Speculation: John Tortorella To Be Let Go? (Mod warning post #238)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Torts still hanging on. Discouraging.

The local media keeps this drumbeat going. Tony Gallagher even went after Linden in the Province today for the inaction, suggesting that even though Linden says he has a plan, it looks like he actually doesn't. It didn't take long for Gollum to strike. :laugh: He's probably right though, I doubt Linden had long to formulate a plan before being hired.

If it was a foregone conclusion that he was being fired, they should have done him the courtesy of letting him go by now. Maybe it's a case of Linden wanting his new GM (assuming he doesn't hire himself as GM) to hire his own coach, but I'm not sure that we have the luxury of time.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
The local media keeps this drumbeat going. Tony Gallagher even went after Linden in the Province today for the inaction, suggesting that even though Linden says he has a plan, it looks like he actually doesn't. It didn't take long for Gollum to strike. :laugh: He's probably right though, I doubt Linden had long to formulate a plan before being hired.

If it was a foregone conclusion that he was being fired, they should have done him the courtesy of letting him go by now. Maybe it's a case of Linden wanting his new GM (assuming he doesn't hire himself as GM) to hire his own coach, but I'm not sure that we have the luxury of time.

Yeah, you might want to get used to that, Gallagher is not a Linden fan, never has been. He'll be roasting him every chance he gets.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Actually, if the team is aiming to tank, as some may have speculated, it is a good sign that the owners are willing to swallow a short term financial loss (no playoff revenue) for the betterment of the team. Maybe they are not all gun-ho about making the playoffs every year.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not sure why holding on to Torts means that franchise is aiming to tank...

That's really the most absurd conclusion I've heard of, were we aiming for a tank when we kept AV after he missed the playoffs his second season?

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I could be wrong but the impression I got from the end of season player press conference was the players are completely expecting Torts to be fired. I just can't see why they are dragging this on... unless Aquillini really likes him and wants to keep him.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Well, we saw how almost everyone regressed under Torts. And also some of the questionable coaching moves he made. It is not unreasonable to think we will get the same result if the Canucks continue with the same coach.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Maybe the opportunity to fire Torts is an incentive that they think will give them an edge in luring a GM? :)

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Well, we saw how almost everyone regressed under Torts. And also some of the questionable coaching moves he made. It is not unreasonable to think we will get the same result if the Canucks continue with the same coach.

Well the team was hardly playing up the expectations prior to Torts either. We were going downhill before, just went WAY down the cliff under Torts.

Wetcoaster

What an extremely selfish move on his part, if there is an opportunity for Blashill to upgrade his career and fulfill his dreams then he should have every right to do so. Holland could just be badgering with the media because I'm sure he doesn't want other GMs hounding him for permission to speak to a rising star coach.
Why? Blashill is under contract and unless he has specific clause giving him the right to seek a head coaching position with an NHL team during the currency of that contract then the contract applies and it is enforced per NHL By-Laws.

The NHL has specific rules under its by-laws regarding registering contracts of non-playing personnel and forbidding any club from contacting such a person who is under contract (no tampering) as with players. See Section 15.1 (b) of the NHL By-Laws:
http://www.bizofhockey.com/docs/NHLBy-Laws.pdf

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I could be wrong but the impression I got from the end of season player press conference was the players are completely expecting Torts to be fired. I just can't see why they are dragging this on... unless Aquillini really likes him and wants to keep him.

I got the exact opposite impression. The Sedins were especially adamant that Tortorella wasn't the problem

Wetcoaster

I got the exact opposite impression. The Sedins were especially adamant that Tortorella wasn't the problem
That is what the Sedins said for public consumption - what they say privately is another issue.

That is what occurred with Tortorella in New York as the players public statements of support did not hold up in private interviews with Sather.

Glen Sather said yesterday the decision to fire John Tortorella was his. The reality is the players made the decision for the club president and general manager.

The Rangers players had had enough of the coach and they said so during their exit meetings on Monday. Sources have confirmed Sather had no intention of dismissing Tortorella in the wake of the team’s second-round elimination by the Bruins until a critical mass of players informed the GM that the coach’s overbearing personality had become a roadblock to success.​
http://nypost.com/2013/05/30/rangers-players-made-it-clear-to-sather-coachs-act-was-wearing-thin/

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
That is what the Sedins said for public consumption - what they say privately is another issue.

That is what occurred with Tortorella in New York as the players public statements of support did not hold up in private interviews with Sather.

Glen Sather said yesterday the decision to fire John Tortorella was his. The reality is the players made the decision for the club president and general manager.

The Rangers players had had enough of the coach and they said so during their exit meetings on Monday. Sources have confirmed Sather had no intention of dismissing Tortorella in the wake of the team’s second-round elimination by the Bruins until a critical mass of players informed the GM that the coach’s overbearing personality had become a roadblock to success.​
http://nypost.com/2013/05/30/rangers-players-made-it-clear-to-sather-coachs-act-was-wearing-thin/

exactly. and i found it very interesting that ryan kesler said during the end of season presser that he didn't request a trade, but he won't comment on whether or not he submitted a list of teams.

so to me that screams he technically didn't request a trade but he would be open to one if he could go to one of the teams he submitted on his list.

speaks to the whole public consumption thing.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'm going crazy, man. Fire this guy, don't keep him! I'm this close to protesting in front of Rogers arena in a balaclava.

I wonder if there's some league mandate not to do anything to disrupt the playoffs. Dreger on the TSN Radio said they didn't want to can Carlye yet and disrupt the playoffs (he seemed to indicate no Carlyle was a foregone conclusion). Hoping it's the same thing in Vancouver and we hear news of Tort's head rolling as soon as the second round is done.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

If the Rangers lose tonight (in a game 7 - anything can happen) - who will the players blame this time? (having their season end one round earlier *WITH* an additional legit 1st liner like MSL compared to last season)

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site

I didn't say they said he was the problem. You misunderstood what I said. My impression was the players felt bad about people losing their jobs. Only Gillis was fired at that point. They repeatedly said people, plural.

They expected him and the coaching staff to be fired. That is what I meant. Not them throwing the coaching staff under the bus.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I'm not sure why holding on to Torts means that franchise is aiming to tank...

That's really the most absurd conclusion I've heard of, were we aiming for a tank when we kept AV after he missed the playoffs his second season?

The conclusion is sound. Torts has a long-standing track record of playing the shinola out of his top players and minimizing ice time of 4th liners. Bad idea given our travel requirements and age of core players. Emphasis on shot-blocking, collapsing to net in D zone with corresponding diminished opportunities for odd man breakouts, brutal PP, etc. and you have good recipe for non success.

I'm not too upset, however, since the team will be bad for a few years irrespective of coaching. If Torts helps with gaining a better draft position for 2015 that's just dandy.

It is the long term that is more concerning. Torts staying cannot but imply that Linden truly is ownership's yes man. New GM, unlike in Calgary, needs to be firm and insist on right to select his own coach.

Also, apples and oranges with regards to team make up/age of stars (or perspective stars) now compared to when AV last missed the playoffs.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
David Ebner ‏@DavidEbner 2m

Canucks want GM in place by late May, early June. Interviews to begin, probably, next week, says Trevor Linden on Fan 590.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I'm going crazy, man. Fire this guy, don't keep him! I'm this close to protesting in front of Rogers arena in a balaclava.

I wonder if there's some league mandate not to do anything to disrupt the playoffs. Dreger on the TSN Radio said they didn't want to can Carlye yet and disrupt the playoffs (he seemed to indicate no Carlyle was a foregone conclusion). Hoping it's the same thing in Vancouver and we hear news of Tort's head rolling as soon as the second round is done.

i thought that too but it didn't stop the florida panthers from rocking the sports world by announcing their interim coach was canned right in the middle of round 1

:laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is it possible that Van owners are hoping another NHL job will open up for Torts (don't laugh) so that they will not have to write a 8 million dollar check for Torts to go away?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Is it possible that Van owners are hoping another NHL job will open up for Torts (don't laugh) so that they will not have to write a 8 million dollar check for Torts to go away?

More likely Linden is focusing on the GM hire and will assess with his management what they want behind the bench when the new GM is hired.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

How many jobs did Mike Keenan manage to get? A number of them - particularly those that had at least SOME kind of success (even if a while ago) - tend to get recycled throughout the league.

Wetcoaster

Just make sure you do not incite a riot while wearing the mask.

Bill C-309—the Preventing Persons from Concealing Their Identities during Riots and Unlawful Assemblies Act—makes it a crime punishable by a ten-year prison term to incite a riot while wearing a mask or any face covering, including face paint.

Someone who merely participates in a riot or in an “unlawful†assembly with their face covered can, under the new law, be deemed to have committed an indictable criminal offense and jailed for up to five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad