Johnny Boychuk suffers career ending eye injury

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Lou is so smart for having a freak injury save him from cap hell, why don't more GMs have their albatross contracts suffer freak injuries?

yea, exactly! it just so happens that he cant sign barzal without this ltir, and it just so happens the player said he felt great, and it just so happens he literally already came back and played 15 mins a night against the stanley cup champions and was a plus player! but he can’t play! injuries! WELL, what a coincidence.

to be clear, i wish the guy & his family nothing but the best, but make no mistake, if they didn’t have to sign barzal, he’d be playing next season.

Reactions: Klondiker98

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Revisited the Matheson hit since he mentions that he didn't see it coming and... well I don't know how he couldn't see that coming if his eyes were working properly.

Reactions: MaWa

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hickey would likely be the guy the Kraken take from the Islanders, unless Varlamov becomes available then it might raise eyebrows.

But Boychuk I believe had a few years left in him if it weren't for the eye injury. Other than that he had a very good career and wish him the best. Best he joins the Islanders as a scout or player advisor.

Hickey is done, he's one hit and resulting concussion away from retirement. Don't see Seattle having any interest in him TBH.

The Isles will expose a couple of forwards and save more cap that will go towards Pelech or Beauvillier. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield get protected while Dobson is exempt. Maybe Leddy gets taken, but he will be a pending UFA in 2022-23. Eberle or Bailey could be the most attractive assets for Seattle to choose.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The guy was a warrior. Hopefully he stays around and coaches in Bridgeport and helps develop the young talent.
I would also like to see him stay in the organization in some capacity,but wouldn't he have to officially retire to take a coaching job in the organization?

Kind of hard to see him leaving millions on the table by retiring with 2 yrs/$5.25m left on his deal.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
To the Tin Foil Brigade, what is it specifically about Johnny Boychuk that makes you think he'd stop playing if he didn't have to?

The guy's a warrior, and I'm guessing most of the doubters here wouldn't play through a hangnail. :shakehead

Well if he was a ranger or leaf he would be applauded for his courage obv

Reactions: Axe Man

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would also like to see him stay in the organization in some capacity,but wouldn't he have to officially retire to take a coaching job in the organization?

Kind of hard to see him leaving millions on the table by retiring with 2 yrs/$5.25m left on his deal.

For the Islanders sake better he doesn't retire since their will be a recapture penalty(I believe like 2M a season, it might even be higher since he got his 2.75M bonus already)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Haha... Lou probably keeps Marleau and the 1st and if he traded Kadri, he would be left with more than Kerfoot a year later... probably gets a young legit RD in that trade too! Lou could have very well traded Johnson and Kapanen a year early instead of Marleau and you have all your 1st round picks plus the one you got for Kapanen. Leafs are in danger or ruining good years of their young core with Dubas messing around with things.

Sorry but Lou > Dubas. You can't criticize Lou cause he was not kept around to find out what he would have done different. Lou probably handles the Marner and Matthews contract a bit better too!
His track record for d-men the whole time he was in Toronto was Zaitsev, Hainsey, Holl and you somehow think he lands a young legit RHD?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Ok. But don’t see where you’re going with that here.

He played three total games months after a major injury to the face/eye. The first period of the first game back he received a concussion (from a hit that he conceivably failed to pickup due to vision complications)

He claims he tried to cover up that he wasn’t feeling right after the injury... not entirely unexpected from a player everyone is lauding as having a warrior mentality.

He still has a signing bonus to be paid out. So you’re point doesn’t fit there either.

Signing bonus has already been paid out for this upcoming season, TSN article mentioned that I believe.

He is only walking away from his 1.5M salary this year and whatever he had for next year (I think ~4M)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Signing bonus has already been paid out for this upcoming season, TSN article mentioned that I believe.

He is only walking away from his 1.5M salary this year and whatever he had for next year (I think ~4M)

He had a signing bonus of 2.75 this year (already paid) and has another of 2.75 next summer.

DieselBoy

Mar 18, 2007
Dang he had a great year offensively for the Providence Bruins before making the show full time. 20 goals and 45 assists.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hickey is done, he's one hit and resulting concussion away from retirement. Don't see Seattle having any interest in him TBH.

The Isles will expose a couple of forwards and save more cap that will go towards Pelech or Beauvillier. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield get protected while Dobson is exempt. Maybe Leddy gets taken, but he will be a pending UFA in 2022-23. Eberle or Bailey could be the most attractive assets for Seattle to choose.
It will be interesting to see how and if Lou can make Hickey and Ladd's contracts go to Robidas or Lupul island also. Though with Johnny, this seems on the up and up. In hindsight maybe not so surprising. The hit he took in the Florida series, he didn't see it. Knowing how Lou is loyal to his good foot soldiers, there is probably a job in the organization for Johnny if he wants it. I can see him behind a bench one day. Maybe as an assistant running the D. Trotz mentioned in the TB series, his off ice presence was missed. He's had a real good honest career. Nothing bad to say about the guy, and in retirement he is still helping the Isles.

Reactions: Olliemets

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Zetterberg retired for "chronic back problems" and didn't miss a single game for back problems in last 5 seasons.

He missed 5 games for knee injury.

These LTIRetirements are nothing but theatre. Hossa-case already did prove it.

There's always that possibility i guess but honestly, the way i see it these days is like.. who cares.

It's not a complete jail-free card for the team. In case of the Isles their hands will be extremely tied on what they can do @ the TDL. Using LTIR cap space all season means you got none.

And if you're a non-playoff team, well again, who cares.

I want to watch players who actually want to play and not have teams selling their arm and leg because of one old guy just to be cap compliant. I think it makes the league better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Welcome to the Hotel Lam-or-iel-lo, such a lovely place (such a lovely place).

But seriously, with an injury like that, and millions in the bank, why not retire and spend more time with the family.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Zetterberg retired for "chronic back problems" and didn't miss a single game for back problems in last 5 seasons.

He missed 5 games for knee injury.

These LTIRetirements are nothing but theatre. Hossa-case already did prove it.

The ease with which people accuse organizations of committing insurance fraud never ceases to amaze me.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Chris Pronger was still on LTIR when he took an office position. So technically he’d be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad