Johnny Gaudreau controversial shootout goal

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Yet another problem that could be solved with exploding pucks. Adding it to the list between "lack of exploding pucks" and "still no exploding pucks???"

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Neither of those are against the rules. He can skate backwards and he can move away from the net. He can't move away from the red goal line.
You're close. The rule is that he has to move towards the goal line. When he backs away from the net to create enough space to flip the puck over Stalock, neither Gaudreau or the puck are moving towards the goal line. Pretty easy call really, not surprised that they got it wrong either.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You're close. The rule is that he has to move towards the goal line. When he backs away from the net to create enough space to flip the puck over Stalock, neither Gaudreau or the puck are moving towards the goal line. Pretty easy call really, not surprised that they got it wrong either.

You know the net is not the goal line, right?

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I think the shootout rule is dumb, way too subjective. It should be something like do anything you like but it ends when any of:
A) x seconds have passed
B) a shot is taken
C) puck goes behind goal line

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well then I'm confused by your statement. The above view clearly shows the puck continues towards the goal line at all times.
No, it does not. It's a stretch to even say that JG and the puck are moving parallel to the goal line right before he flips the puck over Stalock. But, even parallel to the goal line is against the rule. Like I said before, I'm not surprised that they called it the way they did, but there's nothing in the rules that make that a legal goal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No, it does not. It's a stretch to even say that JG and the puck are moving parallel to the goal line right before he flips the puck over Stalock. But, even parallel to the goal line is against the rule. Like I said before, I'm not surprised that they called it the way they did, but there's nothing in the rules that make that a legal goal.

The puck does continue to move towards the goal line, just barely. I don't think it matters what Gaudreau is doing.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Puck is moving towards the goal line the entire time, except for when Gaudreau goes to shoot, but that happens in every shootout attempt.

Doesn't really matter how Gaudreau is skating as long as the pucks moving forward.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Puck is moving towards the goal line the entire time, except for when Gaudreau goes to shoot, but that happens in every shootout attempt.

Doesn't really matter how Gaudreau is skating as long as the pucks moving forward.

yeah, that's a pretty big exception. :huh: And that does NOT happen in every shootout attempt - just this one. Just before the shot, the puck was definitely not moving forward.

I think the SO rule should be modified to disallow any scored goal if the puck was not obviously moving toward the goal line during the entire SO attempt process. And refs can check replays of course.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
yeah, that's a pretty big exception. :huh: And that does NOT happen in every shootout attempt - just this one. Just before the shot, the puck was definitely not moving forward.

I think the SO rule should be modified to disallow any scored goal if the puck was not obviously moving toward the goal line during the entire SO attempt process. And refs can check replays of course.

A lot of players pull the puck back when they go to shoot.

If they overturned this one for that reason, do they have to overturn every goal where a skater pulls back to take a wrist shot?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I guess toe drags and "The Datsyuk Move" should be illegal since technically the puck would be moving sideways or even slightly backwards.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
A lot of players pull the puck back when they go to shoot.

If they overturned this one for that reason, do they have to overturn every goal where a skater pulls back to take a wrist shot?

Were any of these players skating away from the goal post and parallel with the goal line? No, they were not. :)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Were any of these players skating away from the goal post and parallel with the goal line? No, they were not. :)

Why would that change anything? The puck was still moving forwards as well, barely, but it was.

Should we get a ruler out every time a guy pulls a Forsberg deke and the puck goes slightly backwards?

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I have no idea why people are so desperately arguing that this goal shouldn't count. Why wouldn't you want goals like this in the shootout?

I think its based on the shooter and not the shot.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The forward motion rule is dumb and limits the game and talent.
It's meant to simulate a 1 man breakaway. The forward momentum stops the player messing about and going back into the "defenders". Ideally they'd introduce a 5-6 second shot clock from time they cross the into ozone, but that'd be a nightmare for any league that didn't have high speed video and timing equipment so the forward momentum rule is used (easy because it requires no equipment). They could put a defender on the ice at the blueline behind the shooter and have him chase, then you get issues with false starts. I don't mind that idea, whistle goes and the race is on, th shooter can skate backward with puck if he wants is same rules as a in game breakaway. Teams have to decide which chaser to use, only used once.

Gaudreau goal is fine, there was a little bit forward momentum (99% sideways, 1% forward) but that is still technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad