Johnny Boychuk suffers career ending eye injury

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
or how about this

-JB still wanted to play
-Lou needed to clear cap space and tried to find a home for him
-there wasn't anyone who would take him or take him for a sweetener the club found acceptable
-Lou then went to JB and gave him the option to go on ltir or get waived and play in the AHL
-JB decided to go on ltir and not retire which will still allow him to collect his full salary

but hey since i'm not in the mood to argue i'll agree that he really is unfit to play like Lupul/Zett/Hossa/Robidas were and it just took months to get diagnosed

Sounds like you figured it all out.

One wonders though that if cap circumvention is this simple, why Lou would force Boychuk -- a beloved teammate and still-viable 6th/7th dman -- to fake retire and weep about a made-up injury, rather than Ladd, a chronically injured non-entity with absolutely zero value to the team and holder of the league's most brutal contract.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Play where exactly ?

he's not tradable with that cap hit and if the Ilanders don't want him which they don't then where do you think he'll play ? you don't seem to realize that the choice of where to play isn't JB's

The Red Wings acquired Marc friggin Staal as a salary cap dump at $5.7 million. I'm guessing they and some other teams would've happily taken a guy who can actually play hockey as a cap dump for two seasons.

Reactions: SI90

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
For those who don't remember, Chris Pronger took a stick to the eye on Oct 24th, 2011. He missed 6 games, came back saying he was fully recovered and played 5 games before being unable to play and eventually retiring.

Pronger talked about having limited peripheral vision so he'd lost his "sixth sense" on the ice. He was having dizziness, light sensitivity, headaches.

He missed six games, then came back for five, insisting he felt fine even though, he says, “I was way off. Dizziness, nausea. I hid it. I didn’t say anything. But in the games you’re leaving yourself exposed to hits, making plays you wouldn’t normally make.” In Pronger’s fourth game back Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal drove him into the boards from behind. “Didn’t look bad,” Pronger recalls, “[but] bells started ringing. I just didn’t answer them.” Two nights later he left the arena in Winnipeg feeling woozy and disoriented. He has not played since.

SI Vault feature: The painful end of Chris Pronger's career

This all came out years after the actual injury, but I'm sure all you doctors out there who have no access to Boychuck have got the scam all figured out.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Red Wings acquired Marc friggin Staal as a salary cap dump at $5.7 million. I'm guessing they and some other teams would've happily taken a guy who can actually play hockey as a cap dump for two seasons.
Stall has 1 yr left on his contract unlike JB who has 2 yrs left and they also got a 2nd for taking Stall so the sweetener would have been higher on JB which i doubt Lou wanted to pay .

but don't worry , Bettman isn't monitoring this thread so it's unlikely he'll force the Islanders to put JB back on the cap so there's no need for you and others to work yourselves into a tizzy defending the "injury'

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Stall has 1 yr left on his contract unlike JB who has 2 yrs left and they also got a 2nd for taking Stall so the sweetener would have been higher on JB which i doubt Lou wanted to pay .

but don't worry , Bettman isn't monitoring this thread so it's unlikely he'll force the Islanders to put JB back on the cap so there's no need for you and others to work yourselves into a tizzy defending the "injury'
You can pretty much tell when someone has no leg to stand on in their argument when they resort to calling the other person triggered, or "working themselves into a tizzy."

I'm not an Isles fan or in particular a Johnny Boychuk fan. But I'm also not some bitter idiot.

I'm aware of how the Staal deal went down, which is why I called it a salary cap dump. And pointed out that unlike Staal, Boychuk is still a decent player. And one post later referenced the Pronger retirement for how a player could get an eye injury, play some games afterwards, then retire without it being some LTIR scam.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019

Man, you gotta stop embarrassing yourself anymore and just walk away.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
you and Lazio are right , there would have been a long line of teams outbidding each other for the rights to a bottom pair D with a 6m cap hit pf JB were healthy , lol

Last edited:

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
you and Lazio are right , there would have been a long line of teams outbidding each other for the rights to a bottom pair D with a 6m cap hit pf JB were healthy , lol
Yeah, that's exactly what i said :rolleyes:

Good going champ.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
strawman ?

you said because Stall was traded JB could have easily been as well and then you realized how ludicrous that sounded and now are trying to deflect
aww buddy, you almost made it through a whole post without making stuff up and telling me how I think.

Here's my original post:

Before the trade, most fans would probably have thought there was zero market to trade Marc Staal. Boychuk had two years left but can still play. The Red Wings I'm guessing would've taken those two years. They have the cap space, and needed actual NHL calibre defenseman. Easy trade? No. Possible? Certainly.

But if it makes you feel better you can keep pretending you have your finger on the pulse of NHL trade markets, just like you know Boychuk's medical information and the conspiracy that put him on LTIR.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lou > Dubas. Maybe one day, Dubas can be as good as Lou. But hey, support Dubas like you did with Babcock... before the Leafs turned on him.

So in short (since you are avoiding answering and opting to deflect), you can't back up your claim, essentially rendering it feces at a wall.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
aww buddy, you almost made it through a whole post without making stuff up and telling me how I think.

Here's my original post:

Before the trade, most fans would probably have thought there was zero market to trade Marc Staal. Boychuk had two years left but can still play. The Red Wings I'm guessing would've taken those two years. They have the cap space, and needed actual NHL calibre defenseman. Easy trade? No. Possible? Certainly.

But if it makes you feel better you can keep pretending you have your finger on the pulse of NHL trade markets, just like you know Boychuk's medical information and the conspiracy that put him on LTIR.
the Red Wings wanted the pick that came along with Stall not the player , no one and i'll repeat not one f***ing team in the league wants a bottom pair D who has a 6m cap hit with 2 years left unless it comes with a quality asset which is much more than the 2nd attached to Stall and which Lou wouldn't pay

but hey keep believing teams actually want JB if you like , lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the Red Wings wanted the pick that came along with Stall not the player , no one and i'll repeat not one f***ing team in the league wants a bottom pair D who has a 6m cap hit with 2 years left unless it comes with a quality asset which is much more than the 2nd attached to Stall and which Lou wouldn't pay

If somebody was looking at JB at his actual salary over the 2 years(5.25M over 2 years(or 2.625M a season)) compared to caphit(6M a year), I could see a few interested teams. Now this season probably isn't the best of seasons to try dump a bad contract cap wise eve if salary wise it is pretty fair.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

Yes thank you for explaining how a cap dump trade works, which I referenced in my original post.

Since you're under the illusion that you know what I think, what Lou thinks, what Boychuk thinks along with his medical diagnosis, I think we're done here.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If he's not blind, he can play. This has Hossa having allergy to hockey equipment bs written all over it.

LMAO, there have been countless players who have gone on LTIR in the last few years: Gaborik, Callahan, Kesler, MacArthur, Clarkson, I guess all their injuries were phantom as well and since they could walk OK they should have stuck around and finished out their contracts?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
LMAO, there have been countless players who have gone on LTIR in the last few years: Gaborik, Callahan, Kesler, MacArthur, Clarkson, I guess all their injuries were phantom as well and since they could walk OK they should have stuck around and finished out their contracts?

Chris Pronger talks about eye injury, says he lost that 'sixth sense'.
"What happened was, I had 30-year-old eyes. I got hit and the doctor told me I had 60-year-old eyes," Pronger said. "I don't have very good peripheral vision. That so-called sixth sense? I used to have a really good one. Now, I couldn't feel anyone coming around a corner. My kids scare me all the time.
"That used to be what I was known for: knowing where everybody was; having a feel for who was around me. Now I don't have that."

I guess Boychuk just copied Pronger :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad