Player Discussion Johnny Gaudreau is really small

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
With how well the Flames are playing this year and him not just stirring but SHAKING the damn drink, it's hard not to give him the Hart for sure.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Johnny's stat line this year - if continued as projected - puts him in the conversation for a number of individual awards;

Hart
Art Ross
Ted Lindsay
Lady Byng - his 10 pims makes him a favorite to win his second LB

The interesting one is the Selke?> hes a +39 and leads the league in the stat category, with Lindholm 2nd at +37

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I always wonder how tall Johnny ACTUALLY is. He’s listed at 5’9 but most people know that’s a lie. When I met him he was sitting down but I know someone who met him and said he couldn’t have been any taller than 5’6

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I remember when many said Sven would be a better player. I remember.

If you listened to HFBoards from like 2011-2014, you'd think that Johnny would have died entering the league.

The goalposts with this dude were absolutely incredible.
  1. I mean his USHL stats were good, but look at what he did in the playoffs. He won't be able to compete against college D.
  2. Yeah he had a good season in college, but Chris Kreider was the better player on that team. Let's see how he does as the main guy next year.
  3. Lol. Okay, but that's just college level defence. He'll never be able to do this against NHL defenders.
  4. Okay, whatever, he's like the best college player, but he's also almost a senior. He won't be able to make the transition to the NHL.
  5. Well, he should probably go to the AHL because he's too small, NHL defenders will kill him.
  6. Oh, okay, well he had a good season but I mean, he was 4th in Calder voting, and he's older, so he's not that impressive. He won't be able to last long in the league.
  7. Well, he's like a ~PPG player in the NHL, BUT he can't do anything in the playoffs... so he's not that great of a player.

Like, it's insane how many people were rooting against this guy on this forum. Mostly driven out of the backwoods North of here, but still, the goalposts move for the guy every year or two. I really hope we have a long deep run where he just goes insane in the playoffs; like 1.25PPG.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah, that's been obvious for a while. Johnny's repeatedly said he wants to stay. His mother, the same one that didn't want him to leave college early to sign with the Flames, is now openly supporting him signing an eight year deal. And his fiance (wife?) allegedly moved to Calgary to find work.

Unless the whole pause on contract talks is a smokescreen, they'll get it done after the playoffs.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
I always wonder how tall Johnny ACTUALLY is. He’s listed at 5’9 but most people know that’s a lie. When I met him he was sitting down but I know someone who met him and said he couldn’t have been any taller than 5’6

I met him during the Young Stars tournament in Penticton back in 2016. I am proudly *ahem* a shade under 5'7 and he was a few inches taller so 5'9 I think is very accurate. I was honestly expecting him to be my height at first as most people thought but he is indeed as tall as his listed height. It's easy to forget how monstrous some NHLers are so when Johnny is lining up beside them he looks like a bantam player.

Reactions: BRobMint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad