era that is huge. I honestly think he is untouchable in CGY.

Reactions: blankall

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

A late first and a “top 4 Dman” that’s why he’s scratched so often? And there’s zero room on the left side. Yeah that’s not getting you Gaudreau.

Dr Pecker

Dec 18, 2018
Needs: top 4 right d

Do they though?

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
then why would he say the Flyers were interested ?
Because he called the Mike Richards trade to the Kings years ago, so now anytime he mentions the Flyers in a rumor people think it has some merit. He's made a career of getting one trade right a near decade ago.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Well, let's "assume" the rumor is real for a second. The Flyers have G, Lindblom and JVR as our top 3 LWs. If we trade JG, a LW would have to go the other way. G isn't going anywhere, JVR can't be bumped down to 4th line for the money we are paying him and I can't see Calgary being interested in him. That leaves Lindblom as the logical choice to be traded. He would make the most sense from a Calgary POV so there could be your "top prospect". I know he's not a prospect anymore but seeing how he's a legit #2 LW right now and looking to trend up, I would think he's the target. Lindblom, Ghost (an RD, not LD) and a small add from the Flyers seems pretty fair. However, with how good Lindblom has looked this year, I don't make that trade. While JG is a fantastic player, I'm fine with Lindblom as our #2 LW

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Flames
Come on now, be serious. If you honestly think you can get that much for them then you don't have a clue

Flames actually say no. There isn't one player on the flyers besides maybe Nolan Patrick that goes 1 for 1 for gaudreau. 99 point player signed for 6.75 mill.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

lol so many things wrong with this :
1. Theoretically, Flames talk options every day , like any other team. In practice, i doubt that they are just starting now.
2. Ghost doesnt have as much value as he once did. Is he still a healthy scratch? Patches got Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd. I think Gaudreau gets lots more than what is suggested here.
3. Who hasn't wanted Gaudreau on their team ?
4. the sentence "Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved" ummm…. wouldn't a 1 for 1 swap accomplish this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad