Speculation: John Tortorella To Be Let Go? (Mod warning post #238)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I hope this is the case. I rather see our new GM (whoever he is) bring in his own guy.

Torts just does not work with this team... In my opinion it's not a coincidence Henrik's Iron man streak ended... Torts style just doesn't suite this team.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
A few of the local reporters have hinted at Torts being done by Monday, and Linden's initial interview didn't really come off as an endorsement..

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, the general feeling I got from both Linden and Aquallini is that Torts will be gone very shortly after the end of the season. I expect another sweep of the coaches offices.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
this is great news.

bring in quinn as an advisor, poach an assistant gm from another team and let that guy bring in a coach who fits the ideals of t-linden.

so far so good.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Glad to see Aquilini finally ponying up some buy-out money: First eating 15% of Lu's contract, then buying out Gillis and now hopefully Torts.

The lesson is: Stop giving out long term contracts.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'd say it's more than speculation when the owner says:

"Mike hired John and I supported that decision, so I have to own part of that mistake"

That isn't the real quote (can't find the real one right now) but the meaning is the same.

Torts is done. Ownership threw him under the bus before Gillis' corpse was cold.

This will be a GM and head coach purge. I suspect the assistants will be given a chance to stay in the organization but perhaps not. Gilman will be given a chance to stay due to being a cap guru who doesn't seem to want to be the main guy.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I'd want to say give him another half a season, but seeing as what transpired this year, maybe that is not a good idea.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I'd say it's more than speculation when the owner says:

"Mike hired John and I supported that decision, so I have to own part of that mistake"

That isn't the real quote (can't find the real one right now) but the meaning is the same.

Torts is done. Ownership threw him under the bus before Gillis' corpse was cold.

This will be a GM and head coach purge. I suspect the assistants will be given a chance to stay in the organization but perhaps not. Gilman will be given a chance to stay due to being a cap guru who doesn't seem to want to be the main guy.

it's true. not sure why that quote didn't gain more traction but it was something along the lines of what you said...

'mike made the decision to hire john and i supported that decision. i have to accept responsibility for that, and that's why we're seeing a change today'

tire tracks all over torts.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Well, Torts will still get paid. Hopefully he saved and invested his money well because after this disaster season, he's not getting hired in the NHL again.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Well, Torts will still get paid. Hopefully he saved and invested his money well because after this disaster season, he's not getting hired in the NHL again.

read somewhere there's a buyout clause so he won't be getting paid the full amount but i'd imagine it would still be in the millions

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Please keep Quinn as far away from this team as possible. I really hope Linden is smart enough to do that.

As for Torts, I think he's a convenient whipping boy here. Whatever, I'm done fighting it, the peanut gallery has spoken. The season ticket holders needed to be appeased, so MG unfairly took the hit and I think Torts will too.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Please keep Quinn as far away from this team as possible. I really hope Linden is smart enough to do that.

As for Torts, I think he's a convenient whipping boy here. Whatever, I'm done fighting it, the peanut gallery has spoken. The season ticket holders needed to be appeased, so MG unfairly took the hit and I think Torts will too.

The thing with Torts is that his system only works when the team is healthy, and well rested. He didn't trust the bottom 6 enough and would bench players after making a mistake way too often. Add to that the fact he wants them to play a dump and chase style, and while the dump and chase works from time to time, playing it as a style is just plain dumb. He's a dinosaur in todays hockey. His cup win came before the new rules came into effect and the league was still in the "dead puck era".

You also have to take into account that Torts completely embarassed the organization with his actions vs Calgary. You can also throw how Torts handled the Heritage Classic/Luongo deal into reasons why he shouldn't stay.

Unless Linden is willing to give Torts a mulligan on the season, there is no reason why he should be kept on IMO.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I dont like the idea of Quinn being brought in. I feel that his ideas wont translate to the current NHL format.

I'm not too excited with the Quinn idea as well. That being said he's a smart guy I'd assume he learned from his time with the Oilers that failed miserably, so I wouldn't put it past him to be a good consultant. If Quinn is anything more than a consultant than I'm going to be very concerned.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
At this point I don't really care. Changes are needed on the ice before anything changes in the standings next year.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The thing with Torts is that his system only works when the team is healthy, and well rested. He didn't trust the bottom 6 enough and would bench players after making a mistake way too often. Add to that the fact he wants them to play a dump and chase style, and while the dump and chase works from time to time, playing it as a style is just plain dumb. He's a dinosaur in todays hockey. His cup win came before the new rules came into effect and the league was still in the "dead puck era".

You also have to take into account that Torts completely embarassed the organization with his actions vs Calgary. You can also throw how Torts handled the Heritage Classic/Luongo deal into reasons why he shouldn't stay.

Unless Linden is willing to give Torts a mulligan on the season, there is no reason why he should be kept on IMO.

Money would be the only reason Torts stays... as in the Aquilini's don't want to pay him AND pay a new coach.

If they're as willing to spend money as they claim, then Torts should be gone by season's end.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

I thought MG's firing was unfair and was merely pandering to season ticket holders, but there are definitely grounds to get rid of Torts.

I don't think though that firing Torts will result in an immediate rebound, or that he was directly responsible for the loss of more than a couple points in the standings. Remember that two seasons ago, he coached the Rangers to the conference finals, and last year coached them to the second round when they arguably had no business being in the playoffs in the first place.

This team had a pretty good cushion before New Years, and the wheels came off as injuries piled up. I think the Calgary incident was due to some pent up frustration from their awful California road trip and horrid January to that point.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
At this point I don't really care. Changes are needed on the ice before anything changes in the standings next year.

Yeah people lose sight of the fact this team was already declining under Vigneault. This season just saw the decline at a vastly accelerated rate.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Quinn is both the best coach and best GM this team has ever had, so it would make sense for Linden to lean on him for advice.

I think a senior advisor role, or something similar, would make a lot of sense.

Linden will have to surround himself with people with a more modern take as well (capologist, analytics, etc.), but there's no substitute for experience and wisdom, which Quinn has in spades.

As far as Tortorella goes, the writing appears to be on the wall. Although, if we've learned anything about Torts this season it's that he's a hell of a talker - he'll make a good case for himself. But I think that decision has been made.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Yeah people lose sight of the fact this team was already declining under Vigneault. This season just saw the decline at a vastly accelerated rate.

At the end of AVs reign and this season under Torts the Canucks stopped playing a strong puck possession game. I think this has more to do with the downfall than anything. The Canucks need to get back to that style. You can play a strong defensive style with good fundementals (using Linden terms here) and be a strong puck possession team at the same time. The Canucks tried to clamp down on the defensive side but didn't continue to control the puck well enough when they had it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

No doubt. Sadly that FACT will probably go with out mention by media and fans simply because of the firing of the GM and potentially the coach. This team has been on a downward turn for 3 seasons now. Playing in that weak NW division sure insulated the issues we now see.

Nothing is going to change until change happens on the ice.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I caught Aquamans dig at Gillis as well in the presser and that's probably a big reason Gillis is gone.Hires Torts with his history and his boring and taxing style of play and signs him up for 4 years...Aquillini can't be too pleased to see his cash invested for that something with that high of potential for disaster and having the disaster fully realized in this awful season.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Quinn is both the best coach and best GM this team has ever had, so it would make sense for Linden to lean on him for advice.

I think a senior advisor role, or something similar, would make a lot of sense.

Linden will have to surround himself with people with a more modern take as well (capologist, analytics, etc.), but there's no substitute for experience and wisdom, which Quinn has in spades.

As far as Tortorella goes, the writing appears to be on the wall. Although, if we've learned anything about Torts this season it's that he's a hell of a talker - he'll make a good case for himself. But I think that decision has been made.

AV and Gillis were both measurably better than Quinn.

Also, I can't see any way Tortorella is here next year after Aquilini said he fired Gillis for hiring Tortorella. That seems like the world's largest red flag.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I like Torts but there is really no business case to keep him:
1. Almost every player on the team fell off the cliff.
2. He changed the use of Sedins from offensive zone starts to two way players and their production fell significantly.
3. He rode Kesler too hard early on along with the Sedins. These guys look worn out some nights.
4. The Power Play and scoring were abysmal.
5. A once solid defence looks dysfunctional. The pieces just don't look good together.
6. He lost his compusure completely against Calgary.

Sure there is lots of blame to go around and the players, Gillis and probably ownership share the blame. But you really have to get a new coach too. The team achieved terrible results and the on ice product was terrible to watch. Hockey is entertainment as well as results.

I hope he lands a job somewhere else again as I think he came into a tough situation but he also takes some of the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad