Johnny Gaudreau controversial shootout goal

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They need to bring back the spin-o-rama. I dunno why this league has a hardon for limiting things that lead to more goals.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
The forward motion rule is dumb and limits the game and talent.

I agree with this. I think so long as the goal would have counted in-game, it should count in the shoot out.

Its not like its a one sided rule change. Both teams shooters would be free to do what they want.

Why try and take away goals like this? It was an awesome Johnny moment.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Gaudreau clearly skates backwards before shooting it, how is this even debatable? I'm not happy with Minnesota getting the win, we had so many chances in the 3rd and OT but didn't bury them. What I am saying it that they still won even with the garbage call. You're a total homer if you think that Gaudreau's SO goal should have counted.
I'm a homer ? LOL, why don't you read my posts on Dennis Wideman then call me a homer. Maybe you don't understand the rules of shootout goals.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The forward motion rule is dumb and limits the game and talent.
not really. otherwise you could have some dude skate in circles waiting for a chance.

maybe there is a better way to deal with that. but there is good reason for it.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I think "technically" it broke the rule, but it isn't the kind of thing the rule was meant to prevent. It's very much in the spirit of the game.

technically it shouldn't count, but it's the kind of thing that should count.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
tbh every shootout goal should count so long as the player (not the puck) maintains a forward motion (including spinoramas) and doesn't run into or interfere with the goaltender

if the NHL is gonna incorporate nonsense rules, then just get rid of it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, the puck was definitely moving away from the net at one point, but that can happen with a lot of moves. If he had started skating away from rather than parallel to the red line then that would be a no goal, correct?

Maybe the thing to do is to have one skater from the other team back on the opposite Red line who starts to skate the moment that the shooter at the center Red line starts. Would keep the shooters honest.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm always amazed how many people don't know the rules or don't bother to look them up when there is a controversial play. The rule doesn't prohibit going backwards, it prohibits anything where the puck isn't being moved towards the opponent's goal line. That would include lateral movement as well, since it wouldn't be progressing toward the goal line.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2017-2018-NHL-rulebook.pdf

This example is really close to violating the rule. It's clear Gaudreau's body is moving parallel to the goal line, but the puck only stops moving for a fraction of a second before he gets the shot off...similar to many other non-controversial moves. For that reason I'd say it's a good goal.

Yet numerous moves involve pulling the puck back away from the net.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Nope. But I generally refuse to side with goalies until we get their "protective" equipment down to a reasonable size so I change my vote to GOOD GOAL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Of all the people to complain about negativity, it's the guy living in a glass house. Your toxicity is well known on these forums, try taking some of your own advice.
I'm just concerned that so many opinions make you sick. It could be the sign of something more serious.

just give them a shot clock to work against and let them do anything they want. I mean, other than pick it up and throw it in or tackle the goalie.
The mental image of a WWE style spear and Jim Ross on PBP screaming "Mah god, he just broke him in half" totally entered my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: rynryn

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gaudreau clearly skates backwards before shooting it, how is this even debatable? I'm not happy with Minnesota getting the win, we had so many chances in the 3rd and OT but didn't bury them. What I am saying it that they still won even with the garbage call. You're a total homer if you think that Gaudreau's SO goal should have counted.
The rule states the puck has to continue moving towards the goal line, not the player. The player can do backflips if they want, so long as the puck continues it's forward movement.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I'm just concerned that so many opinions make you sick. It could be the sign of something more serious.

Well thanks for your concern MM, not all of us are insightful as you, you are a role model poster, often leaving people feeling better after having conversed with you, one day maybe I could reach your lofty perch as the model HF poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad