Johnny Gaudreau ejected for arguing embellishment call

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah okay. Let's just take the emotion out of the game, you probably also complain and say hockey players are bland and that there needs to be more colour in the game.

These players are human beings and your expectation level that they can just turn their emotions off and on at whim is silly at best.

Most players don't respond to a bad call in this manner.

Food for thought.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Or, the blade of a skate that almost cut him in the middle of the game? You guys are on the wrong page and arguing over two different things.

Apparently.

But I'm also not sure what one has to do with the other.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Even if the stick didn't hit him in the face, I have no problem with his reaction to a stick coming up into his chest/neck/face area. It doesn't take much to do massive damage to an eye, and the visors don't offer that much protection when a stick is coming up like that. On top of that, I doubt he had a clear view of Comeau's stick, so a somewhat startled reaction is understandable. I definitely agree that it was a really bad call.

But, that doesn't justify treating a ref with disrespect. I'm not saying he wasn't justified in being upset, or that he shouldn't have said something. But, there is a line where it stops being arguing the call and gets into the territory of disrespecting the uniform. If you do that too many times, you can forget about getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Yeah okay. Let's just take the emotion out of the game, you probably also complain and say hockey players are bland and that there needs to be more colour in the game.

These players are human beings and your expectation level that they can just turn their emotions off and on at whim is silly at best.

If you can't behave like a professional, don't turn pro.

I'm surprised you seem to be having so much trouble with this idea. Gaudreau is a professional hockey player. Professional hockey players are held to a certain standard of behavior. He did not live up to his standard.

His actions cost his team by taking him off the ice for the last 10-odd minutes of the game. They were unprofessional both by virtue of being immature, and by reducing his team's chances to win the game which is the goal of a hockey player, especially a professional one.

Why is this a difficult concept?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The embellishment call was weak. I think they tossed him because the flames were frustrated as hell, having given up 4 straight goals, and were chirping the refs. They were looking for a reason.

The game got a little chippy in the last half and everybody was probably feeling it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Oh you know..... maybe it affects your mental state? Last week he lost a couple of teeth from a high stick too.

It adds up. Hockey players are human too.

And so are officials.

I'm not saying he wasn't wrong to be upset with the call, but I don't think the official was wrong to give him a 10.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Throw a tantrum, you get a penalty. I don't know why Flames fans are so shocked. When Doughty does it it's justified but when Johnny hockey does it it's darn not fair!

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Not even a little.

He'll care about what his peers think, and his superiors. Those are the people that matter. At a guess, I think his peers and superiors will say that he messed up on the embellishment and that it happens to everyone. Then I suspect they'll say "Gaudreau was whining a lot, and you put a stop to it. Good job."

I seriously doubt it. They're probably thinking he looked like a little sissy for over reacting to justified criticism. They know he reacted poorly.

Now maybe Gaudreau should have shut up a little bit quicker but to determine it conclusively one way or the other we would need more detailed video on the whole scenario but I was watching the game and the misconduct seemed to come pretty darn quick.

In my last league game I got two 100% total bullpoop calls, after the first one I justifiably laid into the ref but knew when to shut up. On the second one I laid into the other ref a bit but shut up quicker. Hard to think a professional hockey player who has won the Lady Byng wouldn't know to do the same thing.

I think you've posted in the past that you have never played the game so perhaps you should think about that a bit before being so sanctimonious. [pre-apology if it wasn't you who said that]

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
So many people on here commenting about how he embellished. Have you ever taken a stick to the face? Probably not....

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I seriously doubt it. They're probably thinking he looked like a little sissy for over reacting to justified criticism. They know he reacted poorly.

Now maybe Gaudreau should have shut up a little bit quicker but to determine it conclusively one way or the other we would need more detailed video on the whole scenario but I was watching the game and the misconduct seemed to come pretty darn quick.

In my last league game I got two 100% total bullpoop calls, after the first one I justifiably laid into the ref but knew when to shut up. On the second one I laid into the other ref a bit but shut up quicker. Hard to think a professional hockey player who has won the Lady Byng wouldn't know to do the same thing.

I think you've posted in the past that you have never played the game so perhaps you should think about that a bit before being so sanctimonious. [pre-apology if it wasn't you who said that]

Apology not accepted.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
If you can't behave like a professional, don't turn pro.

I'm surprised you seem to be having so much trouble with this idea. Gaudreau is a professional hockey player. Professional hockey players are held to a certain standard of behavior. He did not live up to his standard.

His actions cost his team by taking him off the ice for the last 10-odd minutes of the game. They were unprofessional both by virtue of being immature, and by reducing his team's chances to win the game which is the goal of a hockey player, especially a professional one.

Why is this a difficult concept?

When one is out there on the ice participating in a hockey game these behaviours happen. It's the reality of the game. YW.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
When one is out there on the ice participating in a hockey game these behaviours happen. It's the reality of the game. YW.

And people who behave like that typically get penalized for it.

That's one of the reasons most people don't behave like that. Self control.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Bad penalty, but if you mouth off to the ref, especially after other players have in that same game, you shouldn't be surprised when they respond with a misconduct that is in their power to give. Do what most players have this season, shake your head in disgust, and occasionally take out your frustrations post game.

And he wasn't ejected from the game.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
And people who behave like that typically get penalized for it.

That's one of the reasons most people don't behave like that. Self control.

Read my post.

Do you know the exact specifics?

Do you know for a fact whether or not the referee over reacted?

I was watching the game and the 10 minute was pretty quick.

Maybe it was what he said, I don't know.

I'm also not going to pretend I know either.

If his reaction was pretty typical of how players react to atrocious calls, which it seemed like it was, is there ANY potential in your world that the referee over reacted and not Gaudreau?

Reactions: Mitts

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Read my post.

Do you know the exact specifics?

Do you know for a fact whether or not the referee over reacted?

I was watching the game and the 10 minute was pretty quick.

Maybe it was what he said, I don't know.

I'm also not going to pretend I know either.

If his reaction was pretty typical of how players react to atrocious calls, which it seemed like it was, is there ANY potential in your world that the referee over reacted and not Gaudreau?

Is there any potential?

Yes.

Do I think it's more likely? No, because the difference here is that Gaudreau whining about a call he doesn't like is just part of the game. It happens. We've seen plenty of instances where a player loses his cool, and says something or just keeps saying something, and the ref further penalizes him. That's nothing new, and I think it's something you're more likely to see with a player in his 20's than one in his 30's.

An official just taking it upon himself to throw a 10 misconduct penalty at a player, just because? That's not a common occurrence, or we certainly don't hear about it at this level. That's the kind of thing that could hurt an official's employment. In fact, I think officials at this level are much more likely to just throw back a verbal response, or ignore it outright, and just go right back to the game.

So yes, the official could have overreacted, but I think it's just more likely Gaudreau said something that the official felt crossed a line, and he wasn't having it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad