johnny gaudreau 55 flex

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
How tall are you and what do you weigh? Odds are thats far to stiff unless you are 6'2 and 230+

I'm 5'11 165. Don't you think I would be the best judge of what is too stiff or not too stiff for me? I've used the whole spectrum of flexes starting with my first composite stick, a 50 flex Easton Synergy when I was a little kid, 75's, 85's, up to the 105's that I use today. And I use what feels best for me.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah the moral of the story really is that everyone just needs to try a bunch of different sticks, lengths, and flexes over time in order to find out what works best for them. It's all trial and error, and is something that could also change over time.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm 5'11 165. Don't you think I would be the best judge of what is too stiff or not too stiff for me? I've used the whole spectrum of flexes starting with my first composite stick, a 50 flex Easton Synergy when I was a little kid, 75's, 85's, up to the 105's that I use today. And I use what feels best for me.

Most people aren't the best judge of what's best for them; that's just the broad generalization of it. A lot of it is rule of thumb followed by experimentation like the above poster mentioned.

If you were to come into my store not knowing too much about sticks/what works best for you, a 105 flex would be an terrible recommendation. However, if you told me that you've experimented around and found that you need 85 flex plus, then that should be the end of that flex discussion, and we move on.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Most people aren't the best judge of what's best for them; that's just the broad generalization of it. A lot of it is rule of thumb followed by experimentation like the above poster mentioned.

If you were to come into my store not knowing too much about sticks/what works best for you, a 105 flex would be an terrible recommendation. However, if you told me that you've experimented around and found that you need 85 flex plus, then that should be the end of that flex discussion, and we move on.

yeah but he replied specifically to me, an individual person on a hockey related forum, not an nonspecific statistical consumer.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

You got strangely offended by this, but yes, it could it be the right stick for you Sure, but thing about being 5'11, 165lbs points that way. So many people are afraid of not manning up and getting a 100+ flex. I am 1" and 20 lbs heavier than you and use a 75 flex, slightly cut down. I have never had a better shot, and only go through about a stick per season.

Just saying, don't be afraid to experiment with lighter flexs, theres a good chance you could have a better release and harder shot, but will take time to get used to. Heck, Eastons chart (not the end all be all) would have you around an 85 flex.

But again, I am not you, I am not there to see your shot, but more flex is rarely a bad thing.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I mean I get that everyone has a different preference, but why are people so wary of a low flex stick? If Johnny Gaudreau think it's okay to use, then who are we to argue? I'm sure he's better at hockey than all of us combined.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I mean I get that everyone has a different preference, but why are people so wary of a low flex stick? If Johnny Gaudreau think it's okay to use, then who are we to argue? I'm sure he's better at hockey than all of us combined.

Gaudreau is a pretty small dude, so he's the exception and not the rule...

If you want to use a low flex, have at it. I don't see why anyone should care what the next guy is using other than out of curiosity. Like AIREAYE said, it comes down to doing your homework and knowing what works for you. By the same logic, what works for you is not always going to be universal.

I've experimented with 80-120 flex sticks and have gone through different phases based on the position I'm playing, the type of shots I'm taking, the construction of the stick, etc. I've found that balance and shaft length are more universally important to me than my exact flex, which still fluctuates between 85-105. 85-95 seems to be my sweet spot right now, but that's always evolving.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

I can only speak for myself, but before I started making the change to lower flexes, I hated any change in my equipment in general. If a stick broke, there would always be an adjustment period to the new stick, and I'd always fear that I'd lose something in my game because of the differences. What I liked was what I liked.

When I started experimenting, it was generally gradual step down, from seniors sticks to intermediates and eventually to juniors. But while I was using intermediates, I did try going from around 70flex right down to a junior 50flex.

When I shot using the junior, it felt too whippy and the blade would open up and I'd flub the shot, especially the slapshot. I gave it about 20-30 shots then gave up. Nope too different from what I was used to.

It took me until I started to study shot mechanics and really started working on my shot before I gave juniors another chance. I committed to the change and it's worked out for me.

I'm pretty picky about what I like now in a stick, but at the same time, after refining my mechanics, I find as long as things are in the general ballpark, it doesn't matter what stick I use. I can adjust to it pretty quickly. No more fear of losing something. Any way my 2cents.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Gaudreau is a pretty small dude, so he's the exception and not the rule...

Yes. I'm saying that it's okay that everyone has different preferences. But the people who write off low flex sticks completely are totally baseless as a NHL star can be effective with it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
interesting

He was using a different stick on purpose for the hardest shot comp. Look, this one hardly bends when he goes full power. In a real game, he couldn't hit 100 mph with his usual wet noodle stick.

I could have a harder slapshot if I went from my usual 75-85 flex to a 90-95 flex, but it would be too stiff for me to get a lot of power on wrist shots.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Yes. I'm saying that it's okay that everyone has different preferences. But the people who write off low flex sticks completely are totally baseless as a NHL star can be effective with it.

It is definitely OK that everyone has different preferences... But what I was trying to say is that Johnny Hockey probably would not be using such a low flex if he wasn't such a small guy. Much smaller than most NHLers. So the fact that he effectively uses a low-flex stick is more the exception than the rule.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It is definitely OK that everyone has different preferences... But what I was trying to say is that Johnny Hockey probably would not be using such a low flex if he wasn't such a small guy. Much smaller than most NHLers. So the fact that he effectively uses a low-flex stick is more the exception than the rule.

The fact that he is a winger is a big factor, too.

Brett Hull and Phil Kessel played and play with very whippy sticks, as well.

But, you won't see a center playing with a super low flex stick because it would hurt them on faceoffs and most D won't want that much whip, either.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The fact that he is a winger is a big factor, too.

Brett Hull and Phil Kessel played and play with very whippy sticks, as well.

But, you won't see a center playing with a super low flex stick because it would hurt them on faceoffs and most D won't want that much whip, either.

I'm a center and use a 75 flex. I win most of my draws, the flex hasn't changed that at all.

People make so many excuses as to why they need a stiffer flex. It's a weird meathead mentality. 100 Flex most likely hurts more than it helps. Bit of a tip, no one cares how stiff your stick it, but they will care how well you can shoot. It feels weird at first, but once you have control of the whip, it will help your shot. The excuse you will break them with a slapshot is incorrect. I take 2-3 per game and it hasn't hurt or broken a stick, if anything it helped with velocity.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He was using a different stick on purpose for the hardest shot comp. Look, this one hardly bends when he goes full power. In a real game, he couldn't hit 100 mph with his usual wet noodle stick.

I could have a harder slapshot if I went from my usual 75-85 flex to a 90-95 flex, but it would be too stiff for me to get a lot of power on wrist shots.

Do you have proof of this? It mentioned nothing in the video.

I had an 85 and dropped to a 75 and got more velocity in all of my shots, just took a game or 2 to get the accuracy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm a center and use a 75 flex. I win most of my draws, the flex hasn't changed that at all.

People make so many excuses as to why they need a stiffer flex. It's a weird meathead mentality. 100 Flex most likely hurts more than it helps. Bit of a tip, no one cares how stiff your stick it, but they will care how well you can shoot. It feels weird at first, but once you have control of the whip, it will help your shot. The excuse you will break them with a slapshot is incorrect. I take 2-3 per game and it hasn't hurt or broken a stick, if anything it helped with velocity.

There is a big difference in a 75 flex and a 55 flex.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There is a big difference in a 75 flex and a 55 flex.

Oh I agree. I'm not saying I would ever have the skill to use a 55, might never hit the net. I'm just making he point that many think they need 95 or 100 flex or they will break them/have a harder shot . You can only get a harder shot if you are able to flex the stick properly. Most guys unless they are very heavy or very tall can flex 100 to proper efficiency

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I play center with a junior stick 40 and 50 flex, and I don't have any trouble with draws. With the draw, strong and weak side, I usually choke up so there's only 6-8 inches between my bottom hand and the ice, so the flex doesn't really factor in on if I win the draw or not.

If I'm quicker than the other center, then the sticks never touch. If our sticks lock, 12 inches of shaft won't flex, no matter if it's junior or senior. And that sounded a lot dirtier than I wanted it to sound. :p

In the years I've been using junior sticks, I've never broken one. I play twice a week in leagues, where hack-hack-hack isn't uncommon. I'm 180lbs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do you have proof of this? It mentioned nothing in the video.

I had an 85 and dropped to a 75 and got more velocity in all of my shots, just took a game or 2 to get the accuracy.

It's visible. Look at this video, he's taking a slapshot at full power and the stick only bends 2-3 inches.

Now, just ask the Penguins fans what happens when Kessel takes a one-timer in a game. His stick just bends far too much under him and it completely messes up his shot. You will almost never see Kessel take a one-timer in game, unless he has to get the puck on net as fast as possible.

Also, using a 75 flex for you or me isn't the same thing as Kessel using a 75 flex. He's far stronger and heavier than me, he can bend that thing without having to actually lean on it.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
I play center with a junior stick 40 and 50 flex, and I don't have any trouble with draws. With the draw, strong and weak side, I usually choke up so there's only 6-8 inches between my bottom hand and the ice, so the flex doesn't really factor in on if I win the draw or not.

If I'm quicker than the other center, then the sticks never touch. If our sticks lock, 12 inches of shaft won't flex, no matter if it's junior or senior. And that sounded a lot dirtier than I wanted it to sound. :p

In the years I've been using junior sticks, I've never broken one. I play twice a week in leagues, where hack-hack-hack isn't uncommon. I'm 180lbs.

how on earth do you use a junior stick :rant::rant::amazed::amazed:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
how on earth do you use a junior stick :rant::rant::amazed::amazed:

For the most part, it's like any other stick. Some of the specs fit you just right. The other specs you get use to. To flips things around for a bit of fun, how does anyone my size 5'5 180lbs use anything over a 65flex? :p To me, it feels so gosh darn stiff. ;)

When I shoot, it feels like firing a slingshot, and i don't get that feel with the higher flexes. It may not be the hardest shot in the world--it never was even with higher flex sticks---but now I can get it off fast and accurate.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It's visible. Look at this video, he's taking a slapshot at full power and the stick only bends 2-3 inches.

Now, just ask the Penguins fans what happens when Kessel takes a one-timer in a game. His stick just bends far too much under him and it completely messes up his shot. You will almost never see Kessel take a one-timer in game, unless he has to get the puck on net as fast as possible.

Also, using a 75 flex for you or me isn't the same thing as Kessel using a 75 flex. He's far stronger and heavier than me, he can bend that thing without having to actually lean on it.

So you have no proof. OK

As a Leaf fan I've watched far more Kessel than any penguin fan, so I know exactly what happens when he takes one

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
This is a good thread.
I been using a 65 flex stick past two months and lovin it
Prior to this I was using 85 and higher and bought one on a whim cause I had to use a 2 for 1 hockey stick sale
Anyway I too find there was an adjustments period but my one timers(clappers) are solid and wrist shots are more powerful
The slap shots not as hard but still have decent velocity
The snapper took a bit of adjustment as I was often wide and need to angle my body more forward than sideways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad