Johnny Gaudreau ejected for arguing embellishment call

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
he was not ejected for embellishment. change the title
From the article.

Gaudreau, after already taking a skate to the throat earlier in the game, was high-sticked in the neck by Blake Comeau, prompting him to flinch (WATCH HERE). For some reason (We’re assuming referees are particularly sensitive to heads snapping back), he was assessed an embellishment penalty. Then, he started arguing the call from the penalty box and the refs threw him out of the game with a 10-minute misconduct.

If you have another source maybe you can post it. Thanks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
From the article.

Gaudreau, after already taking a skate to the throat earlier in the game, was high-sticked in the neck by Blake Comeau, prompting him to flinch (WATCH HERE). For some reason (We’re assuming referees are particularly sensitive to heads snapping back), he was assessed an embellishment penalty. Then, he started arguing the call from the penalty box and the refs threw him out of the game with a 10-minute misconduct.

I already changed the title, because it said "Johnny Gaudreau ejected for embellishment", which isn't as accurate as the new title.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
His whining from last year caught up to him. He's been a lot better this season.

Absolute BS call though and he had every right to lose it on the bench. The refs were terrible all game.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I wish Gaudreau wouldn't have lost it like that, but what are you going to do. What was he doing really? I mean years ago you'd have star players breaking their sticks over the glass.

So basically, the guy is under a microscope. And for some reason the small player can't act out otherwise he's a whiner. Yet shit, a year ago he had his hand broken from a slash and his hands are his bread and butter. So again, meh, give the guy a break. He's still one of the best in the game right now.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
One of the most poorly officiated games I've seen, and I've seen a lot of them. They gave Tanner Glass a penalty earlier for throwing a basic body check.

Johnny had every right to be upset, this is a professional league, you'd expect the people in charge of enforcing the rules to make more good calls than bad. Too many games that is simply not the case.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
One of the most poorly officiated games I've seen, and I've seen a lot of them. They gave Tanner Glass a penalty earlier for throwing a basic body check.

Johnny had every right to be upset, this is a professional league, you'd expect the people in charge of enforcing the rules to make more good calls than bad. Too many games that is simply not the case.
I think they were sick of being yelled at after tkachuk and gully were ripping into them for tkachuks penalty which was pretty clearly a penalty

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He wasn't ejected. He received a 10 min misconduct. Please change the title again until you can get it correct.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
From the article.

he was kicked out for arguing the call.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
definitely the wrong call by the ref but when you have a reputation for embellishment it will happen

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The way players like Gaudreau and McDavid are treated in regards to obstruction and slashing is a travesty. The league should be embarrassed.

I agree.

The thing is, before Johnny had his hand broken last year with a slash, his hands were being targeted constantly. After his hand healed and he came back the league seemed to crack down for awhile, most of the rest of the season. But then this year I've noticed it again more and more. Constant whacks on the hands. And I'm sure most of the star players get this, but it gets old when it keeps happening and then Johnny's reacting and supposedly getting a reputation. It seems like a no win situation.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He wasn't ejected. He received a 10 min misconduct. Please change the title again until you can get it correct.
What's the point here? The title was already talked about by several people. Stop beating a dead horse and post something productive to the topic.

It was a bad call, but bad calls happen all the time. I'd be curious to know what exactly was said to the official, if the line was actually crossed or if it was more just of not letting it go.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think they were sick of being yelled at after tkachuk and gully were ripping into them for tkachuks penalty which was pretty clearly a penalty

Everyone loves when players show some emotion. You know, because they are the attraction fans come to see. Nobody wants to see the refs act on theirs, they should be held to a higher standard in that regard.

Big Erned Nevergivn

May 29, 2015
Calgary AB
I get people who are talking about Gaudreau whining, he did a lot of that his first few years and has gotten a lot better this year. However I don't know where this reputation for embellishment came from... he's had one other embellishment call on a trip, a trip that he didn't even fall down on and continued play.

Reffing is this game was brutal, but the way Gully and Johnny acted as a result was no better. That being said I would have reacted the same if I was in that position.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Refs had been awful for two games in a row.

Calling them f***ing morons was the right call. I would have done exactly the same thing.

Maybe Gully should have been the one to say it but it needed to be said.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What's the point here? The title was already talked about by several people. Stop beating a dead horse and post something productive to the topic.

It was a bad call, but bad calls happen all the time. I'd be curious to know what exactly was said to the official, if the line was actually crossed or if it was more just of not letting it go.
He bitched to the refs and got a misconduct. Seems like the correct call to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad