John Vanbiesbrouck vs Mike Richter

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Ok.

And? He apologized and we move on.

He was about as great an athlete as I've met and he really went out of his way to give my son (aspiring goalie) some goaltending tips, pointers, and words of encouragement. I will never forget that

Sorry, you asked what we're talking about, and I told you. I thought you were genuinely interested.

I'm a fan of Vanbiesbrouck's. And you asked what was being discussed.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
Sorry, you asked what we're talking about, and I told you. I thought you were genuinely interested.

I'm a fan of Vanbiesbrouck's. And you asked what was being discussed.

Understood.

I immediately started thinking of the Mactavish incident or what happened with the Caps around 1990 (not to go into details) and began thinking...$hit did Beezer have one of these type of moments and I just forgot?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I just wanted to point out that calling a 19-year-old a highly offensive racial slur -- in front of his teammates, no less -- does kind of make you a bad person.

It doesn't mean Beezer isn't a good guy in lots of other ways. I'm sure he is. But our actions have consequences. Imagine if a white boss at a big company shouted the same racial slur at a 19-year-old woman. You'd be saying he's "not a bad person"? It's all debatable and we can each have our own opinion, but, for me, what he said does make him a bad person.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Perhaps I should be more fair to Beezer, so I'll just add: He did (as reported several years ago) apologize for his words and he expressed deep regret. I respect that, and of course everyone deserves a second chance.

But we are defined by what we do and how we treat people. And so it should be.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
racist bullying aside, this is my vibe on this comp

bruce-springsteen-1970s-30.jpg

Bruce-Springsteen-Birthday-Lucy-Dacus-Story.jpg

MV5BMTgxMTc3MDg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ3NTc0MDE@._V1_.jpg

032fecd178d97b71.jpg

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Perhaps I should be more fair to Beezer, so I'll just add: He did (as reported several years ago) apologize for his words and he expressed deep regret. I respect that, and of course everyone deserves a second chance.

But we are defined by what we do and how we treat people. And so it should be.
If I'm not mistaken, by Daley's account he has never apologized to Daley directly or reached out to him. And if I'm not mistaken, one of John's few comments on the issue was to the effect of "well he could reach out to me...".

Everyone deserves a second chance, but there hasn't been much of an indication that Beezer has made the effort to learn & change. (Granted, just because it's not public doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I would think that the literal first step of any reconciliation would be to speak to Daley directly, which Trevor says still has not happened...)

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
why did the rangers keep richter over beezer? a question i asked myself at the time. but then i also wondered why the canucks didn't keep beezer and expose kay whitmore..

I know I´m quoting ten year old post and you probably already know this. But they had to expose both. The thing that I even realized just recently that without having a good bait they could have lost Dave Babych. But team could only lose goalie or Dman.

I have seen speculation that if in the case someone would have selected Babych the future consideration of that Vanbiesbrouck trade could have been Whitmore. And Canucks would have gone with VBK and McLean. And keep Lidster instead in defence.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I have always selected Vanbiesbrouck over Richter. But it is fair to point that after sharing 90-91 regular season (playing in every other game almost entire season) Richter became the one that was considered number 1. 91 Canada Cup he was the starting goalie. He probably would have played more games than VBK also in 91-92, but Richter had contract dispute that made him miss few games early and missed 12 games in the middle of season. Atleast papers regarded him a number one. And ofcourse in 93 they traded VBK.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have been played out in 96 World Cup. VBK came from big playoffs. But had shoulder surgery in August which made him miss the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor No

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I just wanted to point out that calling a 19-year-old a highly offensive racial slur -- in front of his teammates, no less -- does kind of make you a bad person.

It doesn't mean Beezer isn't a good guy in lots of other ways. I'm sure he is. But our actions have consequences. Imagine if a white boss at a big company shouted the same racial slur at a 19-year-old woman. You'd be saying he's "not a bad person"? It's all debatable and we can each have our own opinion, but, for me, what he said does make him a bad person.

People are complicated folks. If that makes Beezer a bad person for life...then what is 90% of the earth bad people. Damn near everyone has said something they shouldn't and they regret it.

You can say he had a bad moment. But not that he's a bad person. It's not like he's led a life being horrible to others. Many others have

Reactions: vikash1987

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
People are complicated folks. If that makes Beezer a bad person for life...then what is 90% of the earth bad people. Damn near everyone has said something they shouldn't and they regret it.

You can say he had a bad moment. But not that he's a bad person. It's not like he's led a life being horrible to others. Many others have

This really shouldn't be a hill you're willing to die on

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I know I´m quoting ten year old post and you probably already know this. But they had to expose both. The thing that I even realized just recently that without having a good bait they could have lost Dave Babych. But team could only lose goalie or Dman.

I have seen speculation that if in the case someone would have selected Babych the future consideration of that Vanbiesbrouck trade could have been Whitmore. And Canucks would have gone with VBK and McLean. And keep Lidster instead in defence.

this is amazing, thank you. i never knew any of this. my whole life i'd heard that it was because they really really wanted to retain whitmore as their backup.

tbh, i never in a million years understood why they'd go to such lengths, dependable as he was back there.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
this is amazing, thank you. i never knew any of this. my whole life i'd heard that it was because they really really wanted to retain whitmore as their backup.

tbh, i never in a million years understood why they'd go to such lengths, dependable as he was back there.

It is also truth that they wanted to keep Whitmore as backup, but that trade had more dimensions.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Beezer went through an awful lot in his final season with the Rangers, both on and off the ice. It was really a sad situation—anyone with a heart would’ve felt for what the guy went through. In retrospect, I’m not sure if this played a role in the Rangers’ decision, but the change of scenery certainly worked out for both him and the Rangers.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
I like Beezer but the Rangers probably don't win the 94 Cup with him replacing Richter. People don't realize how huge Richter was vs. the Devils and Canucks that postseason. However, as another poster alluded to, perhaps Beezer is a better fit on a more defensive minded team. Beezer was always the type of goalie who might not face one shot for 10 minutes straight and still be ready to go if a flurry of shots came his way afterwards. In that sense he was a great fit for a team like the 96 Panthers where he shined. I think Richter was more the type of goalie who performed better under pressure situations and facing tons of shots consistently.

As far as the other stuff with Beezer goes, we've all said or thought things that have hurt people equally as bad so as long as he apologized I'm good with it. People tend to be very unforgiving towards others yet when they themselves mess up, they want understanding and forgiveness. If you want something for yourself you have to be willing to give it to others as well. According to my beliefs, none of us are "good people" so I always laugh a bit when people use that term. We all mess up. The key is to try and learn and be better after we do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad