Johnny Gaudreau

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I really disliked reading that quote from his mom. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but she doesn't know what she's talking about (other than the size thing). He's in College for hockey. He's doing a Communications degree, not an architecture or doctorate program.

If Shaq can finish college after a pro career, so can Johnny Hockey.

He needs to become a Pro and begin furthering his hockey career. What if he injures himself in College? Then he graduates with a general degree so he can take a Grad photo for his mom?

He has the opportunity to start his young career with a good paycheque. Not like he can't finish one year of college later.

(And I really hope JC doesn't read these. I'd hate to be the reason he doesn't sign with the Flames because I poo-poo'd his mom's opinion)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought they changed that rule because of J.Schultz. Now they don't go to UFA until a year after their senior year.
That rule has not changed, the "Schultz loophole" still very much exists. But not every player is eligible for said loophole.

The only players eligible for the loophole are ones who play a year of Junior (USHL or Canadian Junior B) after being drafted, but before going to the NCAA route. For example if Jankowski had gone to Dubuque as was originally planned he would have been eligible for the loophole after his junior year.

NHL teams more or less own the rights to players that go the NCAA route for 4 years, the loophole really only makes you a UFA on July 1st rather than August 15th.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
RNH was 6' 1" - 185 lbs on his rookie season. Not really a comparable.

There are several other smaller players to compare him to.

The Oilers website has him at 180 lbs now. In his rookie season he was closer to 165-170 or somewhere around there.

And it was a comparison based on size, but rather mass. Hopkins was weak along the boards, and still is frankly. That's a strength and weight issue.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I really disliked reading that quote from his mom. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but she doesn't know what she's talking about

(And I really hope JC doesn't read these. I'd hate to be the reason he doesn't sign with the Flames because I poo-poo'd his mom's opinion)

LOL his mother wants him to graduate from college and that makes her clueless?

Sit down. You're embarrassing yourself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I don't think that is really the point, though. She doesn't really seem to put an emphasis on finishing his degree (after all, it's communications ;)), but rather on making sure he capitalizes on things in his life while he has the chance. Things like graduation ceremonies and such.

As Rangediddy said, starting his hockey career does not mean he can't graduate from college. What his mom seems to be concerned with is that he has a nice time and gets to enjoy the experience of being a senior on campus as opposed to having to start his life as an adult. This is a very motherly sentiment, and isn't always rational. There is equally a risk of Johnny wasting a year when he could be developing, reducing his motivation and passion, etc.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

A little uncalled for. I mean, c'mon, I think my first aid course is worth more than a communications degree.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
His Moms comments are not that surprising, really what Mom wouldn't say that? She just wants what is best for her son. If he does not play in the NHL next year, I can kind of seeing her comments holding some weight. However, JG literally has nothing left to accomplish in College any further, everything that has come from his mouth indicates he wants to turn pro this summer. If was a betting man, I think he'll sign with the Flames this offseason.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
His Moms comments are not that surprising, really what Mom wouldn't say that? She just wants what is best for her son. If he does not play in the NHL next year, I can kind of seeing her comments holding some weight. However, JG literally has nothing left to accomplish in College any further, everything that has come from his mouth indicates he wants to turn pro this summer. If was a betting man, I think he'll sign with the Flames this offseason.

Maybe his mom isn't exactly aware as to what takes place in college when you have spare time from (not) having to study for a communications degree :)snide:) If she did, she wouldn't be encouraging him to stay and have fun.

That or she's the coolest mom on the planet!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Some very speculative speculation on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if his mother wanted him to finish his fourth year so he could sign with a team closer to home. Seems like a motherly-like sentiment.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Some very speculative speculation on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if his mother wanted him to finish his fourth year so he could sign with a team closer to home. Seems like a motherly-like sentiment.

Please don't say that; that would instantly make me hate the Flyers which I don't want!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anything is possible, I can't wait until BC's season is over. We should have a better indication of his intentions then. If doesn't sign this offseason, my worry that he doesn't sign here will definitely escalate.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Please don't say that; that would instantly make me hate the Flyers which I don't want!

Only solution is to call him a mama's boy. That should fix that.

Or alienate him completely. Either or really.

In all seriousness, I think he signs this summer. He seems like a competitive guy and college hockey can't be all that interesting anymore. And then there's all those random twitter accounts and alleged sisters saying he'll sign. I think

outlook.jpg

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

You're right, what mother wouldn't want their son to realize their lifelong dream of...graduating college with a communications degree?

My point is I don't think she understands the nature of player development, which will be extremely important to a guy like JC who has elite talent, but has size issues. The Flames organization will know what's better for his career than his mother will.

As I said, I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but she's blowing it for us!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Per CalgarySun:

"Right now, I'm just worrying about BC. No real set decision yet of what I'm going to do," Gaudreau said. "My mom is really concerned about my degree and me getting stronger and having a senior year and stuff like that. But, I mean, I don't know how much is left here. I've played here for three years and I've had a great three years here so far and I enjoy my time here.

"Senior year would be fun, but I'm not sure if I'll get better at hockey but I'd definitely get a lot stronger in the weight-room.

"It's a decision that I need to make pretty soon."

And make no mistake, it's his decision.

Mom means well, but this is up to Johnny.

"Ultimately, it's going to come down to what I think is best for me," Gaudreau said. "I have my mom telling me what she thinks I should do. I have advisers and family members and everyone telling me what they think I should do and what they think is best for me, but it's going to come down to what I think is best for me and what's best for my hockey career."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I love of all the people he said are telling him what they think he should do that the Calgary Flames are not one of them. :handclap:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's always sounded as though he wants to play here, these comments are more examples that fit his previous statements. Really hope he's a Flame in the near future.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
3 Goals, 3 assists...
I think he's pretty done with College hockey, I mean, what else can he do? Go 3ppg all season?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
3 Goals, 3 assists...
I think he's pretty done with College hockey, I mean, what else can he do? Go 3ppg all season?
he could add muscle, get a 2nd NCAA hattrick, win another NCAA title, try to be the 1st 2x Hobey Baker winner

and that's just off the top of my head.

I am not saying he isn't ready to go, but there is always more to accomplish, so these "what else can he do" type comments are ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad