Johnny Gaudreau

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Gaudreau's gonna be a star. If he keeps up his speed and hits 175 lbs then he'll be golden. He createsscoring chances for everyone, gets plays started, elite IQ, could undress 20 guys in a phone booth, very accurate shot. Hope he and Arnold have good success together in the NHL. What a steal in round 4.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Gaudreau's gonna be a star. If he keeps up his speed and hits 175 lbs then he'll be golden. He createsscoring chances for everyone, gets plays started, elite IQ, could undress 20 guys in a phone booth, very accurate shot. Hope he and Arnold have good success together in the NHL. What a steal in round 4.

:naughty:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Not sure what this has to do with hockey, but sure, I suppose that is considered a talent in some fields of work. I'm glad to hear he has hobbies!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This makes me worried, but hopefully Johnny's a smart man:

[fieldset=NY Times article]The Flames are telling Gaudreau to focus on the coming tournaments and then make the decision. Gaudreau’s mother would like to see her son finish college and graduate, and he said his mother usually prevailed in these kinds of things.

“I don’t think he gets it that when you go out there, it’s not going to be all fun anymore,” Jane Gaudreau said. “I don’t think he gets he may be taking the spot of someone who has a wife and three kids.”

She added: “As his mom, I’d like to see him take one more year to get a little bigger, a little stronger, and to enjoy his senior year. He’s never had a homecoming. He’s never had a prom. He missed his high school graduation. He said he’d have a graduation picture for me.

“Have your senior year. You will never get that back.”[/fieldset]

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/sports/hockey/bu-or-bc-hockey-star-let-brother-pick.html?_r=0

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This makes me worried, but hopefully Johnny's a smart man:

[fieldset=NY Times article]The Flames are telling Gaudreau to focus on the coming tournaments and then make the decision. Gaudreau’s mother would like to see her son finish college and graduate, and he said his mother usually prevailed in these kinds of things.

“I don’t think he gets it that when you go out there, it’s not going to be all fun anymore,†Jane Gaudreau said. “I don’t think he gets he may be taking the spot of someone who has a wife and three kids.â€

She added: “As his mom, I’d like to see him take one more year to get a little bigger, a little stronger, and to enjoy his senior year. He’s never had a homecoming. He’s never had a prom. He missed his high school graduation. He said he’d have a graduation picture for me.

“Have your senior year. You will never get that back.â€[/fieldset]

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/sports/hockey/bu-or-bc-hockey-star-let-brother-pick.html?_r=0

If anything this should make you less worried. Most teenage boys do the opposite of what their mother tells them no? :laugh:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Either he comes this offseason, or he comes next off season, maybe she's right, he has the talent to play here no doubt, but that size could come in handy when he feels his first NHL check, or when he gets himself into the grind of an 82 game season. The fact is he's small, and there is no need to rush him, even if his skill set is NHL ready, his body may not be yet.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Graduation ceremonies and prom are way over-rated anyway. But you know what isn't over-rated?

200.gif

This could be Johnny and Matty Gaudreau:

200.gif

Someone please share this with Johnny.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wouldn't be the worst thing. He really does need to add a whole lot more mass before he's physically ready for the NHL. It's a similar situation to Hopkins with the Oilers; more than ready mentally, but just not quite there physically.

On the otherhand, a year in the AHL might be a lot better for his development than spending another year in a league that isn't challenging for him anymore.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wouldn't be the worst thing. He really does need to add a whole lot more mass before he's physically ready for the NHL. It's a similar situation to Hopkins with the Oilers; more than ready mentally, but just not quite there physically.

On the otherhand, a year in the AHL might be a lot better for his development than spending another year in a league that isn't challenging for him anymore.

I agree. And he's been able to handle himself against bigger, older guys in college for these three years. Why would we expect this to change? It's just a genuinely big concern about whether he'll sign if the option to hit UFA is just a matter of months rather than an entire calendar year.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I would be all for him spending next year in the NCAA but he has nothing left to prove, that is if he wins the hobey baker. It wouldn't hurt his development to play another year in the NCAA but I don't think it would help it. He needs a league that is going to push him more, he does need to add a lot of mass though.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

RNH was 6' 1" - 185 lbs on his rookie season. Not really a comparable.

There are several other smaller players to compare him to.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I agree. And he's been able to handle himself against bigger, older guys in college for these three years. Why would we expect this to change? It's just a genuinely big concern about whether he'll sign if the option to hit UFA is just a matter of months rather than an entire calendar year.

I thought they changed that rule because of J.Schultz. Now they don't go to UFA until a year after their senior year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought they changed that rule because of J.Schultz. Now they don't go to UFA until a year after their senior year.

Isn't Kevin Hayes a senior looking to head to free agency this summer? I don't see why they would change that rule just because the thing that the rules allowed happened.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Not sure how reliable this is but:

Apparently the Flames recently (i.e. within the last three weeks) ordered jersey nameplates for Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, and two other guys (who I believe are college free agents). Obviously nothing official, but it looks like the Flames expect JG (and Arnold) will be donning Flames sweaters at some point in the near future...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad