Value of: Johnny Gaudreau at the deadline

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think most agree that the Flames need to tear it down. He's got one more year left on a 6.75M contract. A lot of folks think it makes sense to wait until the off-season, but I think you get a lot more for him if you sell now, as potential buyers would have him for 2 playoff runs.

IMO he would absolutely thrive on a team with at least one true #1C, as he's never had that luxury. It's also likely he looks to move back east when be becomes a UFA, so east coast teams might value him more if they think they can extend him.

Teams that I think should be the most interested:

Pittsburgh
Boston
NYI

Who else? What should the flames be expecting in return if they try to move him at the deadline?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny wanting to move East is bullshit, if that is his priority he didn’t have to sign with the flames coming out of college

That said it may be happening now as the Flames is totally crap, he probably wants to leave, period

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny wanting to move East is bullshit, if that is his priority he didn’t have to sign with the flames coming out of college

That said it may be happening now as the Flames is totally crap, he probably wants to leave, period

Would you have preferred that? The kid obviously just wanted to play in the NHL, at that point I don't think he was too concerned about where he played.

But you can't fault a player for wanting to eventually play close to home. And the cba affords players that right once they become UFAs

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would you have preferred that? The kid obviously just wanted to play in the NHL, at that point I don't think he was too concerned about where he played.

But you can't fault a player for wanting to eventually play close to home. And the cba affords players that right once they become UFAs
I do not fault him but that is just a rumor

also pretty sure other teams would be happy to have him when he came out of college

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I do not fault him but that is just a rumor

also pretty sure other teams would be happy to have him when he came out of college

But unlike those other teams, Calgary actually took a chance on him, selecting him 104th overall out of the USHL (Round 4). So it's not like NHL clubs were exactly lining up for his services back then.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
But unlike those other teams, Calgary actually took a chance on him, selecting him 104th overall out of the USHL (Round 4). So it's not like NHL clubs were exactly lining up for his services back then.
I don’t think you know anything about Johnny

The Gaudreau that came out of college is not the same guy that was drafted. He has accomplished a lot in those 3-4 years

Similarly, Adam fox was drafted in the 3rd round and see what happened? There were others, Schultz, Vessey, etc

Reactions: Boomstick

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

You're not getting a prospect of that caliber...those do not get traded. Just look at trades for similar or better caliber players and what they returned....(Karlsson, Stone O reilly etc.)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You're not getting a prospect of that caliber...those do not get traded. Just look at trades for similar or better caliber players and what they returned....(Karlsson, Stone etc.)

those guys were UFAs. Big difference

When is the last time a player of Johnny’s caliber was traded?

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think most agree that the Flames need to tear it down. He's got one more year left on a 6.75M contract. A lot of folks think it makes sense to wait until the off-season, but I think you get a lot more for him if you sell now, as potential buyers would have him for 2 playoff runs.

IMO he would absolutely thrive on a team with at least one true #1C, as he's never had that luxury. It's also likely he looks to move back east when be becomes a UFA, so east coast teams might value him more if they think they can extend him.

Teams that I think should be the most interested:

Pittsburgh
Boston
NYI

Who else? What should the flames be expecting in return if they try to move him at the deadline?

Gaudreau is awful. No thanks to this Marner wannabe

Reactions: Eichel9

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
those guys were UFAs. Big difference

When is the last time a player of Johnny’s caliber was traded?

Sorry, I don't know what else you are looking for. prospects like Bowen Byran and Anton Lundell don't get traded for players like Johnny Gaudreau. When you look back at trades (UFA or not) of similar players, it's clear.

Unless you're getting a Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews in a Lindros type deal, it doesn't/won't happen.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sorry, I don't know what else you are looking for. prospects like Bowen Byran and Anton Lundell don't get traded for players like Johnny Gaudreau. When you look back at trades (UFA or not) of similar players, it's clear.

Unless you're getting a Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews in a Lindros type deal, it doesn't/won't happen.

umm look at the haul Duchene got for example. Gaudreau is ten times the player Duchene is or was.

how many mediocre players have had career seasons on Gaudreau’s line? The answer is a lot

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

laine just got Dubois. Gaudreau >>>> Laine

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
umm look at the haul Duchene got for example. Gaudreau is ten times the player Duchene is or was.

how many mediocre players have had career seasons on Gaudreau’s line? The answer is a lot
Duchene had 58 points in 50 games the last time he was traded, plays a more valued position, the cap was going up, and there wasnt the quarentine complications of trading players across the border.

10x the player......lol. Johnnys a lil bitch

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Not really a deadline deal as he still has one year left on his contract. If he is going to be traded it seems more like an offseason type of trade.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense
and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

Straight up lol

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Some other mid-20s star wingers with term who were traded, leaving out pointless throw-ins:
  • Kessel at 6.8+2nd for Kapanen+1st
  • Panarin for Saad
  • Hall for Larsson
Not exactly inspiring returns.

Reactions: OrangePMD

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Love to see Johnny on Horvat’s wing. Flames should keep him. Sutter’s demanding big boy hockey will create more room for Johnny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad