Johnny Gaudreau controversial shootout goal

vayeate

OZ-13MSX1
Jun 30, 2011
Johnny Gaudreau scored a controversial shootout goal in the Flames/Wild game tonight. Should this shootout goal count? Is the direction of the movement of the puck in reference to the net or the center line?

This shootout goal did not affect the outcome of the game, but I thought this made for an interesting discussion topic.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I immediately thought "eeehhh that's a bit much.." but I don't think it breaks any rules so I guess it's all good. Totally get why the goalie's annoyed though, it's a bit of a BS move.

Reactions: Steven

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
That's borderline, he stops forward motion completely and starts moving to the side for a while though.

Depends how loosely the league wants to enforce that shootout rule. If you go by the book, it's no goal. If you want to be a bit more loose and appeal to the hockey fan, it's a good goal.

For me, it's the latter, as long as he didn't move backwards really it's ok with me.

Reactions: Ligue and Trilliann

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
So far this season I've seen multiple shootout goals scored after the skater moves the puck slightly backwards without any sort of review. They don't really care unless it's blatant I guess.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
its no different than any lateral movement you see in SO goals, only forward motion thing is so stupid and rarely ever enforced

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The rules just state that the puck must be kept in motion towards the goal line. Based on the fact that they need a specific exception for the spin-o-rama, and based on the fact that the "Forsberg" is still allowed, quickly stick-handling parallel to the goal line isn't considered a problem.

And besides that, it's not really against the spirit of things, either. In order for that move to succeed, the player needs to make the goalie commit, have him laying down, but not get in too deep that he can't legally manoeuvre. All the same elements needed in pretty much every deke.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
So far this season I've seen multiple shootout goals scored after the skater moves the puck slightly backwards without any sort of review. They don't really care unless it's blatant I guess.

its not about the puck movement, its about the player movement, player has to go forward all time, puck doesn't.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Hospy

Mar 18, 2013
I thought you have to always be moving towards the net? I guess not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad