johnny gaudreau 55 flex

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I use intermediate sticks and cut about an inch off, so they're usually somewhere between 55-65. 55 is a little too whippy for me but once I cut it, it's great.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
As someone who uses 105 I can't even fathom trying to take a slapshot with this stick.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not a big guy by any means, (6' 160 lbs), but I'm way too tall to be using an intermediate stick. 70/75/80/85 flexes in senior length are perfect.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
My 12yo has an Intermediate stick that has less flex than that.

:laugh:

A 75 flex is the whippiest stock Warrior you can get.

You mean in SR flexes right? They do have Intermediate and Junior sticks...

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I am 5'9" 185# and my wrist shot improve a bunch switching from a 75 senior to a 55 intermediate flex (w/ a ~1.25" extension). Slappers not so much, but I like the whippier sticks quite a bit better in general. It may come own to technique (both for me and them), but I do notice a lot of the guys I play with (mostly taller/heavier) can't load their stiffer sticks enough to get the velocity I do.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
I'm 6'2", 175lbs and I use an intermediate 60 flex with an extension. My game has improved significantly since I started using whippy sticks like this.

It's true, they're not great for slap shots. But I can get a decent slapper off from the blue line and still hit the top corners.

The higher flex will greatly improve wrist and snap shots, especially the release delay. If you like to take Phil Kessel style snap shots, in stride, off the inside foot, a more flexible stick is a must.

I also find the higher flex helps with feel for stickhandling and passing. Especially for catching hard passes. It takes a bit of practice because the spring in the stick can also cause passes to bounce away. But once you get a feel for it, you can use the whip to absorb the energy on hard passes.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I'm 6'2", 175lbs and I use an intermediate 60 flex with an extension. My game has improved significantly since I started using whippy sticks like this.

It's true, they're not great for slap shots. But I can get a decent slapper off from the blue line and still hit the top corners.

The higher flex will greatly improve wrist and snap shots, especially the release delay. If you like to take Phil Kessel style snap shots, in stride, off the inside foot, a more flexible stick is a must.

I also find the higher flex helps with feel for stickhandling and passing. Especially for catching hard passes. It takes a bit of practice because the spring in the stick can also cause passes to bounce away. But once you get a feel for it, you can use the whip to absorb the energy on hard passes.

Damn....hope everybody is ducking or bailing out of the way! :laugh:

I'm 5'8"ish, about 190 (about 10-15 lbs more than I should be :cry: ) and the best stick I had flex-wise was a Ryan Shannon pro stock - 82 flex Bauer. I always found 85 flex sticks really almost were too stiff after they are cut. But I do find the 75/77 flex to be perfect. I could never go to an intermediate flex - plus the stick is too narrow. Flexing a 55 though..... would be like playing with a wet noodle.

Shooting is 95% technique. I find it humours that there are people I know (well, at least have skated with over the years) that think no matter how poor their technique/ability if they get the best stick around they are magically going to be a great shooter. (Note - I am not saying that is applies to this thread - was just stating an example)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Keep in mind he's so short that once he cuts it down it's probably a 75 flex.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Damn....hope everybody is ducking or bailing out of the way! :laugh:

I'm 5'8"ish, about 190 (about 10-15 lbs more than I should be :cry: ) and the best stick I had flex-wise was a Ryan Shannon pro stock - 82 flex Bauer. I always found 85 flex sticks really almost were too stiff after they are cut. But I do find the 75/77 flex to be perfect. I could never go to an intermediate flex - plus the stick is too narrow. Flexing a 55 though..... would be like playing with a wet noodle.

Shooting is 95% technique. I find it humours that there are people I know (well, at least have skated with over the years) that think no matter how poor their technique/ability if they get the best stick around they are magically going to be a great shooter. (Note - I am not saying that is applies to this thread - was just stating an example)

I'd be careful for my head, with that low of a flex it's probably reaching head height and on its way down into the top corner :sarcasm:

I'm 6'0" (thought I was 5'11", damn) and 128 lbs., very little upper body/wrist strength, and use a 67 flex INT stick. It feels about right, but it's a little stiff for quick releases on wristers. I have to take half a second or so to get some flex into the shaft, but I think the puck reaches the net (or more often, the goalie's chest pad :laugh:) faster than if I were to attempt a quick release and get basically no power into the shot.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I used a 55 flex Dynasty and 70 flex Widow at the same time and didn't notice a difference in flex. I'm the same size as Gaudreau too.

I'm using a 87 flex APX2 now but never felt like I was going to snap the Dynasty when I used it.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
So I'm 5'7 130lbs and I also use a 55 flex Warrior stick (dynasty AX2). I love it! I played around with a 85 flex Easton and my shot definitely loses some zip. Also I feel like I have way better puck feel on the warrior stick, but that just might be differences in sticks.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
So I'm 5'7 130lbs and I also use a 55 flex Warrior stick (dynasty AX2). I love it! I played around with a 85 flex Easton and my shot definitely loses some zip. Also I feel like I have way better puck feel on the warrior stick, but that just might be differences in sticks.

Yeah the first thing I noticed when I started using flex in this range was how much better my velocity was on wrist and snap shots. Stickhandling was a little weird at first, but after I cut an inch or so off, it reached that happy medium.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
can't wait for the beer league try hards to adopt this trend and start snapping sticks every other week

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I always thought the general rule was to use a flex that is approx 1/2 your body weight.

Remember too, it's not just how much you make the stick flex, it's how you make the stick flex. Plus, with all the different flex points now-a-days....mid kick point, low kick point - I believe Bauer (I think it was) had/has a stick with 2 kick points.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I always thought the general rule was to use a flex that is approx 1/2 your body weight.

Remember too, it's not just how much you make the stick flex, it's how you make the stick flex. Plus, with all the different flex points now-a-days....mid kick point, low kick point - I believe Bauer (I think it was) had/has a stick with 2 kick points.

The Bauer Vapor sticks from the X60 to the APX 2 had this dual kick point technology. They ditched it on the upgrade to the 1X, they went back to a single low kick point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad