Johnny Gaudreau ejected for arguing embellishment call

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Dammit I don't like this, but I'm going to have to side with crying Johnny on this one.

Getting that stick too the neck is going to make you flinch. If it was in the throat it wouldn't take a very hard shot to really impede your breathing.

No matter Gaudreau's history, no way this should have been called a embellishment penalty against him.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Right, because athletes never have heated moments late in a game when every little thing matters.....
Self control is easily achievable and it seems like people in sports have very little of it. I'd like to scream around at work too. I don't

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The number of people in this thread thinking a player should be able to scream an official down without punishment staggers me.

If we change the rule to “arguing with the official is punishable by minor or misconduct... unless the player really feels like it was a bad call...”

Well, god help us all.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I call bull**** on this post. I’ve played for 23 years and I think the opposite is true. I usually don’t even notice slashes and crosschecks until after the game, when I realize I’m either cut or have a bruise.

Obviously being hit with a high stick is a totally different story. Getting hit in the neck sucks, happened to me the other night, I skated through it but my breathing felt impacted the entire night.

You can call bullshit all you want. I played junior and university and and one time while skating to the bench on a stoppage of play a guy crosschecked me to my side as I was skating by and it landed right between my shoulder pads and pants. I was out 8 weeks. I still have a lump on my ribcage today. Sure, I've been crosschecked untold number of times to little or no padding where no injury resulted, but that time it did. So yeah, I don't care what you think lol.

HartAU

Mar 28, 2014
I can see where the referee is coming from - he's skating right at him, he appears to let out a yell as the stick hits him, as well as bring his hand up toward his face, just make sure that the referee saw it. He also stops bringing that hand up towards his face, and I can't help but wonder if that coincided with seeing the referees arm come up and he knew he had the penalty. Certainly not the most egregious embellishment I've seen, but I can see how the combination of the stick not actually hitting him in the face, and his actions to make sure the referee was aware of the high contact could lead to the referee to making the call.

Regardless, the way he acted after the call was beyond embarrassing and unacceptable. And just enhances the reputation.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Of course he embellished. Like someone mentioned previously most players do. He got a pretty weak stick to the chest and flinched his head back and grabbed his face. When you consider the fact that he's a known whiner and diver then it's a no brainer especially considering the way the game was going.

Next time don't be such a little bitch and you won't get tossed.

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
Gaudreau is probably the biggest whiner in the league. He whines almost every second shift. But his reputation for embellishment is complete BS.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The best way to not have a bad call on you due to your reputation as a diver is to not be a diver in the first place. Throwing a mini temper tantrum at the referee isn't exactly an intelligent course of action either.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Getting that stick too the neck is going to make you flinch. If it was in the throat it wouldn't take a very hard shot to really impede your breathing.
yeah, I don't think there can really ever be an embellishment call when there's a stick coming at your face, how can anyone suppress the natural reflex to snap your head away?

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Haha it looked like he was literally crying in the penalty box.

Still, reputation or not that was a BS call. Not really surprised since the officiating is consistently atrocious (for all teams).

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
The best way to not have a bad call on you due to your reputation as a diver is to not be a diver in the first place. Throwing a mini temper tantrum at the referee isn't exactly an intelligent course of action either.
Mcdavid has been pegged with embellishment calls and dived in games, does that make him a disgusting diver? Or is that only a title for others when it fits your narrative?

JG is a whiner, he whines about so many calls/non calls but everyone saying he is a known diver is so out of touch and strangely it comes prominently from oiler fans in here.

Reactions: Calgarybrutalist

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
As if arguing with the ref isn’t going to make the ref change the call.

It is what it is, but just shut your mouth and get on with it. No sympathy at all.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Not really getting your point here...injuries are not absolute. You can get crosschecked in the ribs and not feel it till the next day, and by the same token, you can break your scaphoid after a two-hander to the wrist and pack your **** on your way to the hospital. Hockey injuries are by definition variable

The implication of his post, was that the poster believes players 99% of the time during minor stick infractions, because he’s played and even soft looking stick infractions hurt like hell. I’m saying that’s terrible logic because the majority of the time, it doesn’t hurt.

You’re right that inconsequential looking infractions can cause damage, that doesn’t mean that most of the time players aren’t embellishing in order to draw a call.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
You can call bull**** all you want. I played junior and university and and one time while skating to the bench on a stoppage of play a guy crosschecked me to my side as I was skating by and it landed right between my shoulder pads and pants. I was out 8 weeks. I still have a lump on my ribcage today. Sure, I've been crosschecked untold number of times to little or no padding where no injury resulted, but that time it did. So yeah, I don't care what you think lol.

This only helps prove my point. Why are you using an incredibly small percentage of your experiences to shape your opinion?

You know based on your experience that most stick infractions are hardly noticeable, yet you believe these professional athletes aren’t embellishing 99% of the time.

It’s simple economics; players are incentivized to embellish, therefore they embellish.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He should shut his yap. I agree it wasn’t a dive. But can you blame the officials after all the other flames diving?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The refs have been bad this year, but this is far from one of the most egregious calls. The white stick/white shirt made it very hard to tell where the blade of the stick was at, and JG does have a reputation. In real time I can see where that would be very easy to miss.

That said the misconduct is 100% on Gaudreau. It was painfully obvious long before this occurred that the refs were completely fed up with the antics of Tkachuk and the coach. JG could not have picked a worse time to throw that world class temper tantrum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad