Value of: Johnny Gaudreau at the deadline

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Teams that I think should be the most interested:

Pittsburgh
Boston
NYI

NYI do not have the assets or the cap room next year to deal for a player like that. I assume Calgary would ask for a package that would have to include Sorokin + another major asset (e.g. Wahlstrom or Dobson). I don't see NYI going down that road especially with one of their best skaters (Pelech) requiring a contract next year.

Reactions: CREW99AW

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
All I will say about Gaudreau, and I know HF has never been a fan going back to his Boston College days, or his WJC dominance.

the guy is 10-12th in scoring since he entered the league. The other guys around him are universally considered the best players in the world... and you could make a pretty easy argument that all of those players except Patrick Kane have played with more talent.

then people make fun at him for being poor defensively despite the fact he’s always near the league lead in controlled zone entries and exits (kinda important if you ask me)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
All I will say about Gaudreau, and I know HF has never been a fan going back to his Boston College days, or his WJC dominance.

the guy is 10-12th in scoring since he entered the league. The other guys around him are universally considered the best players in the world... and you could make a pretty easy argument that all of those players except Patrick Kane have played with more talent.

then people make fun at him for being poor defensively despite the fact he’s always near the league lead in controlled zone entries and exits (kinda important if you ask me)

Get out of here with your facts.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
laine just got Dubois. Gaudreau >>>> Laine

Even if Laine is worse than Gaudreau, this is trade value we are talking about, not "better right now". Laine has more years of control, has shown in the past to be a top level sniper, and both players have some glaring faults to their game. I don't think Columbus would have traded Dubois for Gaudreau.

Which brings up my next point. You were talking prospects, then flipped to the Laine/Dubois deal. So which is it? Are the Flames selling Johnny for picks and prospects, or are they looking for a player exchange? Because most of the discussion has been about prospects, but Dubois isn't a prospect, so... yeah.

In terms of prospect value, I'd say a late 1st (because it is the higher end teams that will deal a 1st), a good prospect (but not a blue chipper like Byram or Lundell), and either a 2nd round pick or equivalent prospect. And Calgary probably has to take a junk expiring contract back, or retain salary, which I don't think they ever do, just to make that work. We're going to see that a bit more this year.

Gaudreau being traded at any point before the draft probably won't happen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I do not fault him but that is just a rumor

also pretty sure other teams would be happy to have him when he came out of college
Yeah but he would have had to wait another year and finish out his college career to become a UFA.

But unlike those other teams, Calgary actually took a chance on him, selecting him 104th overall out of the USHL (Round 4). So it's not like NHL clubs were exactly lining up for his services back then.

After his hobey baker campaign? Where he obliterated the NCAA as a junior, with arguably the best offensive collegiate season since Paul Kariya?

Every team in the league would have given him an offer.

Reactions: Boomstick and DFF

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Laine landed PLD, I'd say the Sens stole this trade especially long term.

Gaudreau should land a centre with the same potential. I'd throw in a couple other players and land Jack Eichel and get the #1 centre to Calgary over and done with.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
those guys were UFAs. Big difference

When is the last time a player of Johnny’s caliber was traded?

I'd love to have Johnny on the Flyers. Mostly because I like his game, and it could be a feel good story. But he doesn't really make the Flyers that much better, or any team. He's not a difference maker. You're definitely overrating him.

Best I'd offer would be something around Nolan Patrick.

Reactions: Devonator

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
After his hobey baker campaign? Where he obliterated the NCAA as a junior, with arguably the best offensive collegiate season since Paul Kariya?

Every team in the league would have given him an offer.

Obviously. Sorry if my post was confusing- but I wasn’t at all arguing otherwise.

Just that Calgary took a chance early, (when other teams passed on him) - and therefore had the opportunity to actually sign him.

Of course 30 teams would have chased him after his honey baker season. But that wasn’t a possibility.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
When Gaudreau is traded it'll be for significantly less than people think. See the Hall and Kessel trades.

Calgary are not getting a Lindell/Byram prospect.

What they need to do is target a Carolina, NJ, Philly etc that are on the up swing and have some young prospects to move.

Reactions: Devonator

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd love to have Johnny on the Flyers. Mostly because I like his game, and it could be a feel good story. But he doesn't really make the Flyers that much better, or any team. He's not a difference maker. You're definitely overrating him.

Best I'd offer would be something around Nolan Patrick.

He's definitely been a difference maker for Sean Monahan lol.

He led the Flames to first in the West, and finished 4th in Hart voting just 2 years ago. And he did this while being centered by one of the worst "first line" centers in the league.

He would instantly be the Flyers best offensive player.

Reactions: Boomstick

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe his value is being somewhat overrated on here, but Johnny’s abilities will ALWAYS be underrated around here. Never gets the respect the guy deserves.

He’s carried the Flames’ offense for the majority of his career. Put him on a team that utilizes speed (rather than dump and chase) and you’ve got yourself a perfect 1st liner or super elite 2nd liner (kind of like Kessel in Pittsburgh). If he knows he isn’t the only one that has to be relied upon, his numbers will go up.

Reactions: Boomstick

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
You’re dreaming if you think they’re going to get a Byram or Lundell back. More than likely it’s more of a “hockey trade”. Flames just signed Sutter for 3years, they’re not going into a rebuild.
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Some other mid-20s star wingers with term who were traded, leaving out pointless throw-ins:
  • Kessel at 6.8+2nd for Kapanen+1st
  • Panarin for Saad
  • Hall for Larsson
Not exactly inspiring returns.
This is probably in the ball park of what to expect. We have a new arena in the works and I don't see ownership approving a full scale rebuild. Using the Kessel trade as a base, I I'd want a younger roster player, with a bit of runway left and a pick. The pick will fluctuate depending on the caliber of the younger player.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade

As an Avs fan, I'd much rather keep the 19 year old with 1D potential and 2 ELC years left, rather than trade him for 1+ year of Gaudreau.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Laine landed PLD, I'd say the Sens stole this trade especially long term.

Gaudreau should land a centre with the same potential. I'd throw in a couple other players and land Jack Eichel and get the #1 centre to Calgary over and done with.

Are we just forgetting about Roslovic in the trade as well? The same Roslovic that has a higher points per game average than Johnny this year?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What about Newhook if we took back Compher?

Still don't really see the point for the Avs. We currently have 5 wings scoring at 0.63 PPG or higher, and are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league. The Avs need youngsters to reload the roster in a couple of years more than we need Gaudreau.

Reactions: Chevx

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
His cap hit is pretty cheap for a player who could put up 100 points in the right situation

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
He's going to be a lot better almost anywhere else he goes than he's been with us the last two years IMO.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can see a 3 way like this.

TO PHI: GAUDREAU
TO CGY: EICHEL
TO BUF: MONAHAN, CGY 1ST, RAFFL, PHI 1ST

This improves all 3 clubs. Even with just 1 year left on Johnnys term, giving up just a 1st and Raffl for him is well worth it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Still don't really see the point for the Avs. We currently have 5 wings scoring at 0.63 PPG or higher, and are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league. The Avs need youngsters to reload the roster in a couple of years more than we need Gaudreau.

That’s fair. Just think Gaudreau would be best suited on a team as dangerous as the Avs, and wouldn’t be a rental. Would at least have him for two years. Imagine what Gaudreau could do on the top 6 when your lines are Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen and Gaudreau - Kadri - Burakovsky. I know there is Saad but he could also be of use as a middle 6 winger and be used in various situations.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That’s fair. Just think Gaudreau would be best suited on a team as dangerous as the Avs, and wouldn’t be a rental. Would at least have him for two years. Imagine what Gaudreau could do on the top 6 when your lines are Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen and Gaudreau - Kadri - Burakovsky. I know there is Saad but he could also be of use as a middle 6 winger and be used in various situations.

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade on that 2nd line, and would be another weapon on the PP, but I just don't think the upgrade is worth the long term cost. I think the Avs are poised for a long run of contending for the Cup, and guys like Newhook and Byram are important pieces towards making that happen. And I want 10+ years of contending more than I want a slightly better chance for the next 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad