Eklund Rumor: Johnny Gaudreau

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah yeah...I'm well aware its Eklund but I'm sharing regardless. Get over it.

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Johnny-Hockey-to-Philly-or-NJ--Hall-deal-by-end-of-January/1/102960

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I just don't see us moving on from the most creative and dynamic player we've ever had just because of a rough 50 game patch.

The return from Philly/NJ would need to be ridiculous to have us consider - which they likely wouldn't pursue.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just don't see us moving on from the most creative and dynamic player we've ever had just because of a rough 50 game patch.

The return from Philly/NJ would need to be ridiculous to have us consider - which they likely wouldn't pursue.

Oh, I don't know. If the Flames could get a good ole Western (or anywhere other than Quebec really) Canadian boy out of the deal I'm sure something could be done.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Johnny-Hockey-to-Philly-or-NJ--Hall-deal-by-end-of-January/1/102960

I was very hesitant to add Johnny Hockey to the Rumor Chart, but after talking to several sources this morning I am convinced the Flames are internally discussing options for the first time.

Two teams are jumping to the forefront...both of whom have ties with Gaudreau going back to his youth...Philly and NJ. Gaudreau is from South Jersey...which is really Flyers country.

The Flyers have always wanted Gaudreau and the question is...can they or should they move for him now that his value is at its lowest? Gostisbehere and one of their top prospects along with a #1 pick would get it done I am told. That is very tempting...

NJ is also interested, but not in terms of the rumored Hall for Gaudreau swap that is out there...Rather as a replacement should Hall be moved...an eventuality that is growing more and more likely all the time...

God, I would hope that the Flyers wouldn't give up that much to get Gaudreau. Plus the salary wouldn't work.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Don't need Gotisbehere, a left shot LD. Calgary has LD's and good ones at that. Other than Couturier and/or Sanheim, I don't see much in Philly that would be a good fit.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Oh, I don't know. If the Flames could get a good ole Western (or anywhere other than Quebec really) Canadian boy out of the deal I'm sure something could be done.
We can take all those pesky Canadians off your hands? Hart + Konecny + Frost would do us just fine ;)

Note: This isn't what I expect the value to be for Johnny. Just a joke everyone.

Ghost Bear

Mar 7, 2015
E5?

johnny-gaudreau-if-the-flames-consider-trading-the-south-jersey-boy-flyers-would-be-the-first-team-on-his-list-highlights-recap-postgame.jpg

Reactions: TheGoldenGod

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
The Philly rumor is sooo bad. Ghost is a healthy scratch and the flames are in win-now mode, no picks or prospects will be the main piece, maybe as add ins to even out value.

Gaudreau for Hall (extended) 1 for 1. It makes sense. Hall is from CGY and wants to win, Calgary isnt lighting the world on fire yet but they did finish first in the west last year.

Where i see this deal falling through is if Hall demands 10+ mil plus. Which is very likely. He probably wants to hit FA for the first time in his career and see what his options are.

On the other hand, Gaudreau, while stumbling this year, is on arguable the best contract in the league, after Mackinnon. Top 5 contract for sure. Treliving may very well consider him un-touchable.

He had 99 points last year and is locked up for 3 more at 6.75 per. That makes him the 70th highest paid player in the league.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
The Philly rumor is sooo bad. Ghost is a healthy scratch and the flames are in win-now mode, no picks or prospects will be the main piece, maybe as add ins to even out value.

Gaudreau for Hall (extended) 1 for 1. It makes sense. Hall is from CGY and wants to win, Calgary isnt lighting the world on fire yet but they did finish first in the west last year.

Where i see this deal falling through is if Hall demands 10+ mil plus. Which is very likely. He probably wants to hit FA for the first time in his career and see what his options are.

On the other hand, Gaudreau, while stumbling this year, is on arguable the best contract in the league, after Mackinnon. Top 5 contract for sure. Treliving may very well consider him un-touchable.

He had 99 points last year and is locked up for 3 more at 6.75 per. That makes him the 70th highest paid player in the league.
Ghost was a healthy scratch for mental reason, now look he’s playing great hockey since he’s been back

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Don't need Gotisbehere, a left shot LD. Calgary has LD's and good ones at that. Other than Couturier and/or Sanheim, I don't see much in Philly that would be a good fit.

Konecny would be a great fit, second line right winger has been a target for the flames. Chucky takes Gaudreau spot on top line, and konecny backlund mangia fill out the second. and so would Nolan Patrick. Right shot center to battle with Monahan for #1 has been a huge target for the flames. Bumps backlund to where he should be.

If the main pieces for Gaudreau were Konecny (+) or Patrick 1 for 1 I could see it gaining steam.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Ghost was a healthy scratch for mental reason, now look he’s playing great hockey since he’s been back

CGY does not need a LD, at all, let alone an OFD. Nor does it need a prospect or a pick. Its literally 0/3 and doesnt even get a second thought.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I can see the Flames talking to the Flyers and Devils but GMs talk to each other all the time so these conversations wouldn't really be news.

Bond

May 10, 2012
No point in trading Gaudreau during the season unless you get a return that helps you win. Ghost plus picks does not do that. If they trade him for futures it will be in the offseason

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Flyers were the top team in November, they aren't going to make a monster trade right now, not at least until they know what is happening to Patrick. Jersey is a dumpster fire, I can see them wanting to be active to try and turn things around. I don't see Johnny getting traded though.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I think Pastrnak and Marchands would be two of the best contracts in the league.......

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I think Pastrnak and Marchands would be two of the best contracts in the league.......

100% Agree. There are a few out there, Gaudreau is definitely one of them, especially his 99 point self. Point is, his contract is really goo.d

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019

Funniest thing I've seen in years. Gostisbehere stinks. I can't believe this clown continues to get any value. Try Konecny, York and Frost. Then you're in the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad