Value of: Johnny Gaudreau at the deadline

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Laine landed PLD, I'd say the Sens stole this trade especially long term.

Gaudreau should land a centre with the same potential. I'd throw in a couple other players and land Jack Eichel and get the #1 centre to Calgary over and done with.

Gaudreau and Laine/Dubois are not comparable assets. Laine/Dubois are young players with RFA status and Gaudreau is 1 year away from UFA.

I can see a 3 way like this.

TO PHI: GAUDREAU
TO CGY: EICHEL
TO BUF: MONAHAN, CGY 1ST, RAFFL, PHI 1ST

This improves all 3 clubs. Even with just 1 year left on Johnnys term, giving up just a 1st and Raffl for him is well worth it.

thats pretty crappy for Buffalo, and really good for Calgary/Buffalo. Philly gets Gaudreau for a 1st and Raffl and Calgary gets Eichel for Gaudreau/Monahan/1st?? and all Buffalo has to show for it is Monahan and 2 1sts. you are way off value wise and to be frank i have no idea why Philadelphia is even there lol.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

I'll echo what others have said... I don't think the Flames could get either Byram or Lundell

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
I can see a 3 way like this.

TO PHI: GAUDREAU
TO CGY: EICHEL
TO BUF: MONAHAN, CGY 1ST, RAFFL, PHI 1ST

This improves all 3 clubs. Even with just 1 year left on Johnnys term, giving up just a 1st and Raffl for him is well worth it.
Lol. Are you serious? Two third liners and 2 1sts for Eichel? Lmao. Not even going to mention that Eichel would never play in Calgary.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

umm look at the haul Duchene got for example. Gaudreau is ten times the player Duchene is or was.

how many mediocre players have had career seasons on Gaudreau’s line? The answer is a lot

laine just got Dubois. Gaudreau >>>> Laine
ive seen fans be biased before, but you display straight delusion.

Gaudreau isnt that great.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Buffalo: Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett

To Calgary: 2021 1st, Cozens, Skinner, Okposo

Then Buffalo can overpay to keep Gaudreau, and wind up with another expensive LW making 9 million per

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jake Bean + Jack Drury + 3rd for Gaudreau

Jake Bean has been very good this year in his 5v5 minutes. Plus he has the highest Powerplay P/60 in the NHL with 5 points (4 primary) in 20 minutes and a 100% Individual Points %. Lot of upside there. Similar success to Sergachev in his sheltered minutes early on. He's been good defensively as well.
Drury has been one of the best Center prospects outside of the NHL this year. Vaxjo (SHL) has loved him.

Reactions: CraigsList

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Johnny wanting to move East is bullshit, if that is his priority he didn’t have to sign with the flames coming out of college

That said it may be happening now as the Flames is totally crap, he probably wants to leave, period

who cares what he wants lol, he has no trade protection. If the GM thinks he can make the team better by trading him, he is gone. I am starting to like the sound of it tbh

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s going to be funny when Gaudreau gets traded, becomes the best player on his new team. I can see HF now “why did Calgary trade this guy he’s a legit superstar?” or more likely “Gaudreau finally realizes potential after leaving the Flames”

clueless as ever HF

Reactions: Traptor

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It’s going to be funny when Gaudreau gets traded, becomes the best player on his new team. I can see HF now “why did Calgary trade this guy he’s a legit superstar?” or more likely “Gaudreau finally realizes potential after leaving the Flames”

clueless as ever HF
we are discussing a players value not predicting the future.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jake Bean + Jack Drury + 3rd for Gaudreau

Jake Bean has been very good this year in his 5v5 minutes. Plus he has the highest Powerplay P/60 in the NHL with 5 points (4 primary) in 20 minutes and a 100% Individual Points %. Lot of upside there. Similar success to Sergachev in his sheltered minutes early on. He's been good defensively as well.
Drury has been one of the best Center prospects outside of the NHL this year. Vaxjo (SHL) has loved him.

That’s a solid offer. I would ask for a 2022 2nd instead of a 3rd, as well as wondering if we need to take salary back while we send a project prospect in return?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
we are discussing a players value not predicting the future.

actually funny you say that, I said the exact thing about TJ Brodie when we traded him. Obviously to a lesser extent because he’s not a JG caliber talent. on HF people said his contract was a dump. In reality he’s a top pair defenceman.

Johnny is a top tier talent. Why is he not scoring at a prolific rate? Sam Bennett and Nick Richie are replacement level players and Monahan is either cooked or severely injured.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That’s a solid offer. I would ask for a 2022 2nd instead of a 3rd, as well as wondering if we need to take salary back while we send a project prospect in return?

I think the Canes have the space to do this without sending salary back, but potentially Paquette could go back (pending UFA @ $1.65 million). I doubt Calgary wants Gardiner who is injured. The pick portion is malleable. Sending a 2nd and getting a 4th back is similar enough. Especially for this Draft.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Bean isn't expansion exempt so Calgary basically would be forced protect 4 defense here. Personally my counter would be Drury, Jarvis and their 1st.

Jarvis is untouchable. I don't think the Canes would trade him alone for Gaudreau. His ELC years line up with the Canes Cup window too well.

I should have mentioned that though. Bean does need to be protected.

Reactions: CatchyTune

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Canes have the space to do this without sending salary back, but potentially Paquette could go back (pending UFA @ $1.65 million). I doubt Calgary wants Gardiner who is injured. The pick portion is malleable. Sending a 2nd and getting a 4th back is similar enough. Especially for this Draft.

Hmm, maybe a 5th going your way then. Minor details.

it’s a good proposal for sure. Hows Geekie? Where does he rank in your prospects?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
actually funny you say that, I said the exact thing about TJ Brodie when we traded him. Obviously to a lesser extent because he’s not a JG caliber talent. on HF people said his contract was a dump. In reality he’s a top pair defenceman.

Johnny is a top tier talent. Why is he not scoring at a prolific rate? Sam Bennett and Nick Richie are replacement level players and Monahan is either cooked or severely injured.

When did Brodie get traded?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hmm, maybe a 5th going your way then. Minor details.

it’s a good proposal for sure. Hows Geekie? Where does he rank in your prospects?

In our board's preseason prospect rankings I had him at #7 below Jarvis, Bean, Rees, Suzuki, Gunler, and Bokk. But Drury has passed him on upside IMO. I think The Athletic had him at 10 or so.

I see Geekie becoming a very good bottom-6 Center who is useful on the PP2 as a guy who creates havoc in front of the net. His best attribute is his compete. When he's on the ice he is usually going 100%. If he has top-6 upside it will come with time. He has tons of talent (4 goals and 5 points in 2 AHL games this year) but he's playing more conservative for Brind'Amour as that is his role on the 4th line.

As for value I'd guess Geekie is the equivalent of a late 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Reactions: CraigsList

Ledge And Dairy

Jarvis is untouchable. I don't think the Canes would trade him alone for Gaudreau. His ELC years line up with the Canes Cup window too well.

I should have mentioned that though. Bean does need to be protected.
Jarvis is a nice prospect and all but implying he has more value than 2 cup runs with Gaudreau is blatantly wrong. If Carolina were to consider Gaudreau as a difference maker for their window they would easily pull the trigger on a 1 for 1

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jarvis is a nice prospect and all but implying he has more value than 2 cup runs with Gaudreau is blatantly wrong. If Carolina were to consider Gaudreau as a difference maker for their window they would easily pull the trigger on a 1 for 1

I don't think that you would find one Canes fan that agrees with that. Not sure what neutral fans think.

Jarvis for 3 years of ELC + 4 extra years of team control during the Canes Cup window >> Gaudreau for 1 full run and one partial run as he adjusts to the team

I wouldn't have made that deal before Jarvis led the AHL in scoring as an 18 year old. No chance now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad