Johnny Gaudreau ejected for arguing embellishment call

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I agree.

The thing is, before Johnny had his hand broken last year with a slash, his hands were being targeted constantly. After his hand healed and he came back the league seemed to crack down for awhile, most of the rest of the season. But then this year I've noticed it again more and more. Constant whacks on the hands. And I'm sure most of the star players get this, but it gets old when it keeps happening and then Johnny's reacting and supposedly getting a reputation. It seems like a no win situation.
McDavid gets obstructed/hooked on a breakaway at least once a game. The NHL is the only league that protects their shit players instead of the stars.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Not the way that I would expect a recent Lady Byng winner to interact with the officials, regardless of how bad the call was.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I hate baseball's standard of ejecting anybody the umpires want because they contested a call... On the other hand star players are given an extra long leash on how childish they behave about a refs decisions.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
McDavid gets obstructed/hooked on a breakaway at least once a game. The NHL is the only league that protects their **** players instead of the stars.

The game against Anaheim where he got hauled down on the breakaway in OT definitely was a penalty. That was one of the worst I've seen, and no call. I have no clue what the ref was watching there. It actually probably deserved a penalty shot.

Reactions: TB12 and CF84

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Haven’t had a problem with the refs all year.

Last night they were down right abysmal though.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Initial call was iffy at best. Gaudreau reacted to a stick hitting him in the neck. It looked like upper chest without a replay so a head flick looked like embellishment.

The refs had been putting up with Tkachuk and their HC's bullshit all night so they had enough when Gaudreau started with them.

State your case but don't bitch and yell from the box.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
He got him right in the chin
That white stick blade is fooling people.

Probably what happened with the ref too, white blade on white uniform had a camouflage effect, he may have thought Gaudreau got it in the shoulder and "sold" it, not seeing that the blade hit him in or near the throat.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Initial call was iffy at best. Gaudreau reacted to a stick hitting him in the neck. It looked like upper chest without a replay so a head flick looked like embellishment.

The refs had been putting up with Tkachuk and their HC's bull**** all night so they had enough when Gaudreau started with them.

State your case but don't ***** and yell from the box.

First I will say I am not a Flames fan.

Second you worded this wrong, in fact the Flames had been putting up with the referees bullpoop all night long. It was atrocious and very one sided.

Also wondering the same thing to you that was asked in post #60.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
The game against Anaheim where he got hauled down on the breakaway in OT definitely was a penalty. That was one of the worst I've seen, and no call. I have no clue what the ref was watching there. It actually probably deserved a penalty shot.
The NHL needs to realize that people tune in to watch guys like McDavid and Gaudreau and not Kevin Bieksa.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Everyone loves when players show some emotion. You know, because they are the attraction fans come to see. Nobody wants to see the refs act on theirs, they should be held to a higher standard in that regard.
Yelling at the ref for them calling a penalty when you’re on top of a guy driving his head into the ice with your elbow is ridiculous

Reactions: Luc Labelle

member 262271

Well, I mean if they call it like they say they are supposed to, no issue here. Too many times stuff goes ignored, practicing "put the whistle away" playoff hockey I guess?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
A player yelling at the ref is no way to "hold the league accountable" so let's cut that silly line of reasoning off.

If you feel a ref has it out for you, deal with it as best you can on the ice and take it up with the coach and/or your union rep after the game. A lot of that stuff is quietly dealt with by back channels and we never hear how it's really resolved, but that doesn't mean nothing is done.

Chirping on the bench is useless, it's not going to reverse the ruling that's already happening and may move the ref towards giving your team even more "gray area" calls... just don't do it. It's never a good idea to abuse the referees, and when you feel they really deserve it it's actually an even worse idea to indulge, because the more capricious and unfair a ref is, the less you want them pissed at specifically you.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A player yelling at the ref is no way to "hold the league accountable" so let's cut that silly line of reasoning off.

If you feel a ref has it out for you, deal with it as best you can on the ice and take it up with the coach and/or your union rep after the game. A lot of that stuff is quietly dealt with by back channels and we never hear how it's really resolved, but that doesn't mean nothing is done.

Chirping on the bench is useless, it's not going to reverse the ruling that's already happening and may move the ref towards giving your team even more "gray area" calls... just don't do it. It's never a good idea to abuse the referees, and when you feel they really deserve it it's actually an even worse idea to indulge, because the more capricious and unfair a ref is, the less you want them pissed at specifically you.

Screw that, they should be publicly mocked.

Everyone knows that ref messed up now. If he would have kept quiet, it would have slipped by unnoticed. A refs own self respect is the best way to keep them consistent. You just know he'll think twice about his calls for the near future.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Screw that, they should be publicly mocked.

Everyone knows that ref messed up now. If he would have kept quiet, it would have slipped by unnoticed. A refs own self respect is the best way to keep them consistent. You just know he'll think twice about his calls for the near future.
I doubt he’ll think twice about his future calls

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
bullshit embellishment call. good for him for giving the refs an earful, i'm sure he's as sick of their inconsistency as the fans are.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I doubt he’ll think twice about his future calls

Then he'll become a laughing stock.

There's zero chance he doesn't regret that call now. Having to overreach with a major because someone was mocking you for a mistake isn't something you want to have happen very often.

That would give me anxiety

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Then he'll become a laughing stock.

There's zero chance he doesn't regret that call now. Having to overreach with a major because someone was mocking you for a mistake isn't something you want to have happen very often.

That would give me anxiety

Referees are already a laughing stock.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
First I will say I am not a Flames fan.

Second you worded this wrong, in fact the Flames had been putting up with the referees bullpoop all night long. It was atrocious and very one sided.

Also wondering the same thing to you that was asked in post #60.

Tkachuk sat like 15 seconds on Rantanen.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

re: the bold = LOL

As for the rest I guess all the players/coaches need to remember to turn on their robot mode switch before the game. Not sure if I've read a more out of touch with reality post today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad