Johnny Gaudreau ejected for arguing embellishment call

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
So did he get a 2 minute penalty first? I can understand Gaudreau's frustratrion if so, what a horrible call.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Comeau got a penalty for high sticking, but the refs thought Gaudreu reacted in a way that indicated he was hit in the face rather than where he was actually hit, which was in the chest.

Then Gaudreau promptly lost it.

To be honest when I saw the play live, I thought he was embellishing. But when I saw the replay I had my doubts.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Comeau got a penalty for high sticking, but the refs thought Gaudreu reacted in a way that indicated he was hit in the face rather than where he was actually hit, which was in the chest.

Then Gaudreau promptly lost it.

To be honest when I saw the play live, I thought he was embellishing. But when I saw the replay I had my doubts.
He got him right in the chin

Reactions: CF84 and Sk8M8

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Comeau got 2 for high sticking, Gaudreau 2 for embellishment, and he wouldn't shut up about it so they kicked him out.

Because the tape of the stick is white, and he is wearing the Whites, you do not see easily that he was in fact hit on the right side of his face with the blade.

I would be pissed too.

However, these days, you need to know when to stop chirping.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The penalty for embellishment was bad. He might have exaggerated a bit and he has a reputation but it's normal to throw your head back when you get a stick up in your chest. Reflexes.

He got the misconduct for chirping the refs. He probably would have gotten away with it if Tkachuk and the coach hadn't been acting like idiots previously. The refs clearly had enough.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Earlier in the night he also took a skate blade to the jaw on the same side as that stick blade so no shit he reacted the way he did.

Not to mention it's a stick blade coming at your neck, how do you not flinch? He didn't snap his neck back or anything outrageous like we've seen.

Complete horseshit that this was an embelishment penalty. Even bigger joke was getting ejected for arguing this ridiculous penalty. Reffing has been horrific these past two games.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Because the tape of the stick is white, and he is wearing the Whites, you do not see easily that he was in fact hit on the right side of his face with the blade.

I would be pissed too.

However, these days, you need to know when to stop chirping.

Yup. I'd be pissed too but I said it last night, you're the best player on the team, need to learn to keep your cool.

Reactions: SImpelton

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I expected to at least see him throw his head back wildly or something but not only was it a legitimate penalty, he barely even reacted beyond flinching. I'd have argued the **** out of that one too.

Its funny, because having played, I've had broken ribs from a crosscheck that looked completely harmless as the guy skated by me but it landed right between the padding. I've been barely touched in the face too, and with those hard sticks it hurts like a mother-f***er. Most embelishment calls piss me off to no end because whether it's a slash doesn't look like much to the back of the legs or something else, 99% of what happens when a stick is involved hurts like hell or even causes damage. So again, 99% of the time I side with the player and it chafes me to no end when refs think guys are embellishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad