John Vanbiesbrouck vs Mike Richter

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It would've been interesting comparing both guys had they both played on a defensively minded teams. I always liked Beezer, but felt a trap playing team made him look a lot better than he was. I didn't think there was some zen level he found all of a sudden in his 30s.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
93 Rangers team is probably the most talented team ever that flat out SUCKED. (No clue why they were so awful I was still young but its mind boggling they had that bad a year between 92 and 94 teams which were legendary.) So that works against Beezer.

I thought Van Beezbrook was always better and was unsure why Richter was chosen over him for USA. I think the 94 Cup win is why though. So overall Van Beisbrook is the better goalie but Richters cup in 94 somehow gives him the nod for the better career because it resulted in him being the goalie for team USA. But late 90s Van Beisbrook on Florida was better than Richter on the Rangers.

Richter was the starting goalie for team USA from the moment he turned pro until he retired. Vanbiesbrouck was his backup in the 91 Canada Cup.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
As a Richter-idolizer, I always feel very upset that injuries and crappy Rangers teams in the late 90s took away from what could have been an extraordinary legacy.

His mask is inked on my arm, he was the best part of the 1990s Rangers. Some are too young to remember, but just like the King currently does, Richter was the entire team on MANY MANY occasions. Recall the skills competitions, IMO it wasn't a question who the best one on one goaltender of the 1990s. One hell of a penalty shot record too.

I never thought anyone would compare for our team until a 205th overall pick sat in the throne.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It would've been interesting comparing both guys had they both played on a defensively minded teams. I always liked Beezer, but felt a trap playing team made him look a lot better than he was. I didn't think there was some zen level he found all of a sudden in his 30s.

Beezer, on the 10 games he played for NJ was better looking than Brodeur ever was. Beezer was probably the best positional goaltender I've seen, and behind that Stevens led D...I'll never forget it.

blamebettman*

This sums it up. Richter was also the better person.

what? I've met Beezer twice and he was one of the most decent, humble, human beings I've ever met. He loved talking about hockey, heck he carried most of the conversation.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Beezer is a calm kind of guy so my guess is that when he gets pissed off he blacks out. I bet most of us have said things we regret. Not saying its an excuse but lets not define a person by one act.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
It's always older posters who say "let's excuse the guy for being a little temporarily racist!"

I'm jewish. I know all about segregation and racial slurs in Canada. That why I said, " Not saying its an excuse but lets not define a person by one act.".

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I take Vanbiesbrouck pretty easily. Vezina trophy, ability to carry teams on his back (Richter could not have carried the Panthers to the finals, greater longevity.

I think a closer comparison would be Vanbiesbrouck vs. Kolzig.

blamebettman*

It's always older posters who say "let's excuse the guy for being a little temporarily racist!"

Lets put things in perspective...he didnt lynch anybody, he didnt threaten anybodys life at gunpoint, he didnt get drunk and kill anybody with his car, he didnt steal tons of money from innocent people.

Couple of wrong words which I'm sure he regrets, and 90% of the people around here have said or thought the same things at some point and now are criticising him. Hypocrites! He lost his cool for a second...he's not a member of thr aryan nation for petes sake!

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Lets put things in perspective...he didnt lynch anybody, he didnt threaten anybodys life at gunpoint, he didnt get drunk and kill anybody with his car, he didnt steal tons of money from innocent people.

Couple of wrong words which I'm sure he regrets, and 90% of the people around here have said or thought the same things at some point and now are criticising him. Hypocrites! He lost his cool for a second...he's not a member of thr aryan nation for petes sake!

This has been discussed ad nauseum. He called a child he was hired to coach a slur. There's nothing else to see here.

Hopefully people will continue to pretend it impacts his resume as a goalie and subsequently make their leaps. I'm just waiting for the discussions on gentrification.

Bobo420

Jun 13, 2007
Beezer's 1996 Cup run was the stuff of legend, they had NO BUSINESS being there at all, not to mention he had a sweet helmet with the Panthers, I vote for him even though Richter was still awesome, both great goalies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

it's always the older posters who say, "...and 90% of the people around here have said or thought the same things at some point." (not all of the older posters, mind you; but it's always an older poster)

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

You could take this post a couple of different ways.

It could just as easily mean "the older posters have more life experience, so maybe we should listen to what they are saying."

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Richter has a cup and a world cup and was picked over the beezer in international tournaments throughout both of their careers. I tend to think that Richter was the better goalie, but not by that much.
I think that was age with potential that would have gotten him that gig. New York had star power back then much how the leafs are hated for always being in the news. I very much think Beezer would have matched him start for start. Threw out the later years.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020

Ok.

And? He apologized and we move on.

He was about as great an athlete as I've met and he really went out of his way to give my son (aspiring goalie) some goaltending tips, pointers, and words of encouragement. I will never forget that

Also why say well Richter is a better person...both Richter and Beezer are great and I miss the old wars the Devils and he Rangers used to have. I respected the hell out of both.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad